Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 03:27 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Bet he has a smart phone.
You would win that bet! but i don't.. FWIW..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatejohn View Post
most of the races i watch now i see the first 15 laps, and the last 15 laps. I take a nap.
dad??? Is that you?

Old 01-23-2017, 03:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Most of the races I watch now I see the first 15 laps, and the last 15 laps. I take a nap.
i sometimes watch some of the middle race laps also. but that is about the extent of it.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Well, watching the NASCAR special on NBCsports.. outlining the new NASCAR point system.
Simple just went OUT the window. I am gonna need a spreadsheet to keep up with the points..

Ironically, i don't give a crap about points.. i want my driver to WIN.. period.. 2nd sux.. it always has, it always will. i hate when i driver says. oh well, we didn't win but it was a good points day.. they just EXPANDED that 10 fold. ugh..

leading the first 2 segments.. ? really.. not a fan. i don't know. i love racing so i am certainly gonna attend and watch but this new points system is not something i am excited about..

Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, watching the NASCAR special on NBCsports.. outlining the new NASCAR point system.
Simple just went OUT the window. I am gonna need a spreadsheet to keep up with the points..

Ironically, i don't give a crap about points.. i want my driver to WIN.. period.. 2nd sux.. it always has, it always will. i hate when i driver says. oh well, we didn't win but it was a good points day.. they just EXPANDED that 10 fold. ugh..

leading the first 2 segments.. ? really.. not a fan. i don't know. i love racing so i am certainly gonna attend and watch but this new points system is not something i am excited about..
I just read it.. And "WTF" is what comes to mind.

This looks like the 1972 points system. At least in how friggin' confusing it is.

Playoff points.. What this basically means is that someone who only wins 1 race is basically eliminated from winning the championship, because he's at a 15 point hole every segment of the chase to someone who wins 4 races (or 'playoffs).

It does put a much bigger emphasis on winning.. Gotta give it that.

But they've basically made it so that someone can make the playoffs and just about be mathematically eliminated when they start the 3rd segment.

3 drivers win 4 races each.. Lead 1st or second segment in all 17 races each

That gives them a 33 point lead on someone who wins a single race and doesn't lead any segments.

A 33 point hole is virtually impossible to overcome in 3 races.

Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.. But, it's going to make keeping things straight at Richmond a pain.

I think Carl heard about this and that's why he decided to quit.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:34 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
I haven't looked into it yet ,I'm sure I wont understand it all, but these segments, will they be throwing cautions when these segments end, or are they just going to keep running and whoever is leading gets that segment?

Old 01-23-2017, 05:30 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I haven't looked into it yet ,I'm sure I wont understand it all, but these segments, will they be throwing cautions when these segments end, or are they just going to keep running and whoever is leading gets that segment?
The way they explained it on TV was there will be a caution after each section where the winner of that section will be interviewed ( in the car I guess ) then there would be a commercial and when they get back fro commercial the pits would open for pit stops.

One goal is to not keep from missing stuff during commercials while pit stops are going on.

One good laugh came about when they were talking abut replacing the term "the chase" with "playoff" and Dale Jr. laughing said that will make the fans who have wanted to get rid of the chase happy.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
The way they explained it on TV was there will be a caution after each section where the winner of that section will be interviewed ( in the car I guess ) then there would be a commercial and when they get back fro commercial the pits would open for pit stops.

One goal is to not keep from missing stuff during commercials while pit stops are going on.

One good laugh came about when they were talking abut replacing the term "the chase" with "playoff" and Dale Jr. laughing said that will make the fans who have wanted to get rid of the chase happy.
Good God!!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
sounds like it is time to burn down nascar, and start over with people that know how to put on a race.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Oh **** that!

I didn't hear that there'd be a caution at each segment. Now i'm totally against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing