Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,568,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
A bit of a joke with these tyres. I don't want a 2010-like parade season, but this race was a bit too much, frankly.
Agreed.
2/3(max) stops should be the goal. The Hard tires lasting as long as they do is a joke. I was hoping the tires would have matured by now. They aren't graining/breaking apart as bad as in the first few races, but still.

The races now come down to strategy rather than racing(with a bit of strategy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,347,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Agreed.
2/3(max) stops should be the goal. The Hard tires lasting as long as they do is a joke. I was hoping the tires would have matured by now. They aren't graining/breaking apart as bad as in the first few races, but still.

The races now come down to strategy rather than racing(with a bit of strategy).
Kimi is able to pull of 2/3 stop races. I think the tires might need some minor reworking still, but the fact that Lotus and Kimi are able to pull of races with 2-3 stops says that it is possible. However, it does take modifying the car and the driving style - especially for drivers like Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, and Rosberg.

Overall I feel the worse for Rosberg, he has shown a LOT of promise so far this season but the tires have caused continuous issues for him. I honestly think he'd be at the same level of competition as Vettel and Kimi had it not been for the tire issues.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:33 AM

245 posts, read 297,377 times
I don't understand why the tire performance is different on each car Mercedes suffer the most, Ferrari and Red bull are average, and Lotus are the best tire savers

Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM

6,462 posts, read 8,132,055 times
I believe Mercedes is struggling with rear-end instability and grip. They have sacrificed front downforce in order to fix that problem.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,347,071 times
Pirelli has just announced they will have new tires ready for Canada and are hoping they will fit into the 2-3 stop strategy. From what I read they were already planning to do this but with multiple drivers having to make 4 stops in Barcelona they moved it up from Silverstone to the Canadian race.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,749,413 times
I think that Pirelli knows there is a problem and is changing the tires, but: if my only two choices are watching teams do a lot of pit stops or have the drivers really dial back to conserve tires, I'll take the pit stops.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
I don't understand why the tire performance is different on each car Mercedes suffer the most, Ferrari and Red bull are average, and Lotus are the best tire savers

Chassis and suspension.

Mercedes is more related to suspension. Specifically camber issues.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I think that Pirelli knows there is a problem and is changing the tires, but: if my only two choices are watching teams do a lot of pit stops or have the drivers really dial back to conserve tires, I'll take the pit stops.

Agreed.
I think the degradation also has to do with new rules.

After what Lisan23 said above, I'm assuming some sort of compromise/resolution was made by the FIA/drivers and Pirelli.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Kimi is able to pull of 2/3 stop races. I think the tires might need some minor reworking still, but the fact that Lotus and Kimi are able to pull of races with 2-3 stops says that it is possible. However, it does take modifying the car and the driving style - especially for drivers like Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, and Rosberg.

Overall I feel the worse for Rosberg, he has shown a LOT of promise so far this season but the tires have caused continuous issues for him. I honestly think he'd be at the same level of competition as Vettel and Kimi had it not been for the tire issues.
True and agreed.

I think Lotus's success with the Pirellis may have something to do with the way they developed their chassis to work with the tires. Their budget is a lot tighter than the top teams, so they probably focused on that area.

Red Bull have always generally focused on cornering and reliability. At least in the recent years.

Ferrari on reliability and performance. Pretty much the same with Mercedes and where Force India now need to be focusing.

Mclaren actually seem to have a pretty decent car. I know they are using a completely new chassis which is where their headaches seem to have started. The chassis seems to be maturing now though, after the last race. They also seem to be lacking in performance though.

At least thats what I've taken from this season so far and thinking back a few.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,749,413 times
So F1 has apparently issued a statement that Pirelli cannot change tire compounds unless there is a safety issue. I say "issued a statement" because I am not sure that will actually have any affect on Pirelli's plans.

So, US F1 fans, it is time for Monaco (my least favorite F1 race, personally). Here is what I can deduce from net schedules:

On NBC:
Sunday, 7:30 am (eastern) Monaco Grand Prix

My local NBC affiliate frequently has a telethon this weekend and has both canceled and rescheduled broadcasts, at least I can pick it up on NBCSports later.

On NBCSports:
Thursday Monaco Grand Prix: Practice 1, 8:00am (eastern) LIVE
Friday Monaco Grand Prix: Practice 2, 1:30am (eastern) tape, rebroadcast 11:30pm (eastern)
Saturday, Monaco Grand Prix, Qualifying, 8:00am (eastern) LIVE, rebroadcast 10:30pm (eastern)
Sunday, Monaco Grand Prix 10:30am (eastern) tape, rebroadcast 10:30pm

For those of you who watch broadcasts live, I am not sure how you do it - first off, I am on the west coast, which means the race comes on at 4:30 am and second, how do you sit through those hideous commercials without the FF button?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing