Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,888 times

Advertisements

Off topic, but does anyone else dislike the exhaust note of thr current engines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Off topic, but does anyone else dislike the exhaust note of thr current engines?
It makes no difference to me - watching on TV, of course.

Actually, I had completely forgotten the engine sound controversy, until you mentioned it here.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times
I miss the V8 sound, and even more the pre-2009 V10 sound.

But the racing this year has been fantastic. I prefer this much better than the V8-powered sleep inducing 2011 season for instance.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:36 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
2005 was the end of the V10 era.

Ericsson is pretty awful. His teammate was almost 2 seconds faster than him in quali.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 PM

281 posts, read 327,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
When I first heard the noise I felt the same. Now not so much. It is interesting to hear the car under breaking recovering energy. Wastegates popping. It is much more noticeable from the incar shots.

I wasn't a fan of the V8 era at all. They all sounded the same. I think the 90s was the last era of F1 engines which sounded proper, back when you could run a v8, 10 or 12.

When I first started following F1 was back just before the turbo era. Now THAT was fantastic for engine noises. The sound of the DFV and the flat 12 Ferrari and Alfa was glorious. Then there was the Matra v12. You haven't truly lived until you have heard the Matra at full song.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:05 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
The racing is still good/great but I'd love to have the old sound back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCkbuhNJXns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7PqJ0oVGc

Old 09-22-2014, 08:22 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times
Weird race this one in Singapore... until the Sutil/Perez incident and the safety car it brought, it had been a very boring race. But the safety car divided the field into two strategies, and that meant that the last few laps were insane!

Great driving from Hamilton who now leads the championship after Rosberg's car failed. I really hope this title is not decided by reliability issues, but I'm glad the gremlins didn't occurs in Lewis's car for once.

Great drives by Vergne and Perez, or should I say, great strategy call from their pitbox. They advanced from 12 and 13th to 6th and 7th in a matter of two or three laps!

Vettel could finally beat Ricciardo in a race...

It seemed like this race was very physical. Rookies Kvyat and Magnussen complained of dehydration and heat. Having been in Singapore once, I can sympathize. Can't imagine that weather with a nomex suit inside a racing car, in a twisty street circuit, and for two hours. Ugh.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Weird race this one in Singapore... until the Sutil/Perez incident and the safety car it brought, it had been a very boring race. But the safety car divided the field into two strategies, and that meant that the last few laps were insane!

Great driving from Hamilton who now leads the championship after Rosberg's car failed. I really hope this title is not decided by reliability issues, but I'm glad the gremlins didn't occurs in Lewis's car for once.

Great drives by Vergne and Perez, or should I say, great strategy call from their pitbox. They advanced from 12 and 13th to 6th and 7th in a matter of two or three laps!

Vettel could finally beat Ricciardo in a race...

It seemed like this race was very physical. Rookies Kvyat and Magnussen complained of dehydration and heat. Having been in Singapore once, I can sympathize. Can't imagine that weather with a nomex suit inside a racing car, in a twisty street circuit, and for two hours. Ugh.
It wasn't just rookies. I read that Vettel had to leave during interviews due to stomach issues. The race must have been killer on their bodies, even Hamilton seemed exhausted. I can't tell if Ricciardo was... I have a feeling he'd be smiling if it was the end of the world lol.

But the end of the race was absolutely spectacular. Overall I feel like we've had a lot more exciting races this season. It's been enjoyable and I am excited to see how Honda does.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:45 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,178,236 times
In spite of what the announcers were saying about the pit delta, I couldn't figure out why I was supposed to be excited toward the end of the race. It was obvious that once Hamilton put on fresh tires he would be much, much faster than anybody else. In the after race interview, Hamilton even said he knew he had the race won and wasn't concerned at all.

After the first couple of races this season it was obvious that Mercedes, with their superior power plant configuration and the engine design freeze, had the speed to finish first and second in every race. The only thing that prevented this was mechanical difficulties and crashes and weather and so on.

I hope that during the off season everybody will be allowed to completely redesign their power plants.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
In spite of what the announcers were saying about the pit delta, I couldn't figure out why I was supposed to be excited toward the end of the race. It was obvious that once Hamilton put on fresh tires he would be much, much faster than anybody else. In the after race interview, Hamilton even said he knew he had the race won and wasn't concerned at all.

After the first couple of races this season it was obvious that Mercedes, with their superior power plant configuration and the engine design freeze, had the speed to finish first and second in every race. The only thing that prevented this was mechanical difficulties and crashes and weather and so on.

I hope that during the off season everybody will be allowed to completely redesign their power plants.
Did you not see any of the other battles? There is more than first place and with double points for first place in the final race Mercedes doesn't have the driver championship. Ricciardo is still within distance of winning, though unlikely it is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing