Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 06:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You think it's different, but it's not.. It's just different players that you're not overly invested in.

Rusty bounced a water bottle off Earnhardt's nose.. They both got called to the hauler.. No penalties, but..

Michael Waltrip reached in and punched.. Was it Chad Little? Who was that? He got fined for that.

If it were 'your' guys driving now.. The ones that you either grew up with or were driving when you got hooked.. I don't think you'd feel the way you do.

I've noticed the same.. I got in around 94/95.. And there's not a single driver that I can think of from that season who is still a full time driver. The whole cast has changed. That's.. Time. Not that todays drivers are better/worse.. They're different. I went to every The Winston/All Star Race from 97 to 2006 or so. In the late 90's to early 2000's.. I went to alot of tracks.. Kansas, Bristol, Atlanta, Martinsville, others.. In the past 5 years..I've been to one.. Iowa, just because I wanted to see what it was about.. great truck race.. Like the track, but.. I have several drivers I like, but.. My guy is a part-timer now, so, I don't really have that one person i'm focused on.

I will say it's gotten too corporate. I miss some of the smaller sponsors that were around back in the day.

Another thing.. Used to be you saw guys 'paying their dues'.. Which made you respect them more. Now, you've got guys coming into top rides and winning off the bat.. I think that hurts the 'bond' that people develop with drivers. There's more movement as well.. You used to see the top guys stay mostly one place. Earnhardt, Martin, Wallace, etc.

It's differently the same.

I miss the days when cars were built from bodies in white and were actually different cars rather than identified by decals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 07:42 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
2020 was an interesting year though not gonna lie
The understatement of the century.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's still there, it's just shifted. It's the Truck Series now and has really shifted down to ARCA more as well.

There's good and bad from it.. You have far more teams and drivers capable of winning each week.. But, you lose much of the 'feeder' rides. Of course, you wind up with an entire feeder series.. And that's one of the reasons I like watching the truck races more now than the Cup races.
3 years after this post, it's shifted even further, if you want even a fleeting hint of the used-to-be you have to go to the home-tracks like Tucson, Irwindale, or just straight up go to an IMSA dirt track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The understatement of the century.
Very much an understatement, NASCAR finally took the huge final dump on it's core fanbase by banning Confederate flags from the tracks, all at the behest of a mediocre driver who insists that he's a victim.

NASCAR isn't in it's prime days of the 90s/2000's anymore. It's pre-COT days are long gone. It feels weird watching Days of Thunder, or 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story now and seeing rebel flags in the infield and grandstands, seeing just what NASCAR would eventually do to that redneck side of their clientele.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
3 years after this post, it's shifted even further, if you want even a fleeting hint of the used-to-be you have to go to the home-tracks like Tucson, Irwindale, or just straight up go to an IMSA dirt track.

Very much an understatement, NASCAR finally took the huge final dump on it's core fanbase by banning Confederate flags from the tracks, all at the behest of a mediocre driver who insists that he's a victim.

NASCAR isn't in it's prime days of the 90s/2000's anymore. It's pre-COT days are long gone. It feels weird watching Days of Thunder, or 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story now and seeing rebel flags in the infield and grandstands, seeing just what NASCAR would eventually do to that redneck side of their clientele.
The traitor’s flag was always an embarrassment to NASCAR. They finally did something about it.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:14 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The traitor’s flag was always an embarrassment to NASCAR. They finally did something about it.
A relic of better times:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/e3...4302677bd9.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAS

Old 11-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Better times? When a big chunk of traitors couldn’t get over the butt whooping they took?

Old 11-29-2020, 10:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I think the drivers are fine these days; for me it symbolically goes back to the track changes that got rid of North Wilkesboro and Rockingham in favor of more corporate and more generic tracks that lacked charm and heritage.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:57 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
I read a interesting and somewhat disturbing story about why, out of the blue almost, NASCAR decided to go with a dirt track at Bristol.

The dirt race is supposed to bring excitement back to Bristol, which used to be the hottest sports ticket almost in the entire world (Bristol couldn't put enough seats in if they tried).

Since NASCAR, unlike the NFL for instance, is just a "sanctioning body", the TV networks have a lot of influence since they are mostly paying NASCAR's bills and funding the Championship purse. The idea of a dirt track race came mostly from the TV network after being floated by Marcus Smith. The choice was given to the team owners to vote on. Their choice was either a dirt track race (a few places were mentioned) or go away from the short weekends like they had in 2020. Short weekends save the owners a LOT of money (hotels, per diem, etc...) and were promised to keep them at most tracks though 2021. So the owners voted to go with a dirt race at Bristol. NASCAR has promised the owners 28 single day races in 2021.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:01 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Better times? When a big chunk of traitors couldn’t get over the butt whooping they took?

Yeah.. Exactly the same with those whiny effing native americans. We whupped their ass and forced their integration and they have the damned gall to try to force their culture to be kept and make us change ours (ie - Redskins)

Totally agree with your sentiment there.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:13 AM

Not even remotely similar.

One group slaughtered in mass vs a group that wanted to own other human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing