Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Its a business just as why JR is still racing and on the Hendrick team which he wouldn't be at his age with no championships. More money than just the race winnings in this sport> Its a fulltime job unlike these days and sponsor work most days during season .If not for the benefit to NASCAR/team she would not be on any major team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:40 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Danica gets as much coverage as does because she's a female in a male dominated sport and NASCAR needs her to help get attention to their sport by a large portion of the population that could care less about NASCAR. TV ratings for the 2012 season were down, part of a continued decline and track attendance has done the same. When TV ratings are down and track attendance is down, they need to do something to help turn the tide.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:15 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Danica gets as much coverage as does because she's a female in a male dominated sport and NASCAR needs her to help get attention to their sport by a large portion of the population that could care less about NASCAR. TV ratings for the 2012 season were down, part of a continued decline and track attendance has done the same. When TV ratings are down and track attendance is down, they need to do something to help turn the tide.
Which is funny because of the many races I have attended over the years many women would be in attendence.
There are many female NASCAR fans without the need of Danica's presence. Your first sentence is right on the money. It really doesn't matter (I have said this before) if she never wins a race or a championship. Danica has broken the proverbial glass ceiling bringing a big $$$ sponsor and landing a quality ride. This mirrors what Jeff Gordon did for sprint car drivers.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

there's no proof of how much she'll help in the long term. It might cause a blip short term but will those fans stay around? Especially if she's back in 37th most of the race?

all sports leagues are doing this - appealing to the widest possible audience for more ratings, merchandising sales, etc. Does it really work?

for the short term perhaps, but in the end all they mostly do is anger long-term fans without usually substantial better results.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
there's no proof of how much she'll help in the long term. It might cause a blip short term but will those fans stay around? Especially if she's back in 37th most of the race?

all sports leagues are doing this - appealing to the widest possible audience for more ratings, merchandising sales, etc. Does it really work?

for the short term perhaps, but in the end all they mostly do is anger long-term fans without usually substantial better results.
Long term fans can be the source of the problem- memories are distorted as they get older, their generation was better, resistant to change, and so on.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Which is funny because of the many races I have attended over the years many women would be in attendence.
There are many female NASCAR fans without the need of Danica's presence. Your first sentence is right on the money. It really doesn't matter (I have said this before) if she never wins a race or a championship. Danica has broken the proverbial glass ceiling bringing a big $$$ sponsor and landing a quality ride. This mirrors what Jeff Gordon did for sprint car drivers.
Yep NASCAR has many woman fans at races. My wife loves watching it .But I think Gordon was much different really.Has one of Earnharts pit crew said when Gordon put him out of the a race. He thought he would be mad but he just said dam ; that kid took me out and he never even touch me.Gordaqn was not called the wizkid for nothing.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
Quote:
Long term fans can be the source of the problem- memories are distorted as they get older, their generation was better, resistant to change, and so on.

long term fans are who NASCAR's made money off for decades.

she's not even close to the first woman to race in NASCAR

nor is she especially talented

what happens 5 years from now when she's been as successful as she was in INDY and the *** is up? "All" those new fans, those woman, very few will stick around, and in the meantime just more of the real fans will have given up or restricted their watching/buying etc.

it's short term thinking.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Yup NASCAR's demographic has been split between men and women about 50/50 for a LONG time. I remember a bit piece CBS did during the 1987 Daytona 500 where they talked about how the female demographic was changing the sponsors. They highlighted Darrell Waltrip and Buddy Baker because of Tide and Crisco, respectively.

I've said this before - Danica is a double-edged sword. She brings attention and a big sponsor to the sport, yes, but if she continues to lay an egg on the track she's going to make it more difficult for the women who come after her because other big-name sponsors won't want their product associated with a novelty act.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
long term fans are who NASCAR's made money off for decades.

she's not even close to the first woman to race in NASCAR

nor is she especially talented

what happens 5 years from now when she's been as successful as she was in INDY and the *** is up? "All" those new fans, those woman, very few will stick around, and in the meantime just more of the real fans will have given up or restricted their watching/buying etc.

it's short term thinking.
The long term fan also abandoned the sport because they "didn't like the changes", "cookie cutter this", "driver's aren't the way they use to be", and the classic "racing was so much better back in the day."
Yeah, Janet Guthrie finishing 7 laps down in 11th place is great racing.
Nor did I say Danica was the first woman to race in NASCAR; I said and I quote "Danica has broken the proverbial glass ceiling bringing a big $$$ sponsor and landing a quality ride."
Nowhere in that sentence did it say nor was it implied she is the first woman to race in NASCAR. Your lack of reading comprehension is highly annoying.

Last edited by WFW&P; 05-23-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Yup NASCAR's demographic has been split between men and women about 50/50 for a LONG time. I remember a bit piece CBS did during the 1987 Daytona 500 where they talked about how the female demographic was changing the sponsors. They highlighted Darrell Waltrip and Buddy Baker because of Tide and Crisco, respectively.

I've said this before - Danica is a double-edged sword. She brings attention and a big sponsor to the sport, yes, but if she continues to lay an egg on the track she's going to make it more difficult for the women who come after her because other big-name sponsors won't want their product associated with a novelty act.
Gordon had a similar affect, upon his success teams started looking at sprint car drivers. Some have been successful, other have not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing