Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 12:03 PM

17,582 posts, read 15,254,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
NASCAR is replacing restrictor plates with "tapered spacers". I believe they do pretty much the same thing. The spring 'Dega race will be the first to use them.

It's actually more detailed than this.. tapered spacer will be used everywhere to reduce HP to approximately 750 on short tracks/road courses and 550 on intermediate and superspeedways.

Spacers have been used at all tracks since 2015. But the larger tracks will have a narrower opening to further limit horsepower.

Additionally, aero ducts will be utlized at most 1.5 mile tracks. Not at Intermediate speedways Darlington, Homestead, Pocono and Atlanta.

On those tracks and others, they will be blocked off, or brake ducts used.

Additionally, the spoiler size is increased and the radiator pan and splitter have changes to them, in an effort to allow passing.

All of this should keep speeds at or around 200mph, even at the former plate tracks. While providing improved throttle response and handling around other cars.

That's the theory, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
Interesting. Hopefully more throttle control will help passing. Depending on air and luck is no way to good racing, good crashing, but not racing.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Interesting. Hopefully more throttle control will help passing. Depending on air and luck is no way to good racing, good crashing, but not racing.
we won't have long to wait.. Atlanta will be an immediate test. However, I suspect there will be no practice nor qualifying. Weather in Atlanta looks bad this weekend, but clearing up for the race on Sunday.

They MIGHT sneak the Xfinity race in on Saturday.. But I don't see both it and the truck race getting through.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's actually more detailed than this.. tapered spacer will be used everywhere to reduce HP to approximately 750 on short tracks/road courses and 550 on intermediate and superspeedways.

Spacers have been used at all tracks since 2015. But the larger tracks will have a narrower opening to further limit horsepower.

Additionally, aero ducts will be utlized at most 1.5 mile tracks. Not at Intermediate speedways Darlington, Homestead, Pocono and Atlanta.

On those tracks and others, they will be blocked off, or brake ducts used.

Additionally, the spoiler size is increased and the radiator pan and splitter have changes to them, in an effort to allow passing.

All of this should keep speeds at or around 200mph, even at the former plate tracks. While providing improved throttle response and handling around other cars.

That's the theory, at least.
It's interesting that NASCAR wants to find a way to keep costs down, but necessitates all of these different cars for different tracks. Wasn't the talk once about going to a single car type?

Old 02-20-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It's interesting that NASCAR wants to find a way to keep costs down, but necessitates all of these different cars for different tracks. Wasn't the talk once about going to a single car type?

It's the same car.. Just a matter of routing ductwork. Even the engines are the same for each track, though obviously the tuning on them would be quite different, pending on which spacer is being used.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's the same car.. Just a matter of routing ductwork. Even the engines are the same for each track, though obviously the tuning on them would be quite different, pending on which spacer is being used.
I understand your point, but they aren't really. All the big time shops have multiple chassis' and cars for different tracks. I thought the idea was to go to a single style and chassis to allow the smaller teams to be more competitive?

Old 02-24-2019, 05:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
well so far the fords are doing better than i expected given the new body style. brad k wins the atlanta race today over martin truex. i didnt expect a ford to win until race 7 or eight, and figured it would be harvick with that first win of the season for ford.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well so far the fords are doing better than i expected given the new body style. brad k wins the atlanta race today over martin truex. i didnt expect a ford to win until race 7 or eight, and figured it would be harvick with that first win of the season for ford.
I think everyone is pretty surprised with how the new Mustang is preforming (at least I am). Especially with the struggles the new Camaro had (is still having) last season. That being said, the Toyota's look great. I think all 4 JGR drivers make the playoffs again this year.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I think everyone is pretty surprised with how the new Mustang is preforming (at least I am). Especially with the struggles the new Camaro had (is still having) last season. That being said, the Toyota's look great. I think all 4 JGR drivers make the playoffs again this year.

The thing that stood out to me from yesterday's race was how much clean air meant. Anyone who fell back pretty much stayed in the back. It took a long time to recover. Larson really never did.

Curious if there had been another lap or two whether Keselowski would have held the lead.

Is anyone else having trouble adjusting to the fact that the new "decent day" is about 15th place?

I mean, years past, if someone ran top 25.. They generally had a decent day. Not the best, perhaps, but decent. With only 37 cars.. Past 20th place, at least, is generally a bad day.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Oh, yeah.. Forgot.. 195 after the Truck win at Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing