Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 02:55 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,749,413 times

Advertisements

Not a Clarkson fan in the slightest, uninterested in his opinion on anything.

Now THERE was a happy podium, today.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 05:14 PM

5,406 posts, read 8,092,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Okay, US-based F1 watchers, trying to find a way to record F1 races without using cable TV. Watching live doesn't cut it, as I am not willing to stay up in to the middle of the night to watch the majority of races. I like to watch my F1 races at a comfortable 7 in the morning, Pacific time, suitably fortified with an espresso. Or a mimosa, as need be.

What service do you use to watch with?
I just spent some time on F1's official Web site. For the USA, for a fee, you can stream the races live or watch replays 2 days later.

However, as far as I can tell and I searched all over, you can only do it on android or Apple devices which rule watching it on a TV. I know there are ways to "cast" from phones and tablets to TVs, but that's really a clumsy and difficult way to do it.

Maybe someday we will be able to stream on Roku type devices and watch replays right away (I can do it for motocross races), but apparently not now.

Last edited by karlsch; 07-29-2019 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 01:39 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,603,720 times
In terms of pure racing, Germany was bad. In terms of pure fascination, it was great.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:50 PM

I think it was a bad move to simply fine the team for LeClerc's unsafe pit release, instead of doing what F1 has done most races, which is add a time penalty for the driver. The teams will pay fines all day to get their driver a jump on another driver coming out of the pits. Letting someone go in an unsafe manner NEEDS to hurt the driver on the track, it is the only way to get the team's attention.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:03 PM

5,406 posts, read 8,092,393 times
Quote:
I think it was a bad move to simply fine the team for LeClerc's unsafe pit release, instead of doing what F1 has done most races, which is add a time penalty for the driver. The teams will pay fines all day to get their driver a jump on another driver coming out of the pits. Letting someone go in an unsafe manner NEEDS to hurt the driver on the track, it is the only way to get the team's attention.
I agree with this and was surprised when they announced the penalty on the broadcast.

I am in favor of letting drivers race on the track, but an unsafe pit release can result in a disaster - vulnerable pit crew members being injured or even killed.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 AM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
Quote:

To me it's a tough call simply because the driver's at the mercy of the pit crew as far as when they're released. Perhaps the driver should be allowed to earn points with no time penalty but a time penalty be applied to determine position for constructor's points? The problem with that is there's no penalty if the driver isn't in the points to begin with. Maybe a bigger threat to the team would be forcing them to remove all sponsorship markings from the car for a certain number of on-track sessions?

Last edited by burdell; 08-01-2019 at 05:46 AM..

Old 08-01-2019, 01:01 PM

.. and apparently that was a one-off, because the FIA and the teams had a little sit-down after Germany and agreed that time penalties are the correct penalty. (Besides, €5,000? They spend more than that on champagne in the team VIP box at a race.) Most vocal about it? Verstappen, who got nailed with a time penalty in Monaco for same.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Huh, Indycar is going to a hybrid system in 2022, although it'll be different than the F1 system, as it will be a "spec" component (more-or-less).

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/08...INDYCAR-Hybrid

Old 08-03-2019, 01:50 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,170,949 times
Max gets his first Pole and becomes the 100th driver to get a Pole in F1. And interesting day. Should be a good race tomorrow. Maybe.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:10 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Max gets his first Pole and becomes the 100th driver to get a Pole in F1. And interesting day. Should be a good race tomorrow. Maybe.

I have to wonder if McLaren has regrets over giving up on the HONDA engine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing