Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
............ I love Road America but realistically at 4+ miles that track is way too long. It'll never happen, ….......
….... it might be more accurate to say it will never happen AGAIN. It would be great if it did, though.

I'm revealing my age, but my father took me to this race:

They laughed when NASCAR's stock cars took to the road at Elkhart Lake, but Tim Flock gave the show A DETROIT SURPRISE - SI.com

It probably should not have been a big surprise that stock cars went well at Road America.

In the 1950s, the La Carrera Panamericana (a.k.a The Mexican Road Race) was a really, really big (the Porsche Carrera was named after it as was the Ferrari Mexico) cross country road race through Mexico. There was a division for stock cars, so NASCAR drivers competed and many of them drove really well.

The big, booming stock cars, not the expensive European sports cars, were the favorites of the rural peasants who lined the roads.

The La Carrera Panamericana...: NASCAR influence on La Carrera Panamericana

http://digitalpostercollection.com/w...ricana-car.jpg

http://stblogs.hotrod.com/files/2008/12/12011019.jpeg

http://www.pilotos-muertos.com/2010/...d/image016.jpg

Porsche Carrera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_340
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Often the on road tracks in US where designed for smaller sports cars and nothing near the power now days.Its why you see so much dust when passing takes place as often its required. to go of track when passing.mnay find it interesting tho I do not normally watch anymore.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Often the on road tracks in US where designed for smaller sports cars and nothing near the power now days.Its why you see so much dust when passing takes place as often its required. to go of track when passing.mnay find it interesting tho I do not normally watch anymore.
very true, but the tracks that were suggested are wide enough for cup cars, especially since the nationwide cars have run on those very tracks.

but your other point is a bit moot because if you note, many of the older nascar tracks were also designed for much slower speeds. take darlington for instance, that track was designed for speeds around 130-140mph average, and now they run right around 180mph average. its part of the charm of nascar that the cup cars run an difficult tracks.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Looks like Carl Edwards finally made a break from Roush and Ford.

Life long Ford fan but it is obvious that Ford is not going all out to win in NASCAR. I don't know if Jack Roush is not smart enough or maybe Ford is not really serious about NASCAR.
Carl gave Roush every opportunity to get it's act together when he signed his last contract but either they don't care or angry Jack is not as smart as he thinks he is.

Consider the Ford drivers that Ford has lost over the years starting with Jeff Gordon Casey Kane even though he is a crybaby. And the biggest name Ford driver to be lost is Bill Elliott and his brother Ernie, the super Ford tuner.
I'm guessing that Ford was giving Roush more than the Elliotts and they went to Dodge, too bad Ernie is one of the best engine builders and we know how great Bill was.
Chase Elliott should be driving for Ford right now but the idiots at Ford didn't care about Bill any longer and were once again outsmarted by Rick Hendrick.
How many remember when Jeff Gordon signed with Hendrick he was a Ford driver and he asked Rick if he could be driving Fords. We know what happened there.

Looks like I'm running out of guys to root for, I can't root for a foreign driver and I refuse to jump on the Chevy bandwagon like so many other fans do.

Come on, Joey, Brad, Ryan Blaney

Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,146 times
Power hasn't been the problem, just look at Penske. Roush just can't get their setups right for whatever reason.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
IMO, Roush is quickly becoming a 2nd Tier team.. losing Edwards speeds that process up..

Something tells me that when Jack realizes this, things will start to change.. but it might be his sponsors that figure it our first..

Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
Oh a different note, good to see Gordon driving the wheels off again. I hope he can win that 5th championship this year.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
IMO, Roush is quickly becoming a 2nd Tier team.. losing Edwards speeds that process up..

Something tells me that when Jack realizes this, things will start to change.. but it might be his sponsors that figure it our first..
considering that roush supplies the engines to the ford teams these days, and probably the chassis also, i dont think roush is in any danger of becoming completely second rate. and perhaps roush is looking to the future by letting the older drivers go and replacing them with fresh blood. remember the kennseth and edwards along with biffle are all in their 30s now, so they dont really have that many more good years of driving left in them.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
considering that roush supplies the engines to the ford teams these days, and probably the chassis also, i dont think roush is in any danger of becoming completely second rate. and perhaps roush is looking to the future by letting the older drivers go and replacing them with fresh blood. remember the kennseth and edwards along with biffle are all in their 30s now, so they dont really have that many more good years of driving left in them.

Yeah your right the older drives can't compete with the youngsters, just ask Jeff Gordon.

I'm guessing that the engines supplied to Penske are not just rental engines and the Penske shop is tweaking the engines a little better than the Roush/Yates engine shop.

I remember a while back Rusty Wallace saying nothing helps a poor handling car like a little extra HP.

It takes a ton of money to win in NASCAR and nobody spends more than Hendrick, if you want to beat the best you have to outsmart and outspend them. Penske gets it, Roush doesn't.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Yeah your right the older drives can't compete with the youngsters, just ask Jeff Gordon.
i am not saying that at all, but look how long gordon was in a slump that he only recently came out of. also note that when kenseth went to jgr, he started winning, not because the cars are necessarily better, but because the chemistry is different. a change in crew chief this year got edwards going again, and maybe a change in team will do the same thing. and i believe gordon also had some team changes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing