Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:46 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,845,283 times

Advertisements

Yeah there's a huge problem when cars go airborne in a spin like those 2. That just should happen. Hopefully they address that before allowing a race at Indy. It could get very ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 08:04 PM

17,385 posts, read 13,103,473 times
We were there. I thought that they were going to cancel like the did when we flew to the CART race at Texas Motor Speedway (when drivers were passing out due to high Gs) or when we were in Las Vegas when Dan Weldon was killed.

I am all for safety, both drivers and spectators) The new aerokits were never tested properly for use at Indy. The teams just got them a short while ago.

I have never heard of 3 cars flipping over in less than one week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFDvAgkdfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THfIvk628eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaZ8QbTZbb0

IndyCar should have waited until next year to use the kits. I hope that nothing like the above videos happen with a full grandstand and a fill field at over 220 MPH.

Someone with a cool head at least got them to use race configuration and not qualifying configuration today. The 10 pounds less boost and the higher down-force helped. But did it help enough? We will see next week.

And people wonder why IndyCar ratings are in the toilet

Old 05-18-2015, 11:44 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,845,283 times
It's good they went to the race package but I agree that it's still a crap shoot. With a full field and stands let's just hope it's solved. It should never ever come down to hope in a sport like racing but that's the Tony George Indy series.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:48 PM

8,592 posts, read 14,769,610 times
Another day; another wreck. James Hinchcliffe hit the wall hard and flipped over during practice today. Unfortunately he didn't walk away from his wreck like Helio, Josef Newgarden, and Ed Carpenter. He was removed from the car by paramedics, placed on a backboard and transported to the infield care center.

IndyCar is reporting that Hinchcliffe is awake and alert, but is being transported to Methodist Hospital for observation.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:33 PM

Follow-up on Hinchcliffe. He underwent surgery at Methodist Hospital to stop major bleeding and remove a piece of shrapnel that pierced the cockpit and impaled his upper left thigh. He's currently awake in the ICU in stable condition.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:10 PM

17,385 posts, read 13,103,473 times
Hinche's crash was different. He hit the wall tilted on his side caught the grass and settled back down. Violent, but more of a typical Indycar crash. The other cars turned ass end forward and the air hit the good for nothing wheel bumpers (Looking at a few cars yesterday, I have to think that those bumpers could just be a tiny roll bar..would do the same thing but prevent wheel to wheel contact. All they need to do is remove the deflectors that the car numbers are printed on.

Regardless, I wouldn't want to e sitting in lower track-side seats this year (Not that I ever sit

low)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvtAq7K0uYo

Old 05-19-2015, 01:39 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Another day; another wreck. James Hinchcliffe hit the wall hard and flipped over during practice today. Unfortunately he didn't walk away from his wreck like Helio, Josef Newgarden, and Ed Carpenter. He was removed from the car by paramedics, placed on a backboard and transported to the infield care center.

IndyCar is reporting that Hinchcliffe is awake and alert, but is being transported to Methodist Hospital for observation.
I saw that wreck; he seemed to lose the front end like seen so often. Different from earlier wrecks. Not too sure the increased boot for fast Friday wasn't part of problem I testing for it in setup in other races. They tend to go to edge on anything in aero qualifying testing. I always thing qualify with what you race with is best for safety really.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:26 PM

983 posts, read 1,626,958 times
Looks like it bottomed up very badly, so it must have been suspension.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 PM

News coming out today that Hinchliffe's injuries were pretty severe and life-threatening. If it hadn't been for IndyCar's dedicated safety crew and their close proximity to Methodist he may well have bled out and died before even getting to the hospital.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ractice-crash/

Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM

281 posts, read 324,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Indy car was largely one race and a few smaller races in past. Never got to big time otherwise because poorly run business wise. Mean while NASCAR was samesmall time that grew to big time during same period.
Absolute rubbish. IndyCar was, at one point, one race and a few smaller races. That was until the late '70s early '80s when Dan Gurney wrote his infamous 'white paper' which lead to the formation of CART. From there, IndyCar took off. As big, if not bigger, than NASCAR. The ratings for the 500 were larger than Daytona. The average rating for a CART race was the same or higher than a NASCAR event. Then the coke-addled inheritor, Tony George, felt that it was his god-given right to run things because his family owned the speedway. His presentation to the CART board as to why he should run things was of 8th grade science project quality. They, literally, laughed him out of the room. Then like any spoiled child he threw an epic tantrum. That is what caused NASCAR to take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing