Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Pastrana is driving for Roush because he brought Red Bull Money. He is a stunt driver and will never be a good stock car racer.
Seems like a fun type guy but should stick to jumping out of planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
pastrana has had issues, no doubt, and perhaps he is in over his head, but he has talent, and roush recognizes that. will he be successful? i dont know, but he is learning, and as i have said with danica, give him a chance he is new at this and still learning. heck einstein didnt come up with the theory of relativity overnight you know, and enrico fermi didnt just walk into the lab one day and decide that even though it had never happened before, a controlled nuclear reaction could be done, and then he did it that first time.

and dont forget that as good as jeff gordon is today, when he first went to cup racing, he wrecked a lot of race cars, and he was also in good equipment, and he had spent a fair amount of time in busch racing as well.
Jimmie Johnson also sucked in Nationwide too, only won once and then won within his first few months in cup. Some guys aren't stars in Nationwide but do well in cup and others are great Nationwide drivers but are settling at 30th in the pack on most cup races. David Ragan is a perfect case if he ran Nationwide more often.

As for Pastana, i personally like him and I think he is a good driver that just needs the support. Roush use to be an elite Nationwide team from 2007-2011 but this year they are not in the same league. (i am not mentioning last year as only Stenhouse in the 6 raced good.)

Compare this to Danica who has been in supported rides. She was in Hendrick cars since she debuted in the ARCA Daytona. I remember when she started, many people wanted her to go straight into cup (mostly girls.) However i knew that she would have growing pains, I just didn't expect her to be in the 20s/30s in most race weekends at this point in the season with the support system she has. She has a Hendrick car and Tony Gibson as a crew chief.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Jimmie Johnson also sucked in Nationwide too, only won once and then won within his first few months in cup. Some guys aren't stars in Nationwide but do well in cup and others are great Nationwide drivers but are settling at 30th in the pack on most cup races. David Ragan is a perfect case if he ran Nationwide more often.

As for Pastana, i personally like him and I think he is a good driver that just needs the support. Roush use to be an elite Nationwide team from 2007-2011 but this year they are not in the same league. (i am not mentioning last year as only Stenhouse in the 6 raced good.)

Compare this to Danica who has been in supported rides. She was in Hendrick cars since she debuted in the ARCA Daytona. I remember when she started, many people wanted her to go straight into cup (mostly girls.) However i knew that she would have growing pains, I just didn't expect her to be in the 20s/30s in most race weekends at this point in the season with the support system she has. She has a Hendrick car and Tony Gibson as a crew chief.
i agree with you on this, and perhaps the reason roush isnt as elite in nationwide as they have been in years past, isnt because of the drivers, but rather the finances. just a few years ago there were four roush cup teams, and three solid nationwide teams, but sponsorship money has kind of dried up, so roush had to cut back. three cup teams, which left david ragan out in the cold, and two nationwide teams with reduced funding. all the top teams cant be rich like hendrick.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
i agree. he is showing signs of what he was capable of the year he won daytona, and even though pastrana hasnt done as well, he is getting better also. i think that bayne may end up in sprint cup full time when roush pushes biffle out.
I corrected your statement for you.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I corrected your statement for you.
lol, i just dont see roush pushing drivers out, unless he has to cut back on the number of teams due to a lack of funding. thats what happened to both david ragan and trevor bayne.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
lol, i just dont see roush pushing drivers out, unless he has to cut back on the number of teams due to a lack of funding. thats what happened to both david ragan and trevor bayne.
Martin, Busch, Kennseth. Though Busch may be the exception it appears without outright firing the drivers he cuts back on their resources so as they won't be encouraged to want a new contract. I think Biffle will go through the same. IMO

Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Martin, Busch, Kennseth. Though Busch may be the exception it appears without outright firing the drivers he cuts back on their resources so as they won't be encouraged to want a new contract. I think Biffle will go through the same. IMO
Busch's issue was the whole he wanted to be in the 2 car and he got it when Rusty retired. He didn't do any favors for himself with the DWI the week of Phoenix race.

Kenseth is a different story, that was based on sponsorship(s) money that would not be worth keeping a previous cup champion around.

I think Biffle leaving is a welcome move. He hit his wall in cup as a star. He is good enough for a win maybe two a year but that's all.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:39 AM
PDD

Quote:
Martin only wanted to drive part time so Jack let him go. Then he changed his mind but Jack already replaced him.

Kyle Bush was only 16 when he was offered the truck ride and NASCAR would not allow 16YO to drive trucks.

Kenseth left because Carl got the big money and he didn't.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:08 PM
PDD

Ooops, I forgot about Kurt Bush being with Roush.
Jack Roush fired him because he was a jerk and an embarrassment to the sponsor even after winning a championship.
Penske fired him and most likely Tony Stuart will also.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Martin only wanted to drive part time so Jack let him go. Then he changed his mind but Jack already replaced him.

Kyle Bush was only 16 when he was offered the truck ride and NASCAR would not allow 16YO to drive trucks.

Kenseth left because Carl got the big money and he didn't.
You could tell by Martin's performance and lack of sponsorship his team was no longer the flagship team. This started happening well before Martin's contract was up.
Kennseth illustrates my point; Roush slights the driver that brought home the cup trophy in favor of a golden boy who is really Earnhardt Jr on steroids- overrated. Not only has Carl gotten the money but Roush has taken other's crews & crew chiefs and he STILL can't bring home the big prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing