U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2020, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Upstate
6,525 posts, read 7,316,352 times
Reputation: 5292

Advertisements

“Kyle Larson will be back in NASCAR,”. “He’s too good. He puts race cars in places that others can’t, and everyone knows that. He’ll take the sensitivity training and then NASCAR will say: ‘He’s healed!’ There’s just one thing, though: He’s going to have to find a sponsor.” - Humpy Wheeler

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/04/18/kyle...would-pay-him/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2020, 12:23 PM
 
11,836 posts, read 9,222,792 times
Reputation: 15257
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
“Kyle Larson will be back in NASCAR,”. “He’s too good. He puts race cars in places that others can’t, and everyone knows that. He’ll take the sensitivity training and then NASCAR will say: ‘He’s healed!’ There’s just one thing, though: He’s going to have to find a sponsor.” - Humpy Wheeler

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/04/18/kyle...would-pay-him/

Yeah, well.. If you don't have a sponsor, you don't have a ride.

The 'landing spots' are down to 1.. I mean, a few years back, you had Furniture Row, James Finch.. Owners like that who really didn't have large corporate backing and could throw him in the car, get him some exposure and give him a chance to prove himself.

Those are all gone, save for Gene Haas. Even the low-end teams..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2020, 03:50 PM
 
8,786 posts, read 9,590,550 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, well.. If you don't have a sponsor, you don't have a ride.

The 'landing spots' are down to 1.. I mean, a few years back, you had Furniture Row, James Finch.. Owners like that who really didn't have large corporate backing and could throw him in the car, get him some exposure and give him a chance to prove himself.

Those are all gone, save for Gene Haas. Even the low-end teams..
Sponsers have all the control.... they are the reason Matt Kenseth can come back at 48 years old and take a top tier seat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2020, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Upstate
6,525 posts, read 7,316,352 times
Reputation: 5292
Sponsors also want to see their product on TV. Which is by leading or in the top ten. Now with races going fanless at the track and TV cameras just following the leaders, there will be even less eyeballs on the cars mid pack and back.

Does anyone think that Kenseth (great guy) is going to be very competitive? Other than the pre-race of the first race back when they interview Matt, you won't see him or his sponsor unless he is caught up in a crash.

So, yes, after a waiting period and Kyle takes all the right steps, a sponsor will take a chance on him and more will follow as he becomes the star he was supposed to be. Maybe 2021. People have short memories and I bet there are a great deal of fans who have no idea what Kyle did until they see he is not at the track next Sunday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2020, 12:49 PM
 
8,786 posts, read 9,590,550 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Sponsors also want to see their product on TV. Which is by leading or in the top ten. Now with races going fanless at the track and TV cameras just following the leaders, there will be even less eyeballs on the cars mid pack and back.

Does anyone think that Kenseth (great guy) is going to be very competitive? Other than the pre-race of the first race back when they interview Matt, you won't see him or his sponsor unless he is caught up in a crash.

So, yes, after a waiting period and Kyle takes all the right steps, a sponsor will take a chance on him and more will follow as he becomes the star he was supposed to be. Maybe 2021. People have short memories and I bet there are a great deal of fans who have no idea what Kyle did until they see he is not at the track next Sunday.
You may be right... however I don't see any reason why Matt wont be every bit as competitive as Kyle was in that car or perhaps more. Yes he is older, yes his last stint with Roush was not good but I believe that had more to do with Roush equipment than Matt. I believe Matt was running as good or better than Jones who replaced him in the 20. Maybe there will be some magic with Kenseth and Bush together in good equipment. I hope so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2020, 12:50 PM
 
8,786 posts, read 9,590,550 times
Reputation: 2505
Larson is back with world of outlaws... it might be a few years before he makes it back to NASCAR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2020, 12:54 PM
 
11,836 posts, read 9,222,792 times
Reputation: 15257
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Does anyone think that Kenseth (great guy) is going to be very competitive? Other than the pre-race of the first race back when they interview Matt, you won't see him or his sponsor unless he is caught up in a crash.

He wasn't all that competitive in the 6 car a couple of years ago.. But I think there's a pretty big difference in the quality of the 6 and 42 cars.

Do I expect him to come out and win 7 races? Absolutely not. Will I be surprised if he wins a race? Absolutely not. Will i be surprised if he doesn't win a race? Absolutely not.. He is damn near 50 after all, and hasn't run competitively in.. 2-3 years, pending on your point of view.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2020, 09:32 PM
 
Location: South of Cakalaki
4,289 posts, read 2,616,394 times
Reputation: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
So, yes, after a waiting period and Kyle takes all the right steps, a sponsor will take a chance on him and more will follow as he becomes the star he was supposed to be. Maybe 2021. People have short memories and I bet there are a great deal of fans who have no idea what Kyle did until they see he is not at the track next Sunday.

Are you aware of the "cancel culture"? Larson has a immense obstacle to overcome. The very thought of him getting sponsorship will lead the social media blowing up at what ever company takes a chance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Upstate
6,525 posts, read 7,316,352 times
Reputation: 5292
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Are you aware of the "cancel culture"? Larson has a immense obstacle to overcome. The very thought of him getting sponsorship will lead the social media blowing up at what ever company takes a chance.
Very aware, don't agree with it, but I'm not a corporate sponsor. NASCAR drivers are the "faces" of sponsors so they have to tread very carefully as compared to maybe a QB in the NFL. I still believe that most American's want to forgive and if Kyle can do the right things he may be able to redeem himself.

Well see...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2020, 09:31 AM
 
8,786 posts, read 9,590,550 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Are you aware of the "cancel culture"? Larson has a immense obstacle to overcome. The very thought of him getting sponsorship will lead the social media blowing up at what ever company takes a chance.
Gene Haas can sponsor him himself and tell everyone else to go pound sand. Already being reported Tony wants him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top