U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 12:07 PM

3,571 posts, read 4,622,048 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon a 'still in the box' open wheel Formula Kit Car from the early 1960's. My wife thinks it will be a great retirement project for me to build this up to usable condition for SCCA vintage racing. Well, her idea is for me to build it and sell it. My twist on her idea is to use the car for Vintage Racing.

Any vintage racing fans/participants here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 07:58 AM

33,415 posts, read 30,154,459 times
i love SCCA racing of any kind, vintage or not. i wish they would televise those races, especially the SCCA runoffs at the end of the season.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,855,878 times
They do televise them - just at odd times and odd channels (and only in snippets).

Drives me nuts watching some of the "smaller" events - BTCC, GTCC, Australian Supercars, Formula 3, Formula E, European Rallycross, etc etc - they show a lot of talking heads, snippets of previous races and then very abbreviated coverage of the actual race, pretty much just the start, highlights of crashes and MAYBE a pass and then the end. The general idea is, I suppose, they only have an hour slot (minus commercials), so it has to be a condensed version, but it doesn't make me want to follow the entire series, it's not really engaging in any way.

And, hey, I watch F1, which is pretty much a parade, for the cars, drivers, teams including the "best of the rest" and the backmarkers.

I drove a late 80's Reynard in autocross for a bit (although mostly a Formula Vee). Great fun, an excellent tool in learning to instantly deal with oversteer, especially on throttle on....
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 01-23-2020, 10:53 AM

65,453 posts, read 46,801,441 times
Definitely a fan of vintage racing. I wish they'd televise the complete biennial Monaco Vintage race. In the clips I've seen they're hustling virtually priceless vintage race cars between the Armco at far higher than parade-lap speeds.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:17 PM

33,415 posts, read 30,154,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
They do televise them - just at odd times and odd channels (and only in snippets).

Drives me nuts watching some of the "smaller" events - BTCC, GTCC, Australian Supercars, Formula 3, Formula E, European Rallycross, etc etc - they show a lot of talking heads, snippets of previous races and then very abbreviated coverage of the actual race, pretty much just the start, highlights of crashes and MAYBE a pass and then the end. The general idea is, I suppose, they only have an hour slot (minus commercials), so it has to be a condensed version, but it doesn't make me want to follow the entire series, it's not really engaging in any way.

And, hey, I watch F1, which is pretty much a parade, for the cars, drivers, teams including the "best of the rest" and the backmarkers.

I drove a late 80's Reynard in autocross for a bit (although mostly a Formula Vee). Great fun, an excellent tool in learning to instantly deal with oversteer, especially on throttle on....

i havent seen any listings in the past few years. in fact since fox bought the speed channel, i havent seen any listings for the runoffs.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:25 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,855,878 times
I think Nationals were only available livecast on SCCA.com, but there are several SCCA Runoffs races on CBS Sports. They are never on the "major" channels, but on secondary (or tertiary) channels and outliers like MAVTV (which is where I watch international Rallycross occasionally, when my DVR remembers to pick it up).

Look at the trouble Indycar had, getting back to being run live on major channels, though - auto racing is definitely fading in popularity.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 02-19-2020, 03:31 PM

65,453 posts, read 46,801,441 times
Don't know if they still do it but years ago I went to a combined vintage motorcycle/car weekend at the Loudon NH track. Good stuff!

Old 02-22-2020, 09:56 PM

12,294 posts, read 12,015,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

Just a few years ago I watched the Australian V8 Supercars often -- now I never see them on television.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:16 AM

3,749 posts, read 3,100,514 times
Enjoy vintage Trans Am, but unfortunately its rarely on TV and there are no races anywhere near me. Fortunately, the Pikes Peak Hillclimb does have a vintage class that draws a small contingent from around the globe.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:41 PM

3,571 posts, read 4,622,048 times
Default This is what I will be building up

Sold as a kit for a three year period in the mid-1960's. Powered by the 3-cylinder 2-stroke engine SAAB used at the time. I would like to replace the engine with the later V4 with cross-flow intake manifolds used in SAAB's Rally Racers. See below.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing