Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM

364 posts, read 560,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Your arrogance notwithstanding, all that super tech in F1 has done nothing to make the racing exciting.

On the subject of tech, NASCAR gets 900 HP out of a 100 year old engine design. But I guess that's not impressive because it's not the most technically advanced engine.

Show me fat NASCAR drivers. Most are trim, lean, and athletic. Tony Stewart is an exception, but somehow he's managed to win 4 titles. I think this is probably you blindly following the NASCAR stereotype without actually knowing the facts.

We can agree to not agree. The difference is that I didn't need to resort to insulting you to get my point across.
F1 cars make that same power from an engine under 3 liters, and they weigh less than half of what a NASCAR does. I think pneumatic valves and 15k + RPMs are pretty exciting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
America is one of the most xenophobic countries on Earth. Xenophobia is an institution here, and has been for a long time. Isn't that ironic for a country of immigrants?

There are (Christian) prayers at the start of public school graduations every year in my hometown. The supporting crowd will say "it's no big deal. Just let them do it, and it'll be over in a minute." NO! It is a big deal. It's a slap in the face to everyone outside of that group. It's a very simple issue that lots of people can't seem to understand: If it's a private organization, do what you will. If there are public dollars in it, NO RELIGION ALLOWED!

I'm not really sure where NASCAR falls in that, but it's definitely a picture of the classic "ugly American," only in this case, it's an ugly American in America! They aren't a major sport, no matter what ESPN (Disney) wants to make us believe.
That you consider yourself "slapped in the face" by a prayer is the very picture of an "Ugly American."

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Tell me how you have twisted that into no religion a school event which doesn't have Congress involved at all?

Shut your mouth and put up with it for a minute bro. That you want to violate the Constitution is a slap in the face to every reasonable American. And I'm agnostic.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
America is one of the most xenophobic countries on Earth. Xenophobia is an institution here, and has been for a long time. Isn't that ironic for a country of immigrants?

There are (Christian) prayers at the start of public school graduations every year in my hometown. The supporting crowd will say "it's no big deal. Just let them do it, and it'll be over in a minute." NO! It is a big deal. It's a slap in the face to everyone outside of that group. It's a very simple issue that lots of people can't seem to understand: If it's a private organization, do what you will. If there are public dollars in it, NO RELIGION ALLOWED!

I'm not really sure where NASCAR falls in that, but it's definitely a picture of the classic "ugly American," only in this case, it's an ugly American in America! They aren't a major sport, no matter what ESPN (Disney) wants to make us believe.

I agree. NASCAR is like watching traffic. It's one of the uglier parts of American culture.

I'm a Christian and I believe in a clear separation of Church and state. I really doubt NASCAR fans care at all though.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
If I was driving 200 mph inches from someone else's bumper, I'd be praying too.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,310 times
I believe in a separation of Church and Congressional laws, as expressed in the Constitution.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If I was driving 200 mph inches from someone else's bumper, I'd be praying too.
I think I'd be focused on what I was doing.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:36 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
NASCAR doesn't try to suggest it as you put, they recognize the lack of diversity and are trying to improve in that area.
Let's flip the coin for a moment:
Why, in your opinion, do you feel to be a major sport the sport must cater to all ethnic and/or religious groups?

Did you ever stop to think other ethnic groups really aren't interested in stock car racing?

Are you insinuating other ethnic groups don't pray to Jesus?
Do you see a league that embraces open Christian prayer as one that is trying to improve its diversity?

It is implied that a major sports league appeals to the nation as a whole. The nation consists of individuals from various backgrounds. Do you think NASCAR can fairly claim they are a major sports league when they include open Christian prayer that appeals to one portion of the population?

What does NASCAR's appeal to different groups have anything to do with NASCAR's hypocrisy of claiming to appeal to different groups but embracing practices that isolate individuals by religion?

Are you suggesting that all people regardless of race or ethnicity are Christians in the United States?

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-26-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle Has Landed View Post
That you consider yourself "slapped in the face" by a prayer is the very picture of an "Ugly American."

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Tell me how you have twisted that into no religion a school event which doesn't have Congress involved at all?

Shut your mouth and put up with it for a minute bro. That you want to violate the Constitution is a slap in the face to every reasonable American. And I'm agnostic.
I'm not your bro.

When I graduated from public high school, they paused the ceremony for a Christian prayer. There were many people of other faiths in attendance, and many with no faith. Taking taxpayer's public dollars, and effectively staging a mini church service in the middle of a public function is a slap in the face, and it's unconstitutional. If it was a private school, there would be no problem, but these kinds of people have managed to jam their ideology into public events that have no connection (or shouldn't, per Constitution, anyway) to the public running of communities.

You aren't a very good self-proclaimed constitutionalist. Get the internet tough guy out of your system for today? Feel better?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
What difference does it make if they're a major sport or not....I mean really?
Are you implying that only white Christians pray? Seems to me like you want to turn this into yet another issue about race that only exists in your own mind. But if you don't support NASCAR's values then why is this so important to you when their many secular sponsors don't have any issues with prayer or NASCAR's classification as a sport?
Why are you so concerned with NASCAR being viewed as a major sport? Will it change how you view the sport, if it is not viewed in the same class as the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL?

If they state "in Jesus name we pray" during a prayer, isn't that implied they are praying to Jesus Christ? Are you suggesting this is an open prayer that is respectful to any religion?

Sponsors are concerned with making a profit not respecting values. What does sponsorship have to do with this issue?

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-26-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Uh, a TEAM using a strategy to better its chances at a championship is common in all racing, including NASCAR, no different than one team member allowing another to lead a lap to gain the points.

It's hardly the same as a sanctioning body arbitrarily taking away race earned points for something a driver said, that's politically correct BS and has NOTHING to do with racing.
It's one thing to let a teammate lead a lap for bonus points, but this isn't done in F1; the teammate was ordered to surrender the position and not reclaim it as is done in NASCAR.
Rationalize how you want, it's your perogative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing