Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 11:20 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
CGR is.. let's be honest.. An upper mid pack team. They might jump up and win one race a year or so.. That's their sky at the moment.

Larson did elevate that program. As did Kurt Busch. Credit where it's due.

But, they're just not a top tier program. Hendrick is. Even though they had a few down years, they seem to be back on the upswing. Now.. You never know. Joey Logano won 2 races (one a rain shortened) in his 5 years at Gibbs. In the 20 car, which was vacated by Stewart.

Suddenly, he goes to Penske and in 8 years has 24 wins.

You never know how things will mesh together. Look at Kahne.. He couldn't really do much at Hendrick... Martin had an incredible first year then 2 rather blah years.
Indeed! Dont forget Truex ! Who ever saw that coming?! Almirola in the 10. I dont think the timing could be better... Chase winning the Championship as Jimmie is exiting , as I said above Bowman has been very solid and consistent, Byron? We'll see his first year without Knaus. I think there is a lot to be said for a guy that gets a new lease on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 06:46 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
The only way this will get worse for Larson is if the MSM picks it up or some sore loser fan on Twitter makes a big deal about it.

Most fans knew that the sponsors of the 5 car were already with HMS. It's a start in the right direction though. Many were saying he would only have Hendrick Cars as a sponsor.

And if Kyle makes it to the final four 8 months from now, we will see how DIVIDED this country still is. (Twitter fans were calling Tom Brady a racist for winning the SB).

And BTW, I wish the best for Bubba Wallace and his new team. We all have to move on for the sake of this nation!

Old 02-11-2021, 08:34 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The only way this will get worse for Larson is if the MSM picks it up or some sore loser fan on Twitter makes a big deal about it.

Most fans knew that the sponsors of the 5 car were already with HMS. It's a start in the right direction though. Many were saying he would only have Hendrick Cars as a sponsor.

And if Kyle makes it to the final four 8 months from now, we will see how DIVIDED this country still is. (Twitter fans were calling Tom Brady a racist for winning the SB).

And BTW, I wish the best for Bubba Wallace and his new team. We all have to move on for the sake of this nation!

I don't think anything comes up.. Now, if he gets.. Dollar General as a sponsor.. There might be some folks speaking out. But outside of that.. And unless that were this year..

So long as he doesn't say anything else. I mean, he does it again.. Whooo.. Fork. Done. Once you can recover from. Kinda a long, hard road, but it can be done. Twice? Nope, nope, nope.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I don't think anything comes up.. Now, if he gets.. Dollar General as a sponsor.. There might be some folks speaking out. But outside of that.. And unless that were this year..

So long as he doesn't say anything else. I mean, he does it again.. Whooo.. Fork. Done. Once you can recover from. Kinda a long, hard road, but it can be done. Twice? Nope, nope, nope.
Why would he ?

Old 02-11-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Totally agree!

Old 02-11-2021, 03:10 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:

I noted Jeff Gordon yesterday during qualifying mentioned Larson getting a second chance. I paraphrase, but something like: I know people get second chances, but wow.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Why would he ?

Why would he do it the first time?

The answer to that is the argument that many people make when someone uses a slur like that and then apologizes and, basically, the apology isn't accepted.

That word is in their vocabulary. They used it more than just the one time they got caught. If the word is in your vocabulary.. Then.. Sometimes it might slip out.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
well , i definately agree he will probably never get a mcdonalds , coca cola etc.. Deal, and right , wrong or indifferent that is largely due to the state of large corporations today... I guess at the end of the day , i just dont see it as (for lack of a better term) that big of a lasting issue. I mean we're not talking about being arrested for beating his wife or some other heinous crime... He said a word ! A word that a lot of people use. Having said that , i understand in todays culture, the nature of corporate sponsers and all the rest, but i dont see any real threat of some kind of significant boycott (not that they work anyhow) unless drummed up by those in nascar itself. I get what you are saying, and do agree corps might shy away not necessarily because of threat of boycott, but just to show their woke bona fides. I also believe we will here the same sentimate from drivers , owners etc... Like tony stewart, harvick and that will go along way to putting the whole thing to rest. I will go on record right here on this post, with my prediction. he runs very well this season, well enough to compete deep in the chase. the broadcasters will have their obligatory comments ad-nauseum about his indiscretion and sitting out most of last season. larson will be gracious, humble and handle it all with class and before the end of the season hendrick will have lined up full sponsership for him moving forward... Consumer based or not he will be back!
and there it is!!

Old 03-08-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
and there it is!!

I'm surprised only at the speed that it happened. 4 races in. Driver new to the team, new crew chief.. It's astounding he won that quickly. And, let's be honest.. He was a threat at the road course as well. Save a pretty boneheaded move, he likely wins that as well. Of course.. Remember that Kyle Busch won in his 4th race, I believe it was when he moved to Gibbs.. That being said.. He was with an established team like Larson.

Wallace... You know.. He is a good driver. But he's hitting the learning curve that I kinda thought Larson would have some issues with as well. Of course, Larson's with an established team. 23XI.. When you have oil leaks.. Someone didn't do their job right. I wasn't even paying attention.. Where was Wallace running when he pitted for the repairs?

I don't think anyone doubted Larson's skill. It was always just a matter of how quickly he'd mesh with the team and whether or not all the mess would be a distraction.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:34 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Bubba was top 20 when he had the leak. Coming from 4 laps down to finish 28 wasn’t horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing