Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 06:10 AM

9,400 posts, read 9,689,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think the Roval is here to stay. Wow.. What a final 10 laps.

I'm not a Johnson fan, and he took himself out.. But I can't imagine that Larson was making minimum speed. I can't believe the right front didn't fall off.
Well Johnson was just a few feet from making it to the next round. Experience got him that far, then he got stupid. He said he wheel hopped then took out the 78. Now he is out. I had my doubts that he would have made it out of the next round anyway, but he did seem to be getting better and finding some speed.

Loved the fight in Larson. Really hope that kid can get a win in the next few races and make it to the final four. Will be fun to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 08:57 AM

17,406 posts, read 14,975,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Unfortunately, CMS will take every advantage of it they can. I see "The Winston" going to the Roval, and the 600 will somehow get worked into it as well. FWIW, the stands still were full.

I could see maybe running the Winston on the Roval every other year or something.. But they won't touch the 600.

There's things that they will need to improve, but for what it was.. It was a great start. Kudos to CMS for having the balls to try this.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, CMS will take every advantage of it they can. I see "The Winston" going to the Roval, and the 600 will somehow get worked into it as well. FWIW, the stands still were full.

the stands were full because it was a brand new configuration. next years race will be the same way. after that we shall see.

Quote:
I could see maybe running the Winston on the Roval every other year or something.. But they won't touch the 600.

There's things that they will need to improve, but for what it was.. It was a great start. Kudos to CMS for having the balls to try this.

i agree, the 600 will still be on the oval. i dont think they will change the winston ether, but that depends on what the fans want.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:59 PM

5,622 posts, read 5,776,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the stands were full because it was a brand new configuration. next years race will be the same way. after that we shall see.

i agree, the 600 will still be on the oval. i dont think they will change the winston ether, but that depends on what the fans want.
I meant to say the stands WERE NOT full.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I meant to say the stands WERE NOT full.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.. But, would they have been full if it were a standard race on the mile and a half?

Since NASCAR doesn't release attendance figures anymore.. We can't really tell. But.. I certainly think that the results will entice a few people to get tickets next year. Plus, the fact that this is the only NASCAR road course the southern US has.. I swear i'm forgetting one.. I may be thinking of Road Atlanta, but.. NASCAR doesn't run on that.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:43 PM

5,622 posts, read 5,776,135 times
Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that as well.. But, would they have been full if it were a standard race on the mile and a half?

Since NASCAR doesn't release attendance figures anymore.. We can't really tell. But.. I certainly think that the results will entice a few people to get tickets next year. Plus, the fact that this is the only NASCAR road course the southern US has.. I swear i'm forgetting one.. I may be thinking of Road Atlanta, but.. NASCAR doesn't run on that.
Theres a reason for that ya know. "Us southern rednecks don't like no road course racing!! Racecars is supposed to turn left, not right unless they coming to pit."

Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,015,410 times
Looks like the obstruction on the main course just past the s/f line is permanent.
I'm wondering how the Daytona 500 would be like using the road course. Thousands of cars would lose a parking spot.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Looks like the obstruction on the main course just past the s/f line is permanent.
I'm wondering how the Daytona 500 would be like using the road course. Thousands of cars would lose a parking spot.

You mean the chicane BEFORE the start finish line?

It might be smarter for them to move it after the line, because it would avoid what happened this year with them all piling in to turn 1..

I think restarts that avoid the chicane are part of the problem. Maybe keep it where it is, but they have to go through it on restarts.

This was not a train wreck, even though the ending certainly looked like it. There is good potential with this. It doesn't need wholesale changes, just tweaks.

I'm betting that Bojangles and.. Who was the other company that got their billboard carried around the track attached to Almirola's bumper? I'll bet those billboards are sold out well in advance of next years race.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:55 AM

No more restrictor plates after the 500.. This should be interesting.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:45 AM

9,400 posts, read 9,689,645 times
Quote:
No more restrictor plates after the 500.. This should be interesting.
But NASCAR is still relying on a smaller tapered spacer and increased aerodynamic downforce to reduce speeds at the circuit’s largest speedways. The total effect of the smaller spacer, larger spoilers and splitters, plus aero ducts is expected to reduce horsepower and increase drag to replicate the current brand of racing in the patented tightly woven packs at those two superspeedways.

Although HP will increase from 410 to 550, the aero effects are expected to offset any potential gain from removing the plates.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing