Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Ran across this good article about Janet Guthrie - the first female driver to race on a superspeedway in a NASCAR circuit, - and all the crap she had to put up with just to race.

She blazed the trail that others followed and that Danica, Jennifer, Johanna, ect... are firmly traveling today.

espnW -- Janet Guthrie outraced insults to make auto racing history - espnW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Whenever I think of female drivers, I always think of this story:

Louise Smith (July 31, 1916 – March 4, 2006) was tied for the second woman to race in NASCAR at the top level. She was known as "the first lady of racing."
She went as a spectator to her first NASCAR race at the Daytona Beach Road Course in 1949. She could not stand watching the races, so she entered her family's shiny new Ford coupe in the race and rolled it. Her hometown Greenville, South Carolina paper featured photos of the wreck, and the town knew about it before she got home."

Louise Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't remember who told the story, but I remember laughing so hard and it has stuck in my mind forever.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Kitty O'Neil:
When Kitty O'Neil broke the women's land-speed record by - 01.17.77 - SI Vault
Deaf stuntwoman Kitty O'Neil sets women's land-speed record — History.com This Day in History — 12/6/1976

This took place in an extremely remote area of Oregon, Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert, a great place to visit:
Alvord Desert/Mann Lake Oregon/Washington BLM
Steens Mountain Oregon/Washington BLM

Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
My biggest gripe with all the Danica mania is that people tend to ignore she's neither the first nor the most successful female in motorsports. Like Harrier and tulani mentioned there was also Janet Guthrie and Louise Smith.

For my money the most successful female in motorsports is still Shirley Muldowney. She was the first woman to win an NHRA top fuel event, the first woman to win an NHRA Championship, and the first person (male or female) to win 3 NHRA Top Fuel Championships.

Instead of watching the marketing machine that is Danica, watch Courtney Force and Erica Enders-Stevens. Unlike Danica, they can compete at the highest level and actually win.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
+1 on Shirley Muldowney. I also have raced against Donna Mae Mimms in SCCA back at Steel Cities International Raceway. Fast and hot. ;-)

Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Oh yes - I had forgotten about NHRA. Thanks for mentioning that. Drag racing has a better history of being accepting of both genders than other motorsports. Shirley was awesome!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
My biggest gripe with all the Danica mania is that people tend to ignore she's neither the first nor the most successful female in motorsports. Like Harrier and tulani mentioned there was also Janet Guthrie and Louise Smith.

For my money the most successful female in motorsports is still Shirley Muldowney. She was the first woman to win an NHRA top fuel event, the first woman to win an NHRA Championship, and the first person (male or female) to win 3 NHRA Top Fuel Championships.

Instead of watching the marketing machine that is Danica, watch Courtney Force and Erica Enders-Stevens. Unlike Danica, they can compete at the highest level and actually win.
From this point forward everthing she does in NASCAR will out pace Janet Guthrie. The biggest contribution DP has made to circuit racing is securing big money sponsors to give her the best opportunity as any male driver out there. This can only be a good thing for the women who come in behind her.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
From this point forward everthing she does in NASCAR will out pace Janet Guthrie. The biggest contribution DP has made to circuit racing is securing big money sponsors to give her the best opportunity as any male driver out there. This can only be a good thing for the women who come in behind her.
Guthrie opened the door, Danica is blowing it up.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
There were other females in the Busch series for a while. Names escape me.

I remember one female driver (again no name, maybe Deborah something?) who quit racing after she t-boned a driver and killed him. Worst hit I have ever seen in racing.
It is one of those images that I wish would leave my mind, but it refuses to go away. I felt so bad for all involved that fateful day.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
^^ Deborah Renshaw ARCA driver

Eric Martin 2002 USA Concord - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing