Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 PM

166 posts, read 138,921 times

Advertisements

I think we can all agree that usually, then end of the race is the most exciting. They are trying to get the lead. I really think NASCAR should consider awarding 1 point for every lap led or a graduated system of points for most laps led that would give points to the top 10 or 15 drivers leading laps. They would need to increase the amount of points for a race win, but overall would make every lap of the race like the last 10 laps of the race. So instead of winning the championship with 8,000 points, they would win with 18,000 points. The number does not matter, but the racing would be exciting beginning to end. And in the end, the sport is about fan entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
What about the guy who ran all race in the top five, only to take the checkers with a pass coming out of turn three? Why should he be punished by getting about maybe 150-200 points less than a guy who led a lot of laps then had an engine failure for a DNF? Wins wouldn't mean much at all in your system. That's not entertaining at all.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,363 times
For me, it would be more fun to watch if the races were a little shorter, less cookie cutter tracks and better fantasy games online to play.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
What about the guy who ran all race in the top five, only to take the checkers with a pass coming out of turn three? Why should he be punished by getting about maybe 150-200 points less than a guy who led a lot of laps then had an engine failure for a DNF? Wins wouldn't mean much at all in your system. That's not entertaining at all.

No, that is not how it would work. I said that the points for a win should be increased dramatically. Maybe 500-1000 points for a win. This way, the driver is rewarded for the win, but another driver is rewarded to a much lesser degree for running hard and maybe having an incident right near the end. There are too many drivers just riding around the back, trying to stay out of trouble. We need 500 laps of Saturday night racing. Every driver busting their butt to get to the front. That WOULD be exciting.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:25 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
So the guy whose car was the class of the field for 499.5 miles gets punished by 500-1000 points for blowing an engine coming out of turn 2? I still don't see how such a dramatic weight for a win is beneficial to anyone. 10 points, maybe. 500-1000 is just way, way too much.

It's been suggested that maybe only the top 20 or so get points. I might be OK with that.

Qualifying points should be issued. The top 35 being locked in every week has nothing at all to do with racing and everything to do with the dollar. That needs to be scrapped. Fastest 43 of those entered get in. Period. In the event of rain on Friday, qualify on Saturday. Qualify two hours before the green flag if necessary. None of this owner point nonsense.

Provisional only for the most recent race winner not to qualify. No one else. Bill Elliott, awesome as he may be, no longer deserves a past champion provisional. It's been 20 years already.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
So the guy whose car was the class of the field for 499.5 miles gets punished by 500-1000 points for blowing an engine coming out of turn 2? I still don't see how such a dramatic weight for a win is beneficial to anyone. 10 points, maybe. 500-1000 is just way, way too much.

It's been suggested that maybe only the top 20 or so get points. I might be OK with that.

Qualifying points should be issued. The top 35 being locked in every week has nothing at all to do with racing and everything to do with the dollar. That needs to be scrapped. Fastest 43 of those entered get in. Period. In the event of rain on Friday, qualify on Saturday. Qualify two hours before the green flag if necessary. None of this owner point nonsense.

Provisional only for the most recent race winner not to qualify. No one else. Bill Elliott, awesome as he may be, no longer deserves a past champion provisional. It's been 20 years already.

Well, the guy was was leading and blows an engine gets penalized now. The points I put out there are just an example. They can be fine tuned to work. Basically, give a big reward for winning and one for running well (more emphasis on winning). It's a shame when a driver races awesome, just to be taken out on the last lap and lose all his points.

I agree with you that qualifying points should be issued. I second the motion. I also understand your point about provisionals and basically agree, however NASCAR grants the top 35 a place in the race in order to keep sponsors. That's the only reason. It's a business decision. They need sponsors.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:21 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Creek View Post
For me, it would be more fun to watch if the races were a little shorter, less cookie cutter tracks.
I would agree with this, having curves in the tracks like in the F1 circuits would prove to be more challenging. But it could also prove more dangerous.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:26 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Drop the top 35 rule, everyone qualifies, top 25 are in the race, the others go to a Semi that could be run after the Nationwide race on Saturday. Take 15 from the semi for the Sunday race, 2 spots left for provisionals. everyone else go home.. Semi could be 100 laps or miles which ever come first..

Old 07-04-2009, 03:24 AM

146 posts, read 387,591 times
spikes on the wheels kinda like ben-hur???

Old 07-04-2009, 06:28 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,733,341 times
they need to eliminate Owners Points. It ruins the concept of qualifying. owners points ruins the Sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing