Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 02:51 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
Johnson, Gordon, Harvick, Earnhardt, or Stewart didn't win. I'm cool with this.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The spoilers were dropped for most races this season, I think the plates now use the normal size spoilers from last year's season. The issue is with the plates you get the packs while without them you would get higher speeds and therefore worse wrecks in particular head on like Busch's yesterday. There is no real happy medium as both are dangerous, more so than most tracks.
this is why you need to add in a rear gear rule as well. let them have all the horsepower they can build into the motors, just make them run a gear that may let them hit 200mph, at 10,500 rpm. and that would mean that the teams can them decide to run a lower rpm to last the race, or run the higher rpm and take the chance that they scatter an engine all over the track at 350 miles.

and remember also that with the smaller spoiler, they are not going to have the down force, so they are going to have to make the cars handle with suspension settings, and the drivers are going to have to slow down to get through the corners. add in the restrictor plate that hurts acceleration, and teh drivers are going to have to balance their cars all the time if they are going to win restrictor plate races, even with larger plates.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,011 times
Quote:
The spoilers were dropped for most races this season, I think the plates now use the normal size spoilers from last year's season. The issue is with the plates you get the packs while without them you would get higher speeds and therefore worse wrecks in particular head on like Busch's yesterday. There is no real happy medium as both are dangerous, more so than most tracks.
I'm pretty sure Mike Joy or Larry McReynolds said that the spoilers are just .5 inches taller than last year. And the spoilers for the non plate tracks are now two inches shorter than last season.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 AM
PDD

I just remembered it was a great weekend for Ford winning all three Daytona races. Truck, Xfinity, Sprint.
Now that might not seem like a big deal to GM fans where 50% of the field are driving Chevy's but for Ford fans where your team is the minority in almost all series it is something to cheer about.

Logano wins his first 500 as Gordon runs his last.

IMO if restrictor plates were not in play Gordon might have won.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:11 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,764 times
Wow was that a boring race. Even the booth was trying to intimate that a crash was certain...soon! Please gawd soon! haha A total yawn fest. Restrictor plates have got to go. Bummed Lagano won. Just something about him I've never liked and still don't like.

Fox has to get rid of Michael Waltrip. That guy is simply awful. I never minded him on that old Speed channel show, Inside Cup or whatever but now he's just bad.

The coverage was a mixed bag. A bit awkward when a sponsor, in the good graces of their hearts, allows a 'non-commercial' so the we see Larry Mac hem and haw about nothing - while pimping said generous sponsor in the main screen. Strange and poorly executed.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:44 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Fox has to get rid of Michael Waltrip. That guy is simply awful. I never minded him on that old Speed channel show, Inside Cup or whatever but now he's just bad.
yeah, michael waltrip was terrible in his coverage of the daytona 500. but then it is difficult to call the race at 200mph, i think he did well to finish 26th.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:52 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Wow was that a boring race. Even the booth was trying to intimate that a crash was certain...soon! Please gawd soon! haha A total yawn fest. Restrictor plates have got to go. Bummed Lagano won. Just something about him I've never liked and still don't like.
I guess you saw a different race than what I saw. I thought it was the best race in years. I've never seen them run three wide that long without wrecking before, that's why the booth was certain a wreck was going to happen, as was I.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:34 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
I guess you saw a different race than what I saw. I thought it was the best race in years. I've never seen them run three wide that long without wrecking before, that's why the booth was certain a wreck was going to happen, as was I.
Races are always boring when your guy doesn't win.
As much as I dislike RP racing, running 3 wide during the last 30 laps was pretty exciting.

I really get tired of the entire announcing team fawning over Hendrick week after week. Yes we know he has won everything there is to win but it's always good to see a smaller team take one away from him once in a while.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:04 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
I am a young fàn, you know what racing enjoy, the old new Bristol (no longer exists), the two car draft racing at plate tracks (again non existant), the 600, Richmond, Phoenix, Sonoma (I won't say the Glen until they fix the short chute issues) and the two mile tracks. I actually hate the big ones. I like racing, not senseless carnage. I realize you can get carnage from racing but the big ones and the Kyle wrecks are senseless.

As for removing the plate, the only one I heard that may work is the gear ratio but I am not sure if it wouldn't still cause pack racing in actuality. Sadly I was only a live for one, maybe two firecracker without the plates and maybe one 500 without them.
You missed some great racing.. Up until 2000/2001.. With the 'old cars'.. Racing was really pretty good.. 1995-2000 was probably the golden years.. Non restrictor plate, of course.. The plate races in 99/2000 were horrible. 2000 Daytona 500 was the worst of the worst.

That being said.. one of the best races I can remember was, I think, the 97 Talladega race that Mark Martin won.. Caution free..

In late 2000.. They put the rules package that Nationwide cars have had for the past few years.. With the roof wick and all.. That was incredible racing.. But, after Earnhardt.. They reigned that in.

That's not to say we haven't have great races at other times.. The Busch/Craven deal at Darlington.. Rockingham used to have some great racing. I think the last race there, Carl Long wound up on his roof.. Atlanta had great finishes for a number of years after the rapaving.. Labonte/Earnhardt in 2000.. Harvick/Gordon in 2001..

And, a race doesn't have to be a side by side finish to be a great race, either. 2003 Homestead was a real good race, and Bill Elliott cut a tire on the last lap in his last full time race..

And.. Back in the 95 to 2000 range.. "Aero Push" was just barely starting to be a term that was used.

Bristol.. When they made it a 2 lane racetrack.. That was the best RACING I had ever seen there. The people who complained were the ones who wanted every race to end like 95 and 99.. Someone getting bumped out of the way. I preferred seeing them actually race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing