Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:56 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you thought the Chase was a stupid idea - get ready for NASCAR's equivalent of TV timeouts. New for 2016 the Truck Series will have a "Caution Clock." Forced competition cautions every 20 minutes. Good luck trying to get into a rhythm.
I can see a driver stepping into Cup from the truck series and accidently pulling on pit road after 20 min.
I didn't believe it, read it, still didn't believe it, and kept looking for the punch line....it was nowhere to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I want NASCAR to stop this silliness with restarts. The leader of the race deserves to start first not side by side with somebody who was 5 seconds behind with a few laps remaining.

It used to be that way back when NASCAR had better races, the lead lap cars started single file and the lap down cars beside them. Stop this pansy racing of getting a free pass.
This is the major league of racing not the little league where everybody gets a trophy.
If you can't run fast enough to stay on the lead lap you don't deserve a free pass.

Rant over for today.
Again, the free pass was to stop drivers that just went a lap down from wrecking the hell out of each other trying to beat the leader back to the caution.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:03 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Barney Hall has died. He was by far my favorite radio announcer and one of my favorites in general. I listened to his last race since we were in the car the whole time traveling. He will be missed.

Barney Hall Passes Away - NASCAR Sprint Cup News - MRN.com

Old 01-26-2016, 11:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
I want NASCAR to stop this silliness with restarts. The leader of the race deserves to start first not side by side with somebody who was 5 seconds behind with a few laps remaining.

It used to be that way back when NASCAR had better races, the lead lap cars started single file and the lap down cars beside them. Stop this pansy racing of getting a free pass.
This is the major league of racing not the little league where everybody gets a trophy.
If you can't run fast enough to stay on the lead lap you don't deserve a free pass.

Rant over for today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Again, the free pass was to stop drivers that just went a lap down from wrecking the hell out of each other trying to beat the leader back to the caution.
agreed, the free pass deal was a safety move. too many times in the past the leader would slow down to let his teammates pass, then speed up to prevent others from passing, and too many wrecks were happening as a result.

the other reason, again for safety, was to slow the entire field down when the caution came out rather than have people race to the start line and cause issues with safety crews.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:02 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
BS, it was put into place to help the favorites overcome some early race misfortunes. Way too many races have been won buy top tier teams who have has their luck changed by late race restarts.

The last time this happened was the last race at Homestead. Without the late race caution Brad wins and a miracle comeback win for Kyle Bush doesn't happen.

What are you gonna tell me next, restrictor plates are used to slow the cars down?

If you think NASCAR can't control the outcome of some races you haven't watched many races.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Barney Hall has died. He was by far my favorite radio announcer and one of my favorites in general. I listened to his last race since we were in the car the whole time traveling. He will be missed.

Barney Hall Passes Away - NASCAR Sprint Cup News - MRN.com
He was the "Official Voice of NASCAR".........will be missed.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
BS, it was put into place to help the favorites overcome some early race misfortunes. Way too many races have been won buy top tier teams who have has their luck changed by late race restarts.

The last time this happened was the last race at Homestead. Without the late race caution Brad wins and a miracle comeback win for Kyle Bush doesn't happen.

What are you gonna tell me next, restrictor plates are used to slow the cars down?

If you think NASCAR can't control the outcome of some races you haven't watched many races.
NASCAR can't control the outcome of races because of factors beyond their control.

There were instances many years ago that brought this about with a driver being stalled (Dale Jarrett?) on a front stretch while they raced back to the line. Also an emergency worker was run over while tending to a wrecked car that was struck by another car that lost control racing back to the caution.

And yes restrictor plates do slow the cars down. You don't need an engineering degree to understand when you restrict the air flow the car won't go as fast. Want proof? Block the air intake of your car and try to drive it.

You keep that tin foil hat on, and I'll keep chuckling.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:50 PM
PDD

Quote:
NASCAR can't control the outcome of races because of factors beyond their control.

There were instances many years ago that brought this about with a driver being stalled (Dale Jarrett?) on a front stretch while they raced back to the line. Also an emergency worker was run over while tending to a wrecked car that was struck by another car that lost control racing back to the caution.

And yes restrictor plates do slow the cars down. You don't need an engineering degree to understand when you restrict the air flow the car won't go as fast. Want proof? Block the air intake of your car and try to drive it.

You keep that tin foil hat on, and I'll keep chuckling.
This has nothing to do with anybody's hat. This is C-D where opinions are the order of the day, no facts are ever presented.

My opinion is just as valid as your opinion. That being said there is no denying that NASCAR loves to control the finish of the race. They may not be able to determine the winners but they certainly can determine who won't win.

BTW I have been attending NASCAR races since 1956 so I am not a newbie fan. I know a little about building engines so I certainly knows what chokes an engine. Your not talking to one of the kids in the neighborhood.

I have never used that tin foil hat comment. I can't think of anything more immature.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:11 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
If the field is frozen the second a yellow comes out all the free pass non-sense is solved. No reason to keep it now except is allows 'stars' to get back into a race they are out of.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
If the field is frozen the second a yellow comes out all the free pass non-sense is solved. No reason to keep it now except is allows 'stars' to get back into a race they are out of.
Of course, how could I forget about the frozen field under yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing