U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2020, 07:41 AM

4,037 posts, read 3,225,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
True.. And I tend to forget that Geoff Bodine WAS a pretty good driver. Seeing him driving his own stuff.. Yeah, he won a race in it, but.. He never did very well in the 7 car.

But.. I will point out that there's really not that big a difference. Ok, so, maybe we put the 7 car up there. but, Irvan, all we did was move Jarrett from the 18 to the 28.. So, the names changed, the cars stayed the same.

Bobby became a threat to win and a winner.. but the 18 car was considered a threat to win prior to him coming there. Jarrett was a threat to win prior to moving to the 28. Rudd was a threat to win before moving to the 10 back in 94. I mean, I suppose TECHNICALLY we could include Bill Elliott.. Because he hadn't had the wheels fall off his own team by this point. He won in 94, I believe.

Ward won this year. I can't remember if it was before or after this race.. Must have been after, because he won in the 22 and he drove the 31 in the 600. But, I certainly wouldn't have considered him a threat to win. Jeff Burton, the next year, would become a threat.. With the new 99. Just as another Yates car, the 88, would become a threat.

The only team that you could argue 'grew' to be a threat would be the Wood Brothers. And.. That didn't happen until here a few years ago, really. They won with Sadler in '01, I believe it was and then '11 with Bayne. But it's only been the last few years that they've been any kind of threat.

But, even adding those in.. You've only got 15 cars that could be considered to have a shot.
His best year in his own car was the year Hoosier was in Nascar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 01:26 PM

11,843 posts, read 9,234,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
His best year in his own car was the year Hoosier was in Nascar.

Oh, and we can have a go-round about that, too. But, you are quite correct. What I don't remember.. Did he win a race that year NOT on Hoosiers? I think he actually did. Obviously the 96 win at the Glen (IIRC) was on GoodYears.. but 94 was so crazy. Some races Hoosier pulled out, some races they were banned I think.. At least one race Goodyear pulled out of.. Thinking it was the Coke 600.

I'm sure the tires played a part. But.. Remember also he was driving alot of AK equipment at that time.. And, overall.. He had a good year, no pun intended..

Old 10-25-2020, 08:46 AM

3,427 posts, read 4,448,952 times
Quote:
True.. And I tend to forget that Geoff Bodine WAS a pretty good driver. Seeing him driving his own stuff.. Yeah, he won a race in it, but.. He never did very well in the 7 car.

But.. I will point out that there's really not that big a difference. Ok, so, maybe we put the 7 car up there. but, Irvan, all we did was move Jarrett from the 18 to the 28.. So, the names changed, the cars stayed the same.

Bobby became a threat to win and a winner.. but the 18 car was considered a threat to win prior to him coming there. Jarrett was a threat to win prior to moving to the 28. Rudd was a threat to win before moving to the 10 back in 94. I mean, I suppose TECHNICALLY we could include Bill Elliott.. Because he hadn't had the wheels fall off his own team by this point. He won in 94, I believe.

Ward won this year. I can't remember if it was before or after this race.. Must have been after, because he won in the 22 and he drove the 31 in the 600. But, I certainly wouldn't have considered him a threat to win. Jeff Burton, the next year, would become a threat.. With the new 99. Just as another Yates car, the 88, would become a threat.

The only team that you could argue 'grew' to be a threat would be the Wood Brothers. And.. That didn't happen until here a few years ago, really. They won with Sadler in '01, I believe it was and then '11 with Bayne. But it's only been the last few years that they've been any kind of threat.

But, even adding those in.. You've only got 15 cars that could be considered to have a shot.
Really great thoughts and I would hope someone in NASCAR is looking forward with some of the same insight we have discussed here. NASCAR should be putting focus and survey groups together yesterday.

Technology and innovation along with the rapidly changing views of consumers and sports fans can no longer be disregarded. Social media, cable, the internet and streaming have brought about drastic changes in all aspects of media.

I always think about the analogy of Blockbuster Video, was there not one individual on their board of directors who saw Netflix and said Houston we have a problem? Hello NASCAR, you have a problem!

Old 10-25-2020, 11:24 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,619,802 times
I'm 60. I'm not the NASCAR demographic as they go forward. I'm the past and I know it.

In the past, Bubba's Tire Shop didn't care if their driver got in a little dust up. Today's multi million dollar sponsors are almost all huge corporations. They want front men (Women?) who will represent their corporate interests.

FWIW, I think NASCAR is finally swinging hard toward a much younger demographic.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:36 PM

11,843 posts, read 9,234,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I'm 60. I'm not the NASCAR demographic as they go forward. I'm the past and I know it.

In the past, Bubba's Tire Shop didn't care if their driver got in a little dust up. Today's multi million dollar sponsors are almost all huge corporations. They want front men (Women?) who will represent their corporate interests.

FWIW, I think NASCAR is finally swinging hard toward a much younger demographic.

Well, define 'dust up'

I think even Goodwrench would have had a problem if Earnhardt had been caught on tape saying "Kill all N*****s"..

M&M's/Mars had a problem with Kyle Busch back when he intentionally wrecked Hornaday and got parked.. But remember that Interstate Batteries stepped up and sponsored those last 2 races that M&M's refused to.

I do think that Miller Lite probably forced the change of Kurt Busch from the 2 to the 22.

I seem to recall Home Depot fining Tony Stewart back in '02 or so.

But, sponsors forcing a driver change/firing or leaving due to driver behavior is still REALLY rare.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:05 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,619,802 times
Quote:
Well, define 'dust up'

I think even Goodwrench would have had a problem if Earnhardt had been caught on tape saying "Kill all N*****s"..

M&M's/Mars had a problem with Kyle Busch back when he intentionally wrecked Hornaday and got parked.. But remember that Interstate Batteries stepped up and sponsored those last 2 races that M&M's refused to.

I do think that Miller Lite probably forced the change of Kurt Busch from the 2 to the 22.

I seem to recall Home Depot fining Tony Stewart back in '02 or so.

But, sponsors forcing a driver change/firing or leaving due to driver behavior is still REALLY rare.
Bubba's Tire Service ain't Goodwrench. I was more in reference to further back than that. Say David Pearson's 67 Holman Moody car that was sponsored by a single Ford Dealership in NC. But DE could say and do darn near anything, short of what you suggested.

Other than that, you're just reinforcing my point. Big name corporations don't tolerate the shenanigans that happened in the early days. When cars became big advertisement, the world of racing changed,

Old 10-26-2020, 06:45 AM

4,037 posts, read 3,225,975 times
Quote:
Oh, and we can have a go-round about that, too. But, you are quite correct. What I don't remember.. Did he win a race that year NOT on Hoosiers? I think he actually did. Obviously the 96 win at the Glen (IIRC) was on GoodYears.. but 94 was so crazy. Some races Hoosier pulled out, some races they were banned I think.. At least one race Goodyear pulled out of.. Thinking it was the Coke 600.

I'm sure the tires played a part. But.. Remember also he was driving alot of AK equipment at that time.. And, overall.. He had a good year, no pun intended..
I really dont know, and I dont remember if any one else won on Hoosiers that year, but I have to assume they did. Seems like it wasnt so much the wins on Hoosiers, but the top 10s that year, maybe the top 5s those on Hoosiers had vs Goodyears. Rumor was GY threatened to pull all sponsorship if Hoosier came back the next year. I dont remember either company pulling from a race, but I could see where Hoosier may sine they may have not tested there or something like that.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:40 AM

6,529 posts, read 7,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

NASCAR will have to totally redesign itself if they want to reach the younger demographics. Most young people are not as interested in sports as we were at their ages. They have so much more to keep them occupied. Plus young people are not into tinkering with cars like our generation was. I don't know a single young person under the age of 25 who watches NASCAR regularly. Got plenty of friends over 50 that do.

Lastly, a good number of young people lean green. Not sure if fossil fuel hungry 750 HP V8's do much for them (even if they use ethanol).

Old 10-27-2020, 08:18 AM

3,427 posts, read 4,448,952 times
I also just turned sixty and as mentioned in one of my posts before, for the last 31 years I have been working in a manufacturing and repair facility here in the south. With the passing of each of those 31 years I have been getting older while the apprentices we bring on board remain between 18-24 years old.

Their likes and interests have transitioned tremendously, while in the nineties, NASCAR, MLB, NFL and college football caught their attention. As of last year college football was their last interest as far as sports but that has declined tremendously with Covid-19 this year.

Four wheel drive trucks, side by sides and four wheelers take the interest of most of them followed by a very small group interested in drifting. The remainder don’t have many interests other than video gaming and Marvel movies.

90% have virtually zero mechanical ability when they are hired and it is difficult to break them of the habit of reaching for crescent wrenches for assembly and disassembly.

We have beaten this subject dead....NASCAR is dying a slow death, the decline of sponsorships, the death and abandonment of NASCARs once premier tracks and what is most like the increasingly large financial overhead NASCAR is dealing with is leading it into oblivion.

In a tongue and cheek comparison Harley Davidson is also slowly losing its core demographics of baby boomers as they transition to tricked out golf carts and walkers:. Neither had the foresight even with the realization of diminished interests in their products.

On a side note it was a great time to be able to witness the explosion of NASCAR during the Dale and Jeff years. NASCAR was on fire! Everyone was wearing NASCAR gear at work and that was all the talk on Fridays and Mondays!

Old 10-27-2020, 09:35 AM

8,786 posts, read 9,592,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
NASCAR will have to totally redesign itself if they want to reach the younger demographics. Most young people are not as interested in sports as we were at their ages. They have so much more to keep them occupied. Plus young people are not into tinkering with cars like our generation was. I don't know a single young person under the age of 25 who watches NASCAR regularly. Got plenty of friends over 50 that do.

Lastly, a good number of young people lean green. Not sure if fossil fuel hungry 750 HP V8's do much for them (even if they use ethanol).
Yes look for NASCAR to transition to all electric cars, where the kids can post messages electronically on the sides of the car during the race with their cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing