Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 11:30 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I would like to see one adjustment made to the playoff points system.

Since only one of 16 cars can win the championship and they are in a playoff within a regular season race why do they accumulate points just like the non chasers?

I suggest the chasers accumulate points within their own group of chasers. 16 points for the highest finishing chaser and 1 point for the lowest finishing racer.

This would allow the spread for winners vs losers to remain much closer and allow for the possibility that a poor finish would not lock them out completely from advancing.

The second round it would be 12 points highest finisher.
The third round 8 points.

A win would still get you to the next round but a 40th place finish would not eliminate you completely.

Just a thought.
interesting suggestion, but it takes away from putting the emphasis on winning.

i do however have an idea that sounds interesting though.

once the chase begins, all chasers are automatically in the next race, so they dont have to qualify,, HOWEVER, they all start at the back of the pack based on where they are seeded in the chase segments. for instance the number one seed in the chase segment always starts 40th on the field. that way the bottom 16 qualifiers are always chasers. it will make for some interesting races for sure, and some interesting strategies by the chasers to get their cars up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 12:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, there have even been a few times where teh points leader only needed to start the final race to win the championship. in the end the points leader just rode around all day in the middle of the pack.

at least now everyone in the chase has to be smart about racing, and moving on. build a nice points cushion in the first two races, and run hard enough to make the cut without having to necessarily worry about breaking an engine and being put out of the next round, or having someone do something stupid and again being caught up and being put out of the next round.

homestead though, everyone is going to have to race for the championship.
It always bothered me under the old points system the 2nd place driver could earn as many points as the winner. I understand it was for consistency but I think it accounted for a lot of "safe" racing. One of Stewart's first two championships he needed 15th or better and that's how he ran the whole race- top 15, never making a challenge for a win.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It always bothered me under the old points system the 2nd place driver could earn as many points as the winner. I understand it was for consistency but I think it accounted for a lot of "safe" racing. One of Stewart's first two championships he needed 15th or better and that's how he ran the whole race- top 15, never making a challenge for a win.
yep, that is one of the reasons why late in the season i would tend to watch other things, and just look into a nascar race from time to time. the current chase model has energized my enthusiasm for nascar. it puts the emphasis on winning first, then points racing.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
I think NASCAR has become too "highbrow" to be honest. I'd prefer they drop the restrictor plates and go back to something like it was back in the late 60's/70's where NASCAR had a LOT less input into the cars except for basics and the teams could, well, CHEAT in creative ways as long as you have all the required safety equipment then you're good to go.
If you could get away with shaving the frame or bending the body a bit then well, hell, that's racing. It's not like ALL teams couldn't do those same things right?

Old 10-27-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
yep, that is one of the reasons why late in the season i would tend to watch other things, and just look into a nascar race from time to time. the current chase model has energized my enthusiasm for nascar. it puts the emphasis on winning first, then points racing.
I still favor the old points system however, given the schedule of 36 races is too long IMO the chase format works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think NASCAR has become too "highbrow" to be honest. I'd prefer they drop the restrictor plates and go back to something like it was back in the late 60's/70's where NASCAR had a LOT less input into the cars except for basics and the teams could, well, CHEAT in creative ways as long as you have all the required safety equipment then you're good to go.
If you could get away with shaving the frame or bending the body a bit then well, hell, that's racing. It's not like ALL teams couldn't do those same things right?
The "cheating" is why NASCAR is what it is today. The sanctioning body has become more wise to the rule bending with each passing year making it harder and harder for teams to "cheat."
I would think it a good idea to go back through the rule book line by line and eliminate rules that don't serve a real purpose.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:01 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times
Quote:
Which is why 2 drivers with the most wins are now ineligible for the championship and 3 Gibbs cars rode around in the back of the field on Sunday.

I want the old system back with some adjustments. This is a farce.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Which is why 2 drivers with the most wins are now ineligible for the championship and 3 Gibbs cars rode around in the back of the field on Sunday.

IMO the Gibbs cars got lucky. I've seen that strategy fail more than succeed.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post

i dont miss the old points system, it was possible to run in the top ten all season long and win the championship without a win. and it was also possible to all but wrap up the championship with three races to go, and the points leader would then just ride around in all three races, finish 15th or so, and basically call the race in. what good is that?

with the current format, you essentially have to perform every race. yes there are the occasional anomaly, like the race at talledega, the guys with the most wins had a couple of bad races that put them in a hole, and the gibbs cars had three good races, and did what they needed to do to move on.

it makes things more interesting at the end of the season. can the season winner keep up their performance in the chase? in this case the answer was no they cant. is like the yankees leading the season standings all year, and then crapping out in the playoffs. should we decide to give the championship in baseball to the team that had the best regular season record?

this format makes the teams perform all the time, if they cant, then they are out.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
IMO the Gibbs cars got lucky. I've seen that strategy fail more than succeed.
I agree. They didn't have a big wreck at Talladega this time. 200 MPH and the field wrecking in front of you leaves little margin for error.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
i dont miss the old points system, it was possible to run in the top ten all season long and win the championship without a win. and it was also possible to all but wrap up the championship with three races to go, and the points leader would then just ride around in all three races, finish 15th or so, and basically call the race in. what good is that?
If they hd a big enough lead to do that, then it was earned in the first 20-30 something races of the season. They likely had little to no bad luck, the team built reliable cars and the driver kept out of trouble. It's really not much different than what the Roush cars were able to do at Talladega on Sunday. In fact, under the old system, a 30 something finish might not have killed the point leaders chances, but there is a good possibility they would have lost substantial points to those chasing them. Under the current system don't worry, we'll reset it so everyone is equal anyway. Oh, and Keselowski and Truex, sorry about your luck.

Quote:
with the current format, you essentially have to perform every race. yes there are the occasional anomaly, like the race at talledega, the guys with the most wins had a couple of bad races that put them in a hole, and the gibbs cars had three good races, and did what they needed to do to move on.
I thought "doing what they needed to do" is what helped institute the chase in the first place.

Quote:
it makes things more interesting at the end of the season. can the season winner keep up their performance in the chase? in this case the answer was no they cant. is like the yankees leading the season standings all year, and then crapping out in the playoffs. should we decide to give the championship in baseball to the team that had the best regular season record?
The stick and ball sport analogy makes no sense. The chase drivers are out there with up to 36 other "eliminated" teams. That's the very mentality that is killing the sport. Part of the beauty of it was there were no playoffs, every team competed until the end. Your champion was usually the driver and team who had the best overall season. There were drivers who had 7-8 wins but 10 finishes below 30th. Is that Championship worthy? I think not.

Auto racing encompasses a lot of luck by its own nature. There are too many moving parts, close tolerances and variables to put the championsip in one race, or a few rounds of 3 races where 1 bad race kills your chances. A champion based on the full 36-race schedule allows for those "bad" races to even out.

Quote:
this format makes the teams perform all the time, if they cant, then they are out.
Well, no, not really. Not when points are constantly reset. Not when drivers can say "I have a win, no need to race hard"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing