U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will finish higher in the points in 2021
Kyle Larson 19 90.48%
Darrel Bubba Wallace 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 11:22 PM

9 posts, read 2,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Bubba really bothers you, huh?
Where do you get that from what silas said?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 10:18 PM

9 posts, read 2,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I think you nailed it. Wallace is very immature but worse has a prima-dona attitude. They are going to give him and that team so much coverage ad nauseum and when the performance does not live up to it... Remember Danica ?
Larson on the other hand is a proven winner in equally as good or better equipment than he was in before. With a new lease on life. I figure he will at the very least get a win next year.

Well that's out of the way while Bubba and team have struggled. I look for them to improve in the second half of the season though. I don't think Wallace has Larson talent though, very few do.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:41 PM

12,321 posts, read 9,677,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVA1 View Post
Well that's out of the way while Bubba and team have struggled. I look for them to improve in the second half of the season though. I don't think Wallace has Larson talent though, very few do.

Wallace ran decent today. Didn't get the finish of where he was running necessarily. But, that's the first step forward I've seen. I don't particularly count plate racing. Throw out Daytona, they're 2-2. Wallace vs Jones.

Here's what has me concerned..

Erik Jones is elevating the 43. Jones has a top 10. Wallace has none.

Now, it's too small a sample size.. But, right now, Jones is doing better in Petty equipment than Wallace did. And.. Wallace is doing worse in what is essentially JGR equipment than Jones did.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:34 AM

8,834 posts, read 9,656,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Wallace ran decent today. Didn't get the finish of where he was running necessarily. But, that's the first step forward I've seen. I don't particularly count plate racing. Throw out Daytona, they're 2-2. Wallace vs Jones.

Now, it's too small a sample size.. But, right now, Jones is doing better in Petty equipment than Wallace did. And.. Wallace is doing worse in what is essentially JGR equipment than Jones did.
Exactly! That is the real comparison going forward. Think it safe to say Larson will be competing for a Championship , Wallace will be competing for top 10s.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Exactly! That is the real comparison going forward. Think it safe to say Larson will be competing for a Championship , Wallace will be competing for top 10s.

In general, probably. but.. Wallace has the equipment.

If they can put it all together, he will be competing for wins. Right now.. That team seems something of a mess. Which, isn't all that surprising with how quickly it came together.

We get on the far side of Darlington in May.. These problems had better be clearing up. At that point, we will have a much clearer view.

The flip side here.. It will also show whether Wallace is a capable Cup series driver.. Because once the team puts everything together....

Also, I strongly suspect that next year, 23XI will be a 2 car team. Pending on who they put in that car...

But there's no question, Wallace is in the best possible situation he could be in. If he can't make this work.. The problem is him. I still believe he will make it work. I don't see him being the next Gordon or anything, but I see a slightly higher topside than say.. Almirola. Who I think is a fine driver.. But he's.. McMurray-ish. They might win a race or two a year.. But that's it. Very much doubt you ever see them compete for a championship (Final 4).. And I don't think I see that for Wallace. But I see him winning.

Where I think he has a big weakness is Road Courses. He hasn't impressed me there. And we've got a lot of them this year.

Plate tracks.. You know, those are the great unknown anyway. He's a good plate racer.. But I don't consider someone who only wins at a plate track on the same level as someone who wins elsewhere.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:39 AM

4,388 posts, read 2,759,462 times
Quote:

I'm not overly concerned. He's 19th in points and doing well enough for a team with very few races under their belt. That said, I think Wheels is a good crew chief and if Bubba can get there, he's got the guy to do it.

Bubba finished ahead of Jones in Miami and Phenix, so it really matters what metric you use. Bubba is ahead in points as well.

EDIT to add: McD's jumping on with Bubba after dumping Larson is interesting.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:35 AM

6,649 posts, read 7,453,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
EDIT to add: McD's jumping on with Bubba after dumping Larson is interesting.
Don't remember the McJordan burger? Michael and McD's have been close since the early 90's. Always loved those Jordan vs. Bird showdown commercials.

McDonald's must believe that Bubba's fans are more likely to spend their money at McD's than Larson's fans. Plus it seems like a great fit with Michael being co-owner.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Don't remember the McJordan burger? Michael and McD's have been close since the early 90's. Always loved those Jordan vs. Bird showdown commercials.

McDonald's must believe that Bubba's fans are more likely to spend their money at McD's than Larson's fans. Plus it seems like a great fit with Michael being co-owner.

McD's hasn't left the 42. I just don't think they've run the scheme this year.

Oh, they did run it at the Daytona Road Course.. https://www.jayski.com/paint-schemes...paint-schemes/

Few companies have car sponsorship agreements with drivers. They might have personal services agreements, but it's rare for a situation like Bowyer and Five Hour Energy where the driver and sponsor are tied together.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
McD's hasn't left the 42. I just don't think they've run the scheme this year.

Oh, they did run it at the Daytona Road Course.. https://www.jayski.com/paint-schemes...paint-schemes/

Few companies have car sponsorship agreements with drivers. They might have personal services agreements, but it's rare for a situation like Bowyer and Five Hour Energy where the driver and sponsor are tied together.
Almirola and Smithfield

Old 03-16-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
In general, probably. but.. Wallace has the equipment.

If they can put it all together, he will be competing for wins. Right now.. That team seems something of a mess. Which, isn't all that surprising with how quickly it came together.

We get on the far side of Darlington in May.. These problems had better be clearing up. At that point, we will have a much clearer view.

The flip side here.. It will also show whether Wallace is a capable Cup series driver.. Because once the team puts everything together....

Also, I strongly suspect that next year, 23XI will be a 2 car team. Pending on who they put in that car...

But there's no question, Wallace is in the best possible situation he could be in. If he can't make this work.. The problem is him. I still believe he will make it work. I don't see him being the next Gordon or anything, but I see a slightly higher topside than say.. Almirola. Who I think is a fine driver.. But he's.. McMurray-ish. They might win a race or two a year.. But that's it. Very much doubt you ever see them compete for a championship (Final 4).. And I don't think I see that for Wallace. But I see him winning.

Where I think he has a big weakness is Road Courses. He hasn't impressed me there. And we've got a lot of them this year.

Plate tracks.. You know, those are the great unknown anyway. He's a good plate racer.. But I don't consider someone who only wins at a plate track on the same level as someone who wins elsewhere.
You give him much more credit than I do, I see him more Danica caliber, (better than Almirola)? I dont see it, but time will tell. I guess you could just compare their performance in the Petty car and have a pretty accurate comparison. Stewart Haas isnt exactly lighting the world on fire so far this season , safe to say Harvicks performance, or lack there of has been surprising. Side note whats the side by side comparison of Almirolas stats compared to Danica in the 10 car?
You do bring up an interesting scenario though with Jordan adding a 2nd car. Jordan made it pretty clear he is in this thing to win and compete for wins. My lingering question is , if Wallace isnt making that happen how long does Jordan keep him and then does he go out and get a top talent or does he use his race/color based criteria again? The 2nd car scenario lets him keep Wallace regardless and go out and get a good driver for a 2nd car Possibly a farm team for Gibbs to keep talent with Toyota?

Last edited by silas777; 03-16-2021 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing