Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,571,313 times

Advertisements

Details below:

SPEED Channel to become FOX Sports 1 | Mooresville Weekly

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,597,465 times
It looks like they're keeping most or all of the good content they currently have, so that's fine with me, though I wonder if they will continue to air tape delayed WoO and USAC events. SPEED hasn't been the same anyway since FOX took over IMO, I miss the classic NASCAR races and stuff like that.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
It looks like they're keeping most or all of the good content they currently have, so that's fine with me, though I wonder if they will continue to air tape delayed WoO and USAC events. SPEED hasn't been the same anyway since FOX took over IMO, I miss the classic NASCAR races and stuff like that.

how so? how in the world will they have the time to keep "most or all" of the good content they have?

Fox Sports launches direct challenge to ESPN dominance

It will have a daily 11 p.m. ET Fox Sports Live show meant to directly challenge ESPN's SportsCenter.

But ESPN vs. FS1 won't exactly be David vs. Goliath. Fox, through new or renewed deals for MLB, NASCAR, college football and basketball, UFC and other spor

Starting in 2014, FS1 will carry regular-season MLB games for 26 weeks – but the Fox broadcast network will go from its 26-week schedule to just 12 regular-season game broadcast windows. Fox also says an unspecified number of its MLB postseason games, in divisional and LCS play, will migrate from Fox to FS1, as will an unspecified number of NASCAR Sprint Cup races and UFC mixed-martial arts events.
Fox is closing in on a deal for the TV basketball rights for the Catholic colleges, including Georgetown and Marquette, that are leaving the Big East but likely will keep the conference name. But the deal wasn't announced Tuesday.

And yes, FS1 will offer light comedy. Its new shows will include Rush Hour, weekdays at 5 p.m. ET and hosted by Regis Philbin.

Other shows will include Fox Football Daily, weekdays at 6 p.m. ET. It will include appearances by Fox's various football analysts and announcers, including Terry Bradshaw, Jay Glazer, Howie Long, Erin Andrews and Mike Pereira

FS1 will also air an NFL pregame show that begins before Fox's and CBS' broadcast network shows – thus taking on the ESPN and NFL Network pregame shows

FS1 will also take on ESPN, as well as HBO Sports, in sports documentaries. Its Being series begins in the fall with a film on Mike Tyson.

================================================== ===========================

and the article, of course, didn't even mention all the soccer they will be showing which has been on their Fox Soccer Channel (premium cable tier) which further logjams the racing content.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM

Default Fuel Tv will be gone as well, rebranded Fox Sprots 2

from above link:

Fox is considering converting its Fuel TV channel, in at least 30 million TV households, to a Fox Sports 2 cable spinoff channel. But Fox's Freer says "we're not prepared to say anything on that now."

================================================== ===========================

they're not officially saying it but it's as good as gone, rumoured for a while now. It's only a matter of time.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,597,465 times
[quote=Badger;28540014]how so? how in the world will they have the time to keep "most or all" of the good content they have?

From Jayski:
NASCAR programming will include: Select NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races as soon as 2015; NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races; NASCAR Sprint All-Star race; all SpeedWeeks events leading up to the Daytona 500 including: Daytona 500 Qualifying, Sprint Unlimited at Daytona (2014, 2017-22) and the Budweiser Duel, now in prime time; NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NCWTS Practice and Qualifying sessions; NASCAR RaceDay, providing pre- and post-race coverage; NASCAR Victory Lane, a weekly wrap-up show; and Race Hub, a daily mid-day studio show with the latest from drivers, owners and garages.
FSMG's experimentation with the "double box" commercial format, intended to keep viewers engaged throughout breaks, is expected to be an FS1 staple

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

That's about all I care about, so it's no concern of mine.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,726,230 times
I stopped watching Speed other than a few fleeting times here and there around 2006. Once it became dominated by all the Nascar nonsense and Pinks and other crap like that, I left. So no real loss to me.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,586,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I stopped watching Speed other than a few fleeting times here and there around 2006. Once it became dominated by all the Nascar nonsense and Pinks and other crap like that, I left. So no real loss to me.
This.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,062,750 times
But all the channels wnat NASCAR. Overall F! isn't goig anywhere in audience when so many races are at 2:00 am.NBC sports knew this when they delayed the qualfyig because of times it would have ment for european F! fans which is where their real numbers are in audience.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,879,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But all the channels wnat NASCAR. Overall F! isn't goig anywhere in audience when so many races are at 2:00 am.NBC sports knew this when they delayed the qualfyig because of times it would have ment for european F! fans which is where their real numbers are in audience.
SPEED (and now NBC) only had the F1 broadcast rights for the US. In Canada, Central/South America, various parts of Europe and Asia other licensees hold the broadcast rights. F1 handles the actual event cameras and broadcast and they always stream live (although some regions send their own pit and on-site reporters, which is included in the individual coverage) and then the various licencees add their own commentary to F1's stream.

SPEED never delayed anything because of European viewing, more likely they delay because of other broadcast commitments. Which I completely understand, particularly for things like the split qualifying in Melbourne caused by the rain. At least NBCSports showed the rest of qualifying before the race, even if it was tape-delay.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,441,388 times
[quote=American Luxury;28540896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
how so? how in the world will they have the time to keep "most or all" of the good content they have?

From Jayski:
NASCAR programming will include: Select NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races as soon as 2015; NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races; NASCAR Sprint All-Star race; all SpeedWeeks events leading up to the Daytona 500 including: Daytona 500 Qualifying, Sprint Unlimited at Daytona (2014, 2017-22) and the Budweiser Duel, now in prime time; NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NCWTS Practice and Qualifying sessions; NASCAR RaceDay, providing pre- and post-race coverage; NASCAR Victory Lane, a weekly wrap-up show; and Race Hub, a daily mid-day studio show with the latest from drivers, owners and garages.
FSMG's experimentation with the "double box" commercial format, intended to keep viewers engaged throughout breaks, is expected to be an FS1 staple

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

That's about all I care about, so it's no concern of mine.
Lots of people cry about Speeds coverage of NASCAR but without NASCAR and the other NASCAR related shows there is nothing else to Watch. F1 doesn't have a large enough US audience to have a dedicated channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing