U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2020, 04:33 PM

12,929 posts, read 10,377,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
NASCAR is planning to convert the 2 mile speedway in California to a hybrid mix of Martinsville with long straightaways and Bristol's high banks.

By reconfiguring the track - the footprint of Auto Club will be reduced and allow some of the land to be used for other purposes.

The plan is called "Next Gen in California".

While I'm all for short tracks, with only 3 currently in the NASCAR series, I wonder if this is not also partly due to the lack of attendance at Auto Club? When built it had a capacity of 122,000. It was downsized to 68,000 seats and the in the past years only about half of those were filled. The racing in the last decade just wasn't worth watching.

In the first decade of Auto Club, the racing there was really good. Gordon, Kurt Busch, Rusty Wallace. Elliot Sadler's win over Kasey Kahne and Mark Martin in 2004. Even Jeremy Mayfield won there!

Let's not forget Auto Club is the home that built 7-time champ Jimmy Johnson. JJ had his first Cup win there in 2002. Kyle Busch also had his first win at Fontana.

The racing became blah in the past decade or so. We can't fault the track, but we can fault the cars. The newer COT and Gen 6 cars just didn't like Fontana. Being so aerodynamically dependent didn't make good side by side racing or allow much passing.

Maybe a short track will breath new life into Auto Club.

https://theathletic.com/2046728/2020...e-short-track/

It's not april 1st.. What the hell?

Ok.. So, remember that Auto Club was originally a Penske track. Which is why it's basically a carbon copy of another Penske track (at the time), Michigan.

Personally.. I would rather have seen them reconfigure it to a road course. Now, with Sonoma 'nearby', that could be a consideration.. But what Charlotte has done with the roval should be a blueprint for others. This would give some callbacks to Riverside.

I would also think a road course would open it up to more forms of racing.

But.. All in all.. I think I'd probably rather see it just razed and replaced on the schedule with Iowa. Though, that track is seemingly having some issues now and may or may not survive. That's a wonderful facility and is.. Very similar to Richmond, but not a carbon copy of it.

Can you imagine if they had actually built the Staten Island track?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 05:25 PM

3,704 posts, read 4,802,776 times
I would love to see another road course and for the record I am not a fan of the roval.

NASCAR has a habit of chewing up and spitting out tracks. NASCAR’s continued reorganization and consolidation of tracks is counter productive to growing the sport.

I know they have had to adapt this year due to Covid-19 but they need to get their act together and plan for a future with a smaller schedule and a much more diverse variety of tracks to race on.

The link below shows a few ancient NASCAR track of days gone by:

https://www.hotcars.com/15-abandoned...r-race-tracks/

Old 09-08-2020, 05:30 PM

7,722 posts, read 12,386,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I would love to see another road course and for the record I am not a fan of the roval.

NASCAR has a habit of chewing up and spitting out tracks. NASCAR’s continued reorganization and consolidation of tracks is counter productive to growing the sport.

I know they have had to adapt this year due to Covid-19 but they need to get their act together and plan for a future with a smaller schedule and a much more diverse variety of tracks to race on.

The link below shows a few ancient NASCAR track of days gone by:

https://www.hotcars.com/15-abandoned...r-race-tracks/
I'm with you on this. They've been living large off TV money that's about to dry up due to falling ratings and attendance. NASCAR needs to cut the schedule down significantly. There really shouldn't be more than 24 points-paying events on the schedule. Nearly all of the tracks that they go to twice should be cut down to one race, and a handful of tracks (Indy, California, Homestead, Kentucky, Chicagoland, and possibly New Hampshire) should be dropped from the schedule completely.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:01 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,802,776 times
Rather than reinvent another track why not utilize Irwindale, especially if they say there is so much popularity in short tracks?

I am not an economics guy, but it amazes me that entity’s like NASCAR and Harley Davidson could not forecast that their largest demographics (Boomers) were shrinking and fading away. It is not always the economy it’s the need to rebrand to capture the next generation of fans and purchasers.

The link below has not been updated. I believe seating capacity has been expanded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irwindale_Event_Center

Last edited by JBtwinz; 09-09-2020 at 03:16 AM..

Old 09-09-2020, 07:00 AM

7,003 posts, read 7,736,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Rather than reinvent another track why not utilize Irwindale, especially if they say there is so much popularity in short tracks?

I am not an economics guy, but it amazes me that entity’s like NASCAR and Harley Davidson could not forecast that their largest demographics (Boomers) were shrinking and fading away. It is not always the economy it’s the need to rebrand to capture the next generation of fans and purchasers.

The link below has not been updated. I believe seating capacity has been expanded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irwindale_Event_Center
I think NASCAR still believes it can pull in the SoCal crowd into the fan base. I just don't see it, even the NFL struggles to fill stadiums. Just too much to do in Cali than sit for 4-5 hours at a track.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:29 PM

4,417 posts, read 3,788,426 times
Johnson going Indy racing.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I think NASCAR still believes it can pull in the SoCal crowd into the fan base. I just don't see it, even the NFL struggles to fill stadiums. Just too much to do in Cali than sit for 4-5 hours at a track.

Seems to me after reading more, they're trying to do a Bristol West.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Johnson going Indy racing.
JJ signed with Chip Ganassi to race at least 12 events per year. The team is still looking for a major sponsor and JJ would like it to be Lowe's or Ally to keep things consistent.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Seems to me after reading more, they're trying to do a Bristol West.
You can find a drawing here. It does look more like Bristol, except not surrounded by seating.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:55 PM

Wallace leaving the 43.. Assumption he's going to the 42, but apparently there was previously an offer for the 48 as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing