Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 05:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times

Advertisements

Dale Jr on the Download podcast today said it best for me. If you don't have that word in your vocabulary, you won't accidentally say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 05:37 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Jeremy Clements apparently used it a few years back.. Totally flew under the radar because while he was talking to a reporter, it wasn't being recorded or anything. I don't even recall hearing about it.

Based on what I can find about it.. Sounds like he may have used the offensive version of "jerry-rigged"

I'd say he came back from it.. But.. He always just cobbled sponsorship together. Never had a big sponsor and with the incident being pretty low key.. I'd suspect he's fairly ticked off right now because it's being brought back up.
Well, hes a local boy to us, so Im sure that phrase just comes natural to him. I hear it regularly around here.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:00 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Well, hes a local boy to us, so Im sure that phrase just comes natural to him. I hear it regularly around here.

Who was the local guy.. Had a shop down in Simpsonville/Fountain Inn? Right down near Cannon Memorial Gardens and.. didn't he die in an ARCA race? Ooooh.. Who am I thinking of?

Or am I just confusing two people?

Chad Coleman.. I think that's it.

FWIW.. I'm related, by marriage, to Don Duckworth who ran the 1955 Southern 500 and had a horrendous crash that left him in a coma. Never met the man. He married a cousin on my fathers side.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...vans-duckworth

You can find video of his wreck on Youtube as well.

Last edited by Labonte18; 04-15-2020 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-15-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Who was the local guy.. Had a shop down in Simpsonville/Fountain Inn? Right down near Cannon Memorial Gardens and.. didn't he die in an ARCA race? Ooooh.. Who am I thinking of?

Or am I just confusing two people?

Chad Coleman.. I think that's it.

FWIW.. I'm related, by marriage, to Don Duckworth who ran the 1955 Southern 500 and had a horrendous crash that left him in a coma. Never met the man. He married a cousin on my fathers side.

Yes, Chad Coleman. Shane Hall was one of the drivers driver for Stegall Motorsports (Stegall Mobile Homes from years past). That shop in Fountain Inn, Sunshine Auto Repair now. I work very, very close to that place. Shane is still around, but what I can recall is if Chad drove before or after Shane, but Shane drove for Stegall in Busch, Coleman in ARCA.

Another guy who died was a Laughlin, cant recall his first name, but his Dad owned(s) the place in Simpsonville that use to build chassis for at least half of the cars in Nascar. I dont recall if he was driving ARCA or Busch at the time.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Yes, Chad Coleman. Shane Hall was one of the drivers driver for Stegall Motorsports (Stegall Mobile Homes from years past). That shop in Fountain Inn, Sunshine Auto Repair now. I work very, very close to that place. Shane is still around, but what I can recall is if Chad drove before or after Shane.

Another guy who died was a Laughlin, cant recall his first name, but his Dad owned(s) the place in Simpsonville that use to build chassis for at least half of the cars in Nascar. I dont recall if he was driving ARCA or Busch at the time.

Mike Laughlin? (Not "Magic Shoes" Mike McLaughlin) I remember him running races, don't recall hearing he died.. Of course, the Chad Coleman death passed me by for a few years, so..

Old 04-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Mike Laughlin? (Not "Magic Shoes" Mike McLaughlin) I remember him running races, don't recall hearing he died.. Of course, the Chad Coleman death passed me by for a few years, so..
No, not Mike. Maybe it was Mikes son. I really dont recall other than it was one of them that died during a race.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:

must be nice to have a race driver in your family tree, i only have a couple of presidents.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
must be nice to have a race driver in your family tree, i only have a couple of presidents.

Poor guy was basically snakebit. He had that bad crash at Darlington, which was his only start. Left him in a coma for a week. He was never the same after that. Family i've talked to said he changed after it. Which.. Yeah.. Can kinda understand.

He died in 1970 in.. A car accident. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/48838850/

Old 04-16-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Poor guy was basically snakebit. He had that bad crash at Darlington, which was his only start. Left him in a coma for a week. He was never the same after that. Family i've talked to said he changed after it. Which.. Yeah.. Can kinda understand.

He died in 1970 in.. A car accident. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/48838850/
We had quite a few Duckworths live over in my community. May have been related.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:57 PM

So, there's rumors of Darlington being the first race back. Not Labor Day, but before Memorial Day.

That.. Doesn't seem to make sense. The reasoning is that it's a close to home track. It'd be run without fans.. And.. Since Darlington is one of the smaller drawing tracks.. From that standpoint, it kinda makes sense.

Just.. Seems weird to take the Labor day date. Unless they need that date to fill in missed races and that's the only time they can get it in.

Texas seems.. Upset at the prospect. Because that would generally be their date that would go to Darlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing