Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,287,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Single file racing the last dozen or so laps and not a single complaint on the forum. Guess that type of racing is okay when Jr is winning.
No, it's just another re-stricter plate race. Lets be thankful no one was killed or gravely injured. On to the SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS 400!

Here's an idea for the next plate race. No plate. 3 gears. (all reverse) Have at it boys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 11:50 PM

8,592 posts, read 14,773,516 times
Honestly the only restrictor plate race I can think of that was worse than Sunday's race at Talladega was the 2000 Daytona 500. That race was follow the leader all day long, and it led to Dale Earnhardt's famous post-race rant where he ripped NASCAR a new one.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,311,987 times
[quote=WFW&P;39488103]Single file racing the last dozen or so laps and not a single complaint on the forum. Guess that type of racing is okay when Jr is winning. [/QUOTE c]

Many of us have been complaining for years. NASCAR does not listen. When they sell less tickets they just raise the prices to make up for empty seats.

When you have a CEO like Brian France who is not really a car guy, this is what you get. Grandpa would not be happy.

BTW I don't care if Junior wins because even though I am not a fan I am also not a hater.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:46 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,845,853 times
Yeah I'd complain but I feel asleep somewhere after the wreck. The ending was dull as dirt. But as everyone has noted - that's what you get on plate tracks. The only thing that makes them exciting is the reason they should change them - crashes.

As to Jr winning, that's fine. I like him. I was pulling for Gordon - who looked great - but he goofed up majorly in the last pit stop.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,896,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Single file racing the last dozen or so laps and not a single complaint on the forum. Guess that type of racing is okay when Jr is winning.
Nah I think we are just tired of complaining about how boring plate racing has become.

There has to be a better way for the super speedways.

Maybe it would be fun to see them run the road course section at Daytona for one of the races.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:42 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

Maybe it would be fun to see them run the road course section at Daytona for one of the races.
If they did that they would have to give them their HP back.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:39 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
At one time it was society. Now days few females start a interest in motor vehicles or racing at the early age needed now to get the experience. Few that make to top at any type actually did it by their record on track ;Like for like. Sad but true; its a business in the end.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:22 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,633,096 times
Well, there was a bit of tension in the stands during those final 20 or so laps. A late race caution would have created a much better finish but that would only fuel the conspiracy theorists. I certainly prefer 3 wide but IMO, you can only blame the drivers... most were simply not willing to risk dropping back in the field by pulling out of line.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:23 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, there was a bit of tension in the stands during those final 20 or so laps. A late race caution would have created a much better finish but that would only fuel the conspiracy theorists. I certainly prefer 3 wide but IMO, you can only blame the drivers... most were simply not willing to risk dropping back in the field by pulling out of line.
Which is why restrictor plate racing sucks.No other racing series requires help from another driver to make a pass.

Many of us older fans remember the slingshot passes on superspeedways, something that can't be done with today's restricted engines and extreme downforces on the lead car.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:25 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,633,096 times
In fairness, most races have the potential to be boring... IMO, the Brickyard is much harder to watch than any of the plate races.

Because I am close to both Talladega and Daytona, i have not watched a plate race on TV in a few years... being at the track offsets any of the downsides to plate racing, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing