Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

I don't follow any kind of car racing, but I've always wondered this.

When I ran track we would all get numbers assigned by the meet organizers, which ensured that there would never be any duplication of numbers.

People who participate in sports, like baseball, football, and basketball, have numbers assigned by their teams, again preventing the awkward situation of having two guys on the same team with the same number.

I get the impression that car racers just pick their own numbers. Is that right? How do they prevent duplication?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 09:30 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times
It varies from series to series. If I recall correctly, NASCAR "controls" the numbers and the owners request them from year to year. I'm sure there's a fee involved. Typically, if an owner had a number one season, they will have priority on that number the next.

I'm not sure how Indycar and F1 allocate theirs, but the previous years champ usually gets #1.

On the local level, there's really no "control". You'll often see duplicate numbers. Sometimes there will be a letter next to it...especially in big events where drivers who don't typically race together compete.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Thanks!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
F-1 used to dole the numbers out based on a team's finishing position in the previous year's points - with the champ getting #1, but that changes next year.

Starting in 2014, a driver will be allowed to pick any number between 2 and 99 and keep it his entire career. If he wins the championship he can run the #1 or his own number.

Formula One adjust rules, to award double points in final race - ESPN

Old 12-13-2013, 05:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
in nascar the numbers are assigned by the sanctioning body, and the car owners pay nascar a fee to rent the numbers each year. the teams can request a particular number, if it is available. for instance phillips 66 sponsored a team in the 80s i think, and they got nascar to give the the car number 66. and as long as the team keeps paying the fee for the car number, they can either use or not use the number. for instance when dale earnhardt died, childress put the number on ice, and bought the number 29 to use with kevin harvick in the car. he maintained the rent on the number 3 though mostly to prevent anyone else from using it, until now as austin dillon will run that car number in 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing