Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be surprised if he missed the rest of the season or most of it. Getting in the car for a few laps then having a sub driver for points is not going to win a championship and missing WG is going to drop his standing in the points enough to take away the wild card spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 PM

9,504 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Economically the risks don't make sense for an OWNER.

But I love a RACER who puts RACING above the bottom line!

RACER first, business man second, BRAVO SMOKE!
Gotta love Smoke's passion... he truly is the most rounded driver in NASCAR.

Zip said today that about the sponsors: "They're all disappointed and we understand that."

Big let down for the team also. Good chance that Smoke could have made the Chase since he normally get's hotter as the season winds down.

IMHO, Smoke just has too much on the line for him to be racing an extra 70 or so races a year outside of his primary responsibility. Hopefully he will cut that way back and at least reduce the odds of another accident. (Smoke's goal was 100 races this year).

Also, remember Jason Leffler? (RIP).

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Gotta love Smoke's passion... he truly is the most rounded driver in NASCAR.

Zip said today that about the sponsors: "They're all disappointed and we understand that."

Big let down for the team also. Good chance that Smoke could have made the Chase since he normally get's hotter as the season winds down.

IMHO, Smoke just has too much on the line for him to be racing an extra 70 or so races a year outside of his primary responsibility. Hopefully he will cut that way back and at least reduce the odds of another accident. (Smoke's goal was 100 races this year).
I agree but I must confess, practicality aside I value Tony's passion, he just wouldn't be who he is without it, including all the dangers that passion brings with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Also, remember Jason Leffler? (RIP).
Always sad to see a driver killed. I was just looking at a program from the 1966 USGP, the first one I ever attended. Nine of the nineteen starters went on to die in racing/testing accidents . At times it can be a disgustingly cruel sport but damn!, much like I love a guy like Willie Mays who no doubt would've played the game for nothing I love guys like Smoke who are RACERS first and foremost. Their RACING comes before the bottom line and good, bad, or indifferent it's people like that who keep me being a fan.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times
I believe if his sponsors told him "No more sprint car racing" he'd quit and go race them full time. Maybe he'd own the cup team, but wouldn't drive them.

Still, if it's not in the contract, he has free reign to do what he wants.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I believe if his sponsors told him "No more sprint car racing" he'd quit and go race them full time. Maybe he'd own the cup team, but wouldn't drive them.

Still, if it's not in the contract, he has free reign to do what he wants.
I bet it is in the contract......his way.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I bet it is in the contract......his way.
Ownership does have its privileges.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
TS had a second surgery to insert a metal rod in his leg.

Instead of Smoke, his new nickname is now Rod Stewart.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
TS had a second surgery to insert a metal rod in his leg.

Instead of Smoke, his new nickname is now Rod Stewart.

That's funny! I don't care if I am a Stewart fan!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post

That's funny! I don't care if I am a Stewart fan!
I'd bet Smoke would laugh at it too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing