Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Just my opinion here but BrianFrance reminds me of VinceMcMahon and Nascar reminds me of wrestling nowadays. Me thinks Nascar changed when BrianFrance took it over.
I don't think it's as orchestrated as some people want to believe it is. There are way too many variables in the sport to do anything like WWE.

However, I will say the problem I have with the current NASCAR regime is all of the changes to the point system. I'm not a fan of the chase...but this is like....what?....the 4th different version of it in the last 10 years or so? There is no continuity and any link to the past has been totally destroyed in my opinion. I really only care about certain individual races and think the championship has become a bit of a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I don't think it's as orchestrated as some people want to believe it is. There are way too many variables in the sport to do anything like WWE.

However, I will say the problem I have with the current NASCAR regime is all of the changes to the point system. I'm not a fan of the chase...but this is like....what?....the 4th different version of it in the last 10 years or so? There is no continuity and any link to the past has been totally destroyed in my opinion. I really only care about certain individual races and think the championship has become a bit of a joke.

pretty much what I'm talking about with BrianFrance db. I'm talking about the flagrant rulings, the 'king on his throne' attitude, his feud with BrutonSmith exemplifies this attitude with who gets races, ect. I still can't believe Phoenix with 2 Cup races and Darlington or Atlanta on the chopping block. I may be a little biased towards some of these changes as I am from the heart of Nascar but how many Cup (or any other leftturn racing) drivers talk like SterlingMarlin or BillyElliott nowadays. These guys are from California and beautiful and I reckon that's racing today. not for me, I'm back at the Friday night dirt tracks.

Hey, I checked the thread title and I'm a little off topic, sorry.

Last edited by burr; 06-04-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
I hear ya burr.

Eventually there will be no drivers left in NASCAR who have roots in in the sport like Dale Jr and Chase Elliott... but until then, my favorites will always be those whose fathers blazed the path..

Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,146 times
Larry Mac is saying that Biffle will stay and Edwards will go to Penske.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:34 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
A third car?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:27 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
pretty much what I'm talking about with BrianFrance db. I'm talking about the flagrant rulings, the 'king on his throne' attitude, his feud with BrutonSmith exemplifies this attitude with who gets races, ect. I still can't believe Phoenix with 2 Cup races and Darlington or Atlanta on the chopping block. I may be a little biased towards some of these changes as I am from the heart of Nascar but how many Cup (or any other leftturn racing) drivers talk like SterlingMarlin or BillyElliott nowadays. These guys are from California and beautiful and I reckon that's racing today. not for me, I'm back at the Friday night dirt tracks.

Hey, I checked the thread title and I'm a little off topic, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I hear ya burr.

Eventually there will be no drivers left in NASCAR who have roots in in the sport like Dale Jr and Chase Elliott... but until then, my favorites will always be those whose fathers blazed the path..
Keeping in mind the "beautiful" have out performed the twangy talkers recently in the championship podiums. I find it totally ridiculous a person's loyalty to a sport would be based in part on how the participants speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
It's astounding how Penske has made his Fords perform as good or better than Roush in the amount of time he has been with Ford.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times
Why you twist a statement around like you do ? My loyalty to the sport has nothing to do with where he's from especially, but the definition of the sport today, and it happens to be getting away from its roots. This originated with 'twang' sir, from whiskey runners in NC.

Astounding ? Guess it shows how much difference the cars are, at least that's the way I see it. Only difference is the bow tie on the front bumper or the blue oval.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:42 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post

It's astounding how Penske has made his Fords perform as good or better than Roush in the amount of time he has been with Ford.
Pretty simple Roger Penske is a people person and Jack Roush is an engineer. Everybody knows you can't tell an engineer anything. They already know everything.

Jack Roush know 1,000 times more about auto engineering than Joe Gibbs but who's team is more successful lately? People person, just like Hendrick and Penske.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
It got away from its small time roots long ago and became full time job. The good ole boys who ran shine and raced have long been gone but some tried to make you think they had. If you want to see ole time go to a local track where guys tow their cars to track and have weekday jobs rest of week. Even a good crew chief makes a million a year now.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
I may be a little biased towards some of these changes as I am from the heart of Nascar but how many Cup (or any other leftturn racing) drivers talk like SterlingMarlin or BillyElliott nowadays.
Quote:
Why you twist a statement around like you do ? My loyalty to the sport has nothing to do with where he's from especially, but the definition of the sport today, and it happens to be getting away from its roots. This originated with 'twang' sir, from whiskey runners in NC.
I didn't twist your words and bolded your previous statement to assist you with your memory.

Astounding ? Guess it shows how much difference the cars are, at least that's the way I see it. Only difference is the bow tie on the front bumper or the blue oval.
Penske went from so-so Dodges to front running Fords in a shorter time frame than his time with Dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Pretty simple Roger Penske is a people person and Jack Roush is an engineer. Everybody knows you can't tell an engineer anything. They already know everything.

Jack Roush know 1,000 times more about auto engineering than Joe Gibbs but who's team is more successful lately? People person, just like Hendrick and Penske.
Penske has had a much faster turn around with Ford than Dodge, but yeah, I don't think Roush has the leader skill set like Penske, Hendrick, & Gibbs. With Penske surging to the front I wonder if Roush will fall away from the favorite status with Ford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing