Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times

Advertisements

Not a Christian Bale fan and I am not sure I can quite see Matt Damon as Caroll Shelby, but, as we all know, we will be going to see it for the cars:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186...tt_pv_vi_aiv_1
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Alex Gurney playing his Dad should be a good fit!

Old 06-05-2019, 05:11 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Not a Christian Bale fan and I am not sure I can quite see Matt Damon as Caroll Shelby, but, as we all know, we will be going to see it for the cars:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186...tt_pv_vi_aiv_1
Wow, thanks for the link. I had not heard of this movie at all. Shelby is one of my favorite persons.

Looking forward to this!

Old 06-09-2019, 10:45 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Weirdly Ford V Ferrari Is Called Le Mans '66 In The UK

I think Le Mans '66 sounds so much better.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Weirdly Ford V Ferrari Is Called Le Mans '66 In The UK

I think Le Mans '66 sounds so much better.

Maybe, but in the US most would probably think it was some strange movie about a '66 Pontiac.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:37 PM

1,411 posts, read 565,000 times
I would not have cast Damon as Shelby; not a remote resemblance to Ol'Shel, but I am excited about the movie.
I am old enough to remember the glory days of the Shelby Cobras and Ford GT40's, and that black & white Le Mans coverage on ABC's Wide World of Sports.
Very sad how Ken Miles, who seems to be the main character, met his demise.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
There is also a movie coming about about CART/Indycar's medical teams, Rapid Response, based partly on Dr. Terry Trammell's memoirs:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1027611...?ref_=tt_ov_vi
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-14-2019, 07:53 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Ford v Ferrari is getting mostly positive reviews, even from critics who have no interest in motor racing. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ford_v_ferrari

Opens in theaters tomorrow.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:24 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Ford v Ferrari is getting mostly positive reviews, even from critics who have no interest in motor racing. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ford_v_ferrari

Opens in theaters tomorrow.

The movie was great, a good old fashioned story.

I maybe biased a little because as a boy growing up in the sixties the GT 40 was one of my favorite matchbox cars and always a favorite on my HO racetracks. Later in life as I got older my interest and appreciation in Carroll Shelby only grew.

Christian Bale stole the movie as Ken Miles. While I knew about the history of Shelby's racing program in the sixties, I didn't realize it was such a David versus Goliath between Carroll Shelby and Ford Motors.

Anyway, great movie for those who love cars and automotive history. It might be clouded a bit but the portrayal of those in the movie were close enough for me. I also came away an even bigger Ken Miles fan.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 11-17-2019 at 06:05 AM..

Old 11-18-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
The movie was great, a good old fashioned story.

I maybe biased a little because as a boy growing up in the sixties the GT 40 was one of my favorite matchbox cars and always a favorite on my HO racetracks. Later in life as I got older my interest and appreciation in Carroll Shelby only grew.

Christian Bale stole the movie as Ken Miles. While I knew about the history of Shelby's racing program in the sixties, I didn't realize it was such a David versus Goliath between Carroll Shelby and Ford Motors.

Anyway, great movie for those who love cars and automotive history. It might be clouded a bit but the portrayal of those in the movie were close enough for me. I also came away an even bigger Ken Miles fan.

Did Walt Hansgen, killed testing a Ford prototype, get any mention in the movie? It's shocking to me to look back at that era and see how many were killed in testing/racing incidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing