Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2021, 06:13 PM

414 posts, read 533,721 times

Advertisements

Heard a rumor that NASCAR and the NHL is going to the USA Network after NBC Sports is closing down. Any truth to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 06:19 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
They announced it officially on the 22nd.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:01 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Yep, it's happening. That's too bad, but it may open NASCAR to more viewers since many folks prefer not to pay for the sports packages on cable where NBCSN typically resides. Almost all cable packages include USA as standard.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:57 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Yep, it's happening. That's too bad, but it may open NASCAR to more viewers since many folks prefer not to pay for the sports packages on cable where NBCSN typically resides. Almost all cable packages include USA as standard.
I read that around 60 million people have access to NBCSN while over 62 million have access to USA Network. Not a ton more but still more nonetheless. I was never a fan of NBCSN. I believe this will be a good opportunity for NASCAR. Honestly I was hoping FOX/FS1 would get more races. I always thought they did a better job than NBCSN. I wonder if this means NBC will broadcast more races now? Guess we'll see.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:08 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I read that around 60 million people have access to NBCSN while over 62 million have access to USA Network. Not a ton more but still more nonetheless. I was never a fan of NBCSN. I believe this will be a good opportunity for NASCAR. Honestly I was hoping FOX/FS1 would get more races. I always thought they did a better job than NBCSN. I wonder if this means NBC will broadcast more races now? Guess we'll see.
Interesting. I cut the cord several years ago, as have about 10 million other Americans over that period and is increasing. Last estimate (2020) is that 44.3 million households have no pay-TV (network) type of service, leaving about 80 million who still have some form of cable TV subscription.

What is interesting that back in 2013 when NASCAR negotiated a jaw dropping $8.2B rights fees with FOX and NBC, it was the intention that FS1 and NBCSN would go up against ESPN and steal away viewers. At the time ESPN received over $5 per subscriber per month and both of the newcomers wanted to increase their share of that. Fast forward 7 years. With declining viewership for NASCAR and most sports in general plus cord cutting, both networks must have lost a lot of money on this contract. Probably had a factor in closing up NBCSN.

Maybe in the next TV contract, NASCAR should think outside the box a bit. Let services like Amazon or Netflix get in on the bidding when the contract goes up for renewal in 2023. NASCAR has an average of about 3 million viewers each weekend.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:10 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
I can't imagine NASCAR will be able to get 50% of that price next time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing