Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 07:59 AM

5,619 posts, read 5,760,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No sponsors announced. That's also quite telling.

I think it's not any kind of stretch that Ally said no, which is why Bowman was moved.

The 5 car coming back.. I doubt very much Junior was consulted or asked anything about that. I think that's something Rick has wanted to do for quite some time. Honestly, the 5 and the 25 are really the "OG" numbers for Hendrick. The 24 and 48 came along later, and have had far more success. But, the 5 was his first car, and won a championship with Terry.. And the 25.. While Schrader won a couple of times in it.. That number, for me at least, will always be associated with Tim Richmond.

I suppose that Rick is going to sponsor the car himself if he's unable to land any outside sponsors. I honestly didn't think he'd commit to that. But, maybe, just maybe, he has a few lined up. Time shall tell.
I would have to go back and find it, but one of Bowmans sponsors this year was owned by an African American and Kyle has had commnications with the guy during his sensitivity training.

BTW, had anybody watched more than one of his recent interviews? They all seem scripted to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 10:33 AM

9,872 posts, read 10,774,607 times
Quote:
No sponsors announced. That's also quite telling.

I think it's not any kind of stretch that Ally said no, which is why Bowman was moved.

The 5 car coming back.. I doubt very much Junior was consulted or asked anything about that. I think that's something Rick has wanted to do for quite some time. Honestly, the 5 and the 25 are really the "OG" numbers for Hendrick. The 24 and 48 came along later, and have had far more success. But, the 5 was his first car, and won a championship with Terry.. And the 25.. While Schrader won a couple of times in it.. That number, for me at least, will always be associated with Tim Richmond.

I suppose that Rick is going to sponsor the car himself if he's unable to land any outside sponsors. I honestly didn't think he'd commit to that. But, maybe, just maybe, he has a few lined up. Time shall tell.
I personally dont see the sponser part being a big deal, especiallly for Hendrick, who knows what Hendrick has in mind, like you say maybe he just figures he will sponser at first till others come on board. Larson has done the dance, hugged the cactus so time to move on. I would bet they will have a sponser lined up before the season starts.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:10 AM

17,385 posts, read 14,938,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I personally dont see the sponser part being a big deal, especiallly for Hendrick, who knows what Hendrick has in mind, like you say maybe he just figures he will sponser at first till others come on board. Larson has done the dance, hugged the cactus so time to move on. I would bet they will have a sponser lined up before the season starts.

I don't disagree with you at all.

However, if I had a multi-million dollar company and was looking for places to spend my advertising budget..

If I had a choice between a 'vanilla' driver and one who has a cloud of controversy hanging over his head that could lead to protests and boycotts against my company.. Not a hard decision.

He certainly deserves another chance. And, Rick isn't a dummy.. He knows he may be running the team 100% out of pocket next year. I didn't particularly think he'd commit to that, but.. I thought it'd be another year before someone would bring him back.. But, this is the style situation that we discussed, like putting him in the Haas 41 that made it possible this year.

I think the idea is.. Rick sponsors the car mostly himself.. Hopefully the results are there, companies see that there's no ruckus being raised and later next year and into 2022... Some legit sponsors come on board. There's no question the talent is there. And I've never thought that Larson said what he did from a place of hate.. The problem is, at least so far as his initial firing.. That didn't matter at all. I think it does make a big difference so far as his return.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:17 PM

5,685 posts, read 4,591,670 times
You'd think Hendrick would be loaded and able to afford pretty much anything. But if, and it's a big if, the cost is really upwards of $35 mil for primary sponsorship for a year, then that's some serious coin.

In this zero sum world we live in today, a 4th round pick in the NHL had his rights released for extreme bullying of a kid when he was in 8th grade.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You'd think Hendrick would be loaded and able to afford pretty much anything. But if, and it's a big if, the cost is really upwards of $35 mil for primary sponsorship for a year, then that's some serious coin.

In this zero sum world we live in today, a 4th round pick in the NHL had his rights released for extreme bullying of a kid when he was in 8th grade.
Well thats understandable... Hockey is no place for bullies.
Such is the times we live in , a nation of hypersensitive p*ssies.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with you at all.

However, if I had a multi-million dollar company and was looking for places to spend my advertising budget..

If I had a choice between a 'vanilla' driver and one who has a cloud of controversy hanging over his head that could lead to protests and boycotts against my company.. Not a hard decision.

He certainly deserves another chance. And, Rick isn't a dummy.. He knows he may be running the team 100% out of pocket next year. I didn't particularly think he'd commit to that, but.. I thought it'd be another year before someone would bring him back.. But, this is the style situation that we discussed, like putting him in the Haas 41 that made it possible this year.

I think the idea is.. Rick sponsors the car mostly himself.. Hopefully the results are there, companies see that there's no ruckus being raised and later next year and into 2022... Some legit sponsors come on board. There's no question the talent is there. And I've never thought that Larson said what he did from a place of hate.. The problem is, at least so far as his initial firing.. That didn't matter at all. I think it does make a big difference so far as his return.
I suppose you are right, It would probably have to be the right company with a black ceo or some scenario like that to neutralize any backlash or visits from Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. Too bad . I agree . I dont think Larson is any sort of racist. The dreaded N word gets thrown out there by others constantly, I guess if it isnt in the context of a rap song it is offensive.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I suppose you are right, It would probably have to be the right company with a black ceo or some scenario like that to neutralize any backlash or visits from Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. Too bad . I agree . I dont think Larson is any sort of racist. The dreaded N word gets thrown out there by others constantly, I guess if it isnt in the context of a rap song it is offensive.

And that last part there.. That's what got Kyle into trouble in the first place, I think.

It is.. Odd.. How it's considered acceptable for it to be used there but is a career killer to be used by other people or at other times.

Old 11-05-2020, 11:34 AM

9,362 posts, read 9,662,180 times
Quote:

If I was a corporate CEO, I would take a chance with Larson. There is not going to be protests and boycotts against him. People's memories are short. Now if the media tries to keep it on the front burner for ratings, then that's on them. Buy Kyle has shown that he is sorry. He has done everything to prove that he is more understanding now.

Plus there's a good chance you will see your sponsored car battling for first place more often or in the winners circle more often that you may with a "vanilla" driver.

CEO's just care about bang for their buck. Hendrick will probably let them in the first year at a discount or with some kind of guarantee of return on their investment.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
If I was a corporate CEO, I would take a chance with Larson. There is not going to be protests and boycotts against him. People's memories are short. Now if the media tries to keep it on the front burner for ratings, then that's on them. Buy Kyle has shown that he is sorry. He has done everything to prove that he is more understanding now.

Plus there's a good chance you will see your sponsored car battling for first place more often or in the winners circle more often that you may with a "vanilla" driver.

CEO's just care about bang for their buck. Hendrick will probably let them in the first year at a discount or with some kind of guarantee of return on their investment.

I can see that last part happening. I'm a little more shaky on a big-time major company in that first year.. I'm probably thinking more along the lines of State Water Heaters or Lucas Oil.. That level of sponsor. But.. I won't dismiss the chance of a bigger name doing a one-off.. Especially if they are an associate of Hendrick and he allowed them an "If things blow up we'll say that you had no choice on what car and I'll take the heat"

But.. There is an article out there that says the car is totally unsponsored.

https://beyondtheflag.com/2020/11/03...r-unsponsored/

Old 11-14-2020, 07:06 AM

5,685 posts, read 4,591,670 times
Tony Stewart directly says that Ford would not sign off on Kyle Larson.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/na...t-haas-racing/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing