Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hey, Burdell - Didn't realize you were a F1 fan. Now that F1 is back in Europe A& I can enjoy Sunday morning at the races. I think they should go to complete slicks and reduce the aero to a single wing front and rear along with a venturi shaped belly pan. Allow any number of cylinders with a 15 grand rev limit and fully auto transmissions (constant input speed variable ratio) and anti skid brakes. I also think the cars should be a bit less fragile.
I'd like to see any cylinder count with NO rev limit, if a team can get a motor to live at 30,000 RPM more power (for sure) to them I'm old enough to remember the first year (1966) of the 3.0L formula, V-8s, V-12s, and a coupla H-16s to spice up the action.

I'd like to see a cc/grams formula, teams would have a choice between small engined light cars and heavier cars with more engine capacity. The current trend is too much towards a spec car for my liking, I'd like to see more room for experimentation. I miss the likes of Ken Tyrell's 6 wheelers. But I'd allow nothing on the steering wheels but the drivers' hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The other racing I like is motorcycle road racing. The 1,000 cc race bikes are just about the most unstable overpowered vehicles out there. I have never seen as much passing in an auto race as in a Moto GP or superbike.
They're down to 800cc now but I agree, racing at it's BEST! But I wouldn't be disappointed if two-strokes were allowed back into the game .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,572,644 times
Misplaced comment

Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 AM

323 posts, read 2,085,043 times
Great post...not nearly enough posts dedicated to Formula1.

I think it's shaping up to be a great season...seems like Kimi is finally having some luck and would love to see him take this season.

Hamilton- great driver...but c'mon how can you not be in the top 3 driving a McLaren! He's way overhyped!

McLaren- Where are they this year without Alonso's input, they've easily lost .5 second without him...serves them right!
Ross Dennis turned out to be a clown and is paying the price, he should've stepped down..he's the reason McLaren failed last year..if they let Alonso have free reign...he would've been driver champion & McLaren would've taken the constructors.

Renault- No chance for constructors, but I think in Barcelona they've showed great progress and they can be competitive.

BMW- Happy to see them doing well, well deserved and a great solid team.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Hamilton is obviously very quick in a good car, I don't think he's yet proved he can be consistently quick in an average car, the mark of a truly great driver.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:25 PM

323 posts, read 2,085,043 times
I totally agree, very well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hamilton is obviously very quick in a good car, I don't think he's yet proved he can be consistently quick in an average car, the mark of a truly great driver.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 AM

559 posts, read 1,373,831 times
Sorry about the quasi-cross-post but I just discovered this, more appropriate forum.

I don't know why there is no U.S. Grand Prix (at the Brickyard) this season. A long time ago we had a few races in the streets of Long Beach as well as Detroit.

The current Long Beach Grand Prix is a Champ Cars/CART event, not Formula 1 (also features the exciting American Le Mans series). I would assume that with the large international population of L.A. that there would be plenty of interest in a F1 race in Long Beach.

Are F1 events unprofitable in the U.S.? I suppose there would have to be some resolution with the IndyCar series but why not have both events over two weekends? I can't imagine that these wouldn't be a huge magnet for tourist dollars.

Am I alone in wanting F1 in L.A.?

Champ Car has a "push to pass" feature which allows each driver to utilize a rationed amount of extra boost. Maybe F1 can deploy something similar: a limited amount of over-rev past 19k? This way a reasonable rev limit is maintained for all teams but if a team wants to invest in a 30k rpm ceiling, they can. Might make for more exciting racing.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:28 PM

113 posts, read 495,096 times
Let's have F1 up here at Laguna Seca....but with the old unsanitized configuration!

Enjoying the season as I alway do. Bob, David, Steve, Peter are the best team in motorsports broadcast. Oh and Sam too.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:43 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
Formula one is like many sports that the world like but will never replace baseball and football here. Just different tastes.I use to follows F1 but it got so that only four peole on two teams had much of a chamce and then with paasing so difficault it got like watching a parade. The only eacing exitmant was the pit race. I still like the cars themselves but the racing stinks.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Sorry about the quasi-cross-post but I just discovered this, more appropriate forum.

I don't know why there is no U.S. Grand Prix (at the Brickyard) this season. A long time ago we had a few races in the streets of Long Beach as well as Detroit.

The current Long Beach Grand Prix is a Champ Cars/CART event, not Formula 1 (also features the exciting American Le Mans series). I would assume that with the large international population of L.A. that there would be plenty of interest in a F1 race in Long Beach.

Are F1 events unprofitable in the U.S.? I suppose there would have to be some resolution with the IndyCar series but why not have both events over two weekends? I can't imagine that these wouldn't be a huge magnet for tourist dollars.

Am I alone in wanting F1 in L.A.?

Champ Car has a "push to pass" feature which allows each driver to utilize a rationed amount of extra boost. Maybe F1 can deploy something similar: a limited amount of over-rev past 19k? This way a reasonable rev limit is maintained for all teams but if a team wants to invest in a 30k rpm ceiling, they can. Might make for more exciting racing.

I think at least part of the problem is Bernie Ecclestone demands too much $$$ up front.

And I believe F1 should eliminate rev limits all together, it is after all supposed to be the top formula, not a spec car series.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:04 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,829,799 times
So who watched the Montreal GP this morning?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing