Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 AM

17,376 posts, read 14,906,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you missed my point, what nascar was trying to prevent, and what i think is quite wrong by the way, is one driver wining both the xfiniti AND monster energy cup championships in the SAME season. carl edwards and brad k were the only two that even came close to doing that before nascar changed the rules.
I understand what you're getting at.. But I think it was more that they didn't want "Buschwhackers" winning the title in the Busch series. When they went 5 years without a Busch regular winning the title is when they decided they needed to take action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 07:30 AM

9,356 posts, read 9,646,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually having the cup drivers in the lower series helps the lower series. it adds fans to the seats, and it gives the up and comers a taste of what they have to face when they get to the upper series.
When I watch a race, I find it a bit more fun NOT to know who the winner is BEFORE the race starts. In the only two races that Kyle Busch (or any contending Cup driver) was in, he won both races! Pretty much a slam dunk if a Cup driver is in a race, that he will win.

So the real race is 2nd through 30 something. Sort of like two races in one. KB racing himself, then the rest racing each other.

But I understand that KB and other cup drivers do bring more eyeballs to a race. If I was a huge 18 fan, I would love to see him dominate every race.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,622,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
When I watch a race, I find it a bit more fun NOT to know who the winner is BEFORE the race starts. In the only two races that Kyle Busch (or any contending Cup driver) was in, he won both races! Pretty much a slam dunk if a Cup driver is in a race, that he will win.

So the real race is 2nd through 30 something. Sort of like two races in one. KB racing himself, then the rest racing each other.

But I understand that KB and other cup drivers do bring more eyeballs to a race. If I was a huge 18 fan, I would love to see him dominate every race.

maybe this season, but xfinity drivers HAVE beaten cup regulars over the years, including kyle busch.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:41 AM

Wow, Kyle is having a great year so far. Great comeback after the speeding penalty at Auto Club.

Other than that, race was pretty bland. Seemed like the seating was about half full from the overhead pictures.

I have read that TV ratings have been ticking up all year though.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:05 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,789,052 times
Quote:
Wow, Kyle is having a great year so far. Great comeback after the speeding penalty at Auto Club.

Other than that, race was pretty bland. Seemed like the seating was about half full from the overhead pictures.

I have read that TV ratings have been ticking up all year though.
I think it had to be more than half. The ends had some empty seats but everything in between looked to be pretty filled in. In field was pretty full too. Where did you read about the tv ratings? That’s great news.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Saw this on another forum and wanted to see what you guys thought.

What is your favorite and least favorite stretch of 3 races this year.

Favorite: April (Bristol, Richmond, Dega)
Runner up: August (Watkins Glen, Michigan, Bristol)

Least favorite: NASCAR goes west (Vegas, ISM, Autoclub)
Runner up: November (Texas, ISM, Miami)

Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Saw this on another forum and wanted to see what you guys thought.

What is your favorite and least favorite stretch of 3 races this year.

Favorite: April (Bristol, Richmond, Dega)
Runner up: August (Watkins Glen, Michigan, Bristol)

Least favorite: NASCAR goes west (Vegas, ISM, Autoclub)
Runner up: November (Texas, ISM, Miami)

The championship race is on the least favorite? That isn't good.

I'd put it as Kentucky, New Hampshire, Pocono

And, that's sad, because NH and Pocono used to be two of my favorite races back in the late 90's.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

And, that's sad, because NH and Pocono used to be two of my favorite races back in the late 90's.
Not a fan at all of Miami. I get that they want to put the championship on a 1.5 mile track vs a short track or super speedway, and due to the time of year it can’t be to far north, but that still leaves Texas, Atlanta, and Vegas, all which would be better IMO.

Also I agree with your 3 as well. NH and Pocono have not been the best these past few years. Which stinks because those are the 2 closest tracks to me besides Watkins Glen.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I agree with the poll as well as yours. NH and Pocono were some very good races back in the day. Today, not so much.

I always remember Jeff Gordon hitting the wall when his brakes gave out at Pocono. He said it was one of the hardest hits of his career.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I agree with the poll as well as yours. NH and Pocono were some very good races back in the day. Today, not so much.

I always remember Jeff Gordon hitting the wall when his brakes gave out at Pocono. He said it was one of the hardest hits of his career.

Pocono was cool because of that final 100 laps. Remember both races were 500 mile races and.. It was like Dover.. The leader at the 400 mile mark was rarely the winner of the race. Much like Dover.

Pocono used to have a significant number of engine failures due to the high RPMs, and then you'd have transmission issues because of the shifting they'd do..

It was a looooong race, admittedly, but if you sat through it all, it was generally worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing