Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 11:55 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times

Advertisements

Hurricane Matthew has forced NASCAR to postpone the opening race of the Round of 12 to Sunday at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

The Bank of America 500 will begin at noon and will be televised on NBC and simulcast on NBCSN. There will be a one-hour prerace show starting at 11 a.m. on NBCSN.

The Race for the Cure 300 Xfinity race, which already had been postponed Friday, will begin 45 minutes after the conclusion of the Sprint Cup race and will be shown on NBCSN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
jimmy johnson seems to be the odds on favorite to win the championship this year after winning the race at charlotte. most of the tracks left are johnsons type of track.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:54 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Yep, if the team can cut out the dumb mistakes that have plagued them, he looks good for number 7.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:00 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Not a JJ fan but, if your team is to catch fire this is the perfect time.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:21 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
Ryan Newman, who nearly won the Sprint Cup title in 2014 in his first year at Richard Childress Racing, will have more chances to win a championship for the organization after signing a contract extension to continue as driver of the RCR No. 31 car.

Details of what was termed as a "multiyear" deal were not released Monday, but Newman's previous contract with the organization was a two-year deal.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:56 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
jimmy johnson seems to be the odds on favorite to win the championship this year after winning the race at charlotte. most of the tracks left are johnsons type of track.
I'd disagree simply because it boils down to 1 race.

Look at his career at Homestead. It's pretty much feast or famine.. But with no wins there.

4 top 5's, 10 top-10's, a 15th, 25th, 32nd, 36th and 40th place finishes in 15 career races.

Both years, so far, it's taken a win at Homestead to take the championship, and he hasn't pulled that off before.

Would I bet against him? No. but, I'm not sure i'd put him up as the favorite either.

Current Championship drivers who HAVE won at Homestead.. All JGR drivers, Kurt Busch and Kevin Harvick. Hendrick has only won 1 race there. Gordon in 2012. though, you COULD say 3 with the 2 wins by SHR. JGR has 6 wins at Homestead.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd disagree simply because it boils down to 1 race.

Look at his career at Homestead. It's pretty much feast or famine.. But with no wins there.

4 top 5's, 10 top-10's, a 15th, 25th, 32nd, 36th and 40th place finishes in 15 career races.

Both years, so far, it's taken a win at Homestead to take the championship, and he hasn't pulled that off before.

Would I bet against him? No. but, I'm not sure i'd put him up as the favorite either.

Current Championship drivers who HAVE won at Homestead.. All JGR drivers, Kurt Busch and Kevin Harvick. Hendrick has only won 1 race there. Gordon in 2012. though, you COULD say 3 with the 2 wins by SHR. JGR has 6 wins at Homestead.
the point was that johnsons best tracks are coming up, and he is in the round of 8 with the win at charlotte. and note your own stats there, 10 top ten finishes in 15 races at homestead is a pretty darned good record. and given that he is on a roll now, he just might sweep through to the championship at homestead.

also note that i said he seems to be the odds on favorite for the championship, not that he was teh favorite.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
There is no discounting the magic of Hendrick power. You guys do remember a few years back when Tony Stewart said he had no business being in the Chase because of poor performance.

Five Chase wins to seal the deal!

JJ is not the same driver he was a few years ago but when a championship is on the line, magic shows up with Hendrick powered cars.

"Stuff happens" but right now JJ seems to have all the right stuff.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:51 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the point was that johnsons best tracks are coming up, and he is in the round of 8 with the win at charlotte. and note your own stats there, 10 top ten finishes in 15 races at homestead is a pretty darned good record. and given that he is on a roll now, he just might sweep through to the championship at homestead.

also note that i said he seems to be the odds on favorite for the championship, not that he was teh favorite.
The tracks being his best just get him to the final race. he can win the next 5 races.. Doesn't mean a thing.

The stat that matters is wins at Homestead. Every year under this format it has required a win at Homestead to win the championship. So, top 5's and top 10's don't really matter.. The one that matters is Wins. And Johnson's stat is 0 in that category. And Hendrick's team stats are very poor in that category with 1 team win and 2 satellite team wins.

So, he goes to Homestead and has a 5th place finish, adding to his great stats there and winds up 4th in the championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
There is no discounting the magic of Hendrick power. You guys do remember a few years back when Tony Stewart said he had no business being in the Chase because of poor performance.

Five Chase wins to seal the deal!

JJ is not the same driver he was a few years ago but when a championship is on the line, magic shows up with Hendrick powered cars.

"Stuff happens" but right now JJ seems to have all the right stuff.
Hendrick teams, more than not, limp to championships. Now, we could crunch the numbers and then go back and forth on which race was the championship race.. But, historically.. Hendrick doesn't win the final race of the year. They've done it three times. Gordon at Homestead once, Gordon at Atlanta in '98 and Jerry Nadeau at Atlanta in 2000.

Gibbs, on the other hand.. 6 or 7 in the final race.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The tracks being his best just get him to the final race. he can win the next 5 races.. Doesn't mean a thing.

The stat that matters is wins at Homestead. Every year under this format it has required a win at Homestead to win the championship. So, top 5's and top 10's don't really matter.. The one that matters is Wins. And Johnson's stat is 0 in that category. And Hendrick's team stats are very poor in that category with 1 team win and 2 satellite team wins.

So, he goes to Homestead and has a 5th place finish, adding to his great stats there and winds up 4th in the championship.
that may be true, but remember that johnson has already gone further in the chase n this format than he has in the past. and in previous races at homestead he has not been running for a championship, as he has either wrapped up the championship, or was out of the running for a championship, so likely his team as working on things for the next season.

if he gets to the championship race as a contender, then things are different, and the real competitor in johnson comes out. once again, i think he is the seeming favorite for winning his seventh championship this year. will he? i dont know, as that remains to be seen. personally i would love to see carl edwards come from the middle of the pack and his first championship at homestead, beating johnson in a close finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing