Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times

Advertisements

Disappointed in Petty but he is old and not very educated. Childress I already knew was an idiot. Jr got it right and proud he understands whats going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 07:07 AM

9,504 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Disappointed in Petty but he is old and not very educated. Childress I already knew was an idiot. Jr got it right and proud he understands whats going on.
Here is what Jr said:

All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protests
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK

- Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) September 25, 2017

He is 100% right. NO ONE is denying a peaceful protest on your own time. Protest peacefully all you want.

But in the NFL or especially NASCAR, you are representing your team and sponsor, who are paying you. The sponsor may even have a clause in the contract on how you act outside of work as well.

But Jr is right, peaceful protest is a right protected by the Americans who died to defend that right.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 AM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
He is 100% right. NO ONE is denying a peaceful protest on your own time. Protest peacefully all you want.

But in the NFL or especially NASCAR, you are representing your team and sponsor, who are paying you. The sponsor may even have a clause in the contract on how you act outside of work as well.

But Jr is right, peaceful protest is a right protected by the Americans who died to defend that right.
It's like the whole freedom of speech thing.. Yes, you are protected from being arrested for your speech.. However.. ask the Dixie Chicks or many, many other people about how it turns out. Remember the guy who berated a Chick-Fil-A employee in the drive-thru and videotaped himself and thought he'd be this big social justice hero?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...moir/70629290/

Old 09-26-2017, 03:55 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Owners in NFL have allowed it. Teammates have supported it. Not sure about sponsors, but perhaps they won't have to pay the team/NFL/player. Sounds like no rules have been broken by the players in their silent protest.

I'm not going to depend on NASCAR to make any social waves - do they even have an African American driver or fan base? I wouldn't expect NASCAR to do anything that might come across as socially disruptive.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:04 PM

5,206 posts, read 6,142,795 times
My take is we are bombarded through social media, the news, friends, family, and co-workers with every conspiracy theory, different party rhetoric, opinions on culture, racism, healthcare and what ever else that is now considered news since the election each week Monday through Friday.

Saturday and Sunday were days off for a lot of us at least every couple of weeks. This was time to decompress and enjoy a little time off. Now some of those same topics are being thrust in our laps through sporting events. I didn't turn on the NFL this weekend do to work, so I was pretty caught off guard when looking for scores to see so much emphasis on what had happened at the games. I had not heard about what happened in advance of the weekend. My friends say the some sportscasters doing the games spent time talking about it during the games.

The NFL can weather a storm, NASCAR can not.

Americans are getting tired, they still care but they are worn out.

My three cents

Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Owners in NFL have allowed it. Teammates have supported it. Not sure about sponsors, but perhaps they won't have to pay the team/NFL/player. Sounds like no rules have been broken by the players in their silent protest.

I'm not going to depend on NASCAR to make any social waves - do they even have an African American driver or fan base? I wouldn't expect NASCAR to do anything that might come across as socially disruptive.
dont forget that the NFL teams and players dont really have to take care of their sponsors, nascar teams do. insult a sponsor in the NFL, and they just pull their advertising money, and someone else replaces it. in nascar however, when a sponsor pulls their advertising money, the individual teams suffer greatly, and without the millions they get each year, yes they will fold.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
Licking corporate and government boot. As American as apple pie.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Licking corporate and government boot. As American as apple pie.
go buy your own race team, and then cone up with the $25 million per year to run the team for a full season without corporate or any other kind of sponsorship, and then come back as say that.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Actually they're all correct in that while at work one has to act in such a manner that is acceptable to ones employer. That company owner has a duty to his company to think about the CUSTOMER who PAYS for the whole thing to start with and what that CUSTOMER would think/say/do should they take offense. Customer includes sponsors who also have responsibilities to their bottom line.

Unless bound by contract one can somewhat do what one wants on ones own time but not when on the clock.
NASCAR has enough issues without adding this kneeling sideshow to them.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:24 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Professional sports is the exception, especially given the public arenas, public funds, and leagues draping themselves in the flag. Then the athletes get a say. Nascar drivers are all white as is the base so can't imagine anyone would get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing