U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will finish higher in the points in 2021
Kyle Larson 19 90.48%
Darrel Bubba Wallace 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 03:57 PM

12,367 posts, read 9,750,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You give him much more credit than I do, I see him more Danica caliber, (better than Almirola)? I dont see it, but time will tell. I guess you could just compare their performance in the Petty car and have a pretty accurate comparison. Stewart Haas isnt exactly lighting the world on fire so far this season , safe to say Harvicks performance, or lack there of has been surprising. Side note whats the side by side comparison of Almirolas stats compared to Danica in the 10 car?
You do bring up an interesting scenario though with Jordan adding a 2nd car. Jordan made it pretty clear he is in this thing to win and compete for wins. My lingering question is , if Wallace isnt making that happen how long does Jordan keep him and then does he go out and get a top talent or does he use his race/color based criteria again? The 2nd car scenario lets him keep Wallace regardless and go out and get a good driver for a 2nd car Possibly a farm team for Gibbs to keep talent with Toyota?

This is the question so far as 23XI.. I certainly think they're a farm/placeholder team for Gibbs without question. And it would not surprise me for it to be Brandon Jones or Daniel Hemrick in the car next year. Because they gotta free up one of those seats in Xfinity for Ty Gibbs next year.

As for Almirola vs Danica.. In a 14 year career (hard to believe he's been around that long) he's got 79 top 10's in 357 races. A 22% rate.. Which is not overly good.

Danica Patrick had 7 top 10's in 191 career races. a 4% rate. Which is atrocious.

Now.. I'll also throw this.. Almirola drove for much crappier teams.. DEI at the end, Phoenix Racing, Tommy Baldwin and Richard Petty.

Since he's been with SHR, taking over Danica's car (let's not forget that) he has a 44% top-10 rate. 47 of those 79 top 10's have come since 2018.

Aric Almirola is a better driver than you think. He just.. Doesn't win enough to make you realize how good he his. You see him running up front quite a bit, but rarely see him close the deal. If Harvick's the closer, Almirola is the fader.

Now, I also brought up Jaime McMurray. He spent his career in.. Good to average equipment. Ganassi for the most part with some Roush. Good Roush, not post Edwards/Kenseth Roush. He had 169 top 10's in 584 races for a 29% clip. I give him some demerits because he was in such good equipment.

Compare that against someone we'd consider a great driver. Harvick, 54%, Gordon 59%, Johnson 55%, Earnhardt 63%, Junior 41% (And, honestly, we know Junior wasn't the greatest of drivers and probably is in a tier right below those I have him listed with here.. If Gordon, et al are "A" tier, Junior would be "B" tier)

Let's be honest here.. Harvick is probably the most impressive of that bunch right there. Why? His career started in '01, so top flight cometition.. He drove in some.. Iffy equipment some years with RCR. They had some real down spells during his time there. And he still has an almost equal top 10% as Johnson, who competed against the same competition, but in top flight equipment every year. Gordon's career started.. Look, up through the 90's, the competition wasn't the same level. See the 13 wins in 98. Earnhardt certainly competed against inferior competition compared to the others.

Of course. We're just taking top 10's here. Is that a great metric? well, it's the one I chose.. I think it's decent to use in this instance for comparison.

Just want to throw this out.. Someone who is generally considered a decent driver who was always in bad equipment. JD McDuffie.. Had a 16% top 10 rate.. 4 times Danica. Danica did, however, have a higher rate than Buckshot Jones, who had 1 career top 10 in 56 races.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 02:39 PM

8,859 posts, read 9,678,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
This is the question so far as 23XI.. I certainly think they're a farm/placeholder team for Gibbs without question. And it would not surprise me for it to be Brandon Jones or Daniel Hemrick in the car next year. Because they gotta free up one of those seats in Xfinity for Ty Gibbs next year.

As for Almirola vs Danica.. In a 14 year career (hard to believe he's been around that long) he's got 79 top 10's in 357 races. A 22% rate.. Which is not overly good.

Danica Patrick had 7 top 10's in 191 career races. a 4% rate. Which is atrocious.

Now.. I'll also throw this.. Almirola drove for much crappier teams.. DEI at the end, Phoenix Racing, Tommy Baldwin and Richard Petty.

Since he's been with SHR, taking over Danica's car (let's not forget that) he has a 44% top-10 rate. 47 of those 79 top 10's have come since 2018.

Aric Almirola is a better driver than you think. He just.. Doesn't win enough to make you realize how good he his. You see him running up front quite a bit, but rarely see him close the deal. If Harvick's the closer, Almirola is the fader.

Now, I also brought up Jaime McMurray. He spent his career in.. Good to average equipment. Ganassi for the most part with some Roush. Good Roush, not post Edwards/Kenseth Roush. He had 169 top 10's in 584 races for a 29% clip. I give him some demerits because he was in such good equipment.

Compare that against someone we'd consider a great driver. Harvick, 54%, Gordon 59%, Johnson 55%, Earnhardt 63%, Junior 41% (And, honestly, we know Junior wasn't the greatest of drivers and probably is in a tier right below those I have him listed with here.. If Gordon, et al are "A" tier, Junior would be "B" tier)

Let's be honest here.. Harvick is probably the most impressive of that bunch right there. Why? His career started in '01, so top flight cometition.. He drove in some.. Iffy equipment some years with RCR. They had some real down spells during his time there. And he still has an almost equal top 10% as Johnson, who competed against the same competition, but in top flight equipment every year. Gordon's career started.. Look, up through the 90's, the competition wasn't the same level. See the 13 wins in 98. Earnhardt certainly competed against inferior competition compared to the others.

Of course. We're just taking top 10's here. Is that a great metric? well, it's the one I chose.. I think it's decent to use in this instance for comparison.

Just want to throw this out.. Someone who is generally considered a decent driver who was always in bad equipment. JD McDuffie.. Had a 16% top 10 rate.. 4 times Danica. Danica did, however, have a higher rate than Buckshot Jones, who had 1 career top 10 in 56 races.
Hahaha, wow! you did some digging , nice work! I dig that stuff! I think you meant Almirola is a better driver than YOU think, thats what I was saying. They used to have the head to head feature on NASCAR.com, but I didnt see it anymore. You didnt break down the % for Almirol v Wallace in the Petty car.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Hahaha, wow! you did some digging , nice work! I dig that stuff! I think you meant Almirola is a better driver than YOU think, thats what I was saying. They used to have the head to head feature on NASCAR.com, but I didnt see it anymore. You didnt break down the % for Almirol v Wallace in the Petty car.

Well, I rank him as what I consider a "C" tier driver overall, with the last few years being a low "B". They get top 10's here and there, and can jump up and win a race a year or so.. But.. You're never going to see them competing for a championship.

Now, when Almirola was with Gibbs (Let's not forget the Mayhem in Milwaukee where he wasn't driving for his first win) I thought he would top out higher as a solid to high "B" tier driver.

But.. Thank racing reference (and a calculator).. And to answer your point..

Almirola was with Petty from 2012-2017

In that time, he accumulated 30 top 10's (and 10 top 5's with 1 win, though it was a plate win) in a total of 209 races. That comes out to 14%

Wallace had 9 top 10's in 112 races, along with 3 top 5's. That's about 8%

Now, there's some variables in there.. Petty partnerships, etc, etc. I will say that Wallace I suspect has a much higher DNF percentage. Let's look at that, as that's a valuable metric as well..

Looks like Wallace had 21 DNFs in his 112 races, while Almirola had 24 in almost double the races. That is a Very Big Problem. If you're winning races, wreckers or checkers works. It doesn't if you aren't. Almirola takes care of his equipment much, much better.

FWIW.. Danica and Buckshot are solid "F" tier drivers. lol. Along with Larry Foyt. 19 DNQ's and 23 starts with 0 top 10's will get you in the "F" tier.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:36 PM

60 posts, read 30,554 times
7 Races in and Bubba is 21st, Larson 4th in points. It's early, but I don't see Bubba really doing much this year. If he does in fact make the playoffs, he probably wont go too far.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:05 AM

6,685 posts, read 7,483,087 times
Valvoline to sponsor the #5 for 3 races this year, sharing with #24 car.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route7toRoute202 View Post
7 Races in and Bubba is 21st, Larson 4th in points. It's early, but I don't see Bubba really doing much this year. If he does in fact make the playoffs, he probably wont go too far.

He ran.. Pretty well at Martinsville as I recall? Which kinda surprised me. Led some laps, finished 16th.

We've seen he's been strong at the plate tracks. But.. Again, you win a plate race, it counts.. But not as much as winning a 'normal' race.

He's led some laps. The important stat that I see, compared to previous years. He's been running at the end of all races except 1, which was Daytona. The old "To finish first, first you must finish"

He has NOT recorded a top 10 finish yet. That's got to be a big concern. Now, at least one race, was it the road course where the crew cocked up? Not his fault. But, a pair of 16th place finishes isn't going to cut it.

Again, I go back to comparing him to Erik Jones. Jones took over his old ride.. They're on equal footing as far as experience (more or less) and both have the same handicaps of being on new teams and learning new people, etc..

Jones has a couple of top 10's. Bristol and Vegas. But.. Jones has been running at the end of 2 fewer races.. Which is likely why he's about 30-40 points behind Wallace in the standings. As I recall, those have all been wrecks.. Not equipment failure.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:48 AM

6,685 posts, read 7,483,087 times
The media seems to be compelling Bubba to victory lane. A pit reporter mentioned something about Bubba enduring the trauma from his last Dega visit.

OTH, it seems like the media is downplaying Justin Fields before the NFL draft. He's getting very little love for him, being the the only person of color in the top QB's. He has all of the tools to be a very good QB in the NFL. Very high mental IQ as well.

With the right team, Justin could win a championship before Bubba. And the reason I say this is because the 23XI team is basically a JGR team. Bubba has good equipment and good people around him. I do hope to see him in Victory Lane this year and maybe he just needs to settle in with his new team. I think he would do better if the media would lay off him. He has a lot of pressure on him to win, with much of that self-induced unfortunately.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:01 PM

8,859 posts, read 9,678,930 times
I am reminded of the time Theresa Earnhardt said about Dale Jr... “Right now the ball’s in his court to decide on whether he wants to be a NASCAR driver or whether he wants to be a public personality”
Wallace seems to want keep beating the racism drum and has obviously gotten waaay more attention from IT, than his racing ability. It seems it is starting to wear a little thin within the cup garage. I dont really see him ever being a "succesful" cup driver and perhaps he knows it as well... Hence the continued race hustle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...rt/ar-BB1fYJiE

Old 04-30-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The media seems to be compelling Bubba to victory lane. A pit reporter mentioned something about Bubba enduring the trauma from his last Dega visit.

OTH, it seems like the media is downplaying Justin Fields before the NFL draft. He's getting very little love for him, being the the only person of color in the top QB's. He has all of the tools to be a very good QB in the NFL. Very high mental IQ as well.

With the right team, Justin could win a championship before Bubba. And the reason I say this is because the 23XI team is basically a JGR team. Bubba has good equipment and good people around him. I do hope to see him in Victory Lane this year and maybe he just needs to settle in with his new team. I think he would do better if the media would lay off him. He has a lot of pressure on him to win, with much of that self-induced unfortunately.

Well, Fields went to the Bears.. so.. Buh-bye to the 'good team' idea.

My opinion, and I said this in the Football topic.. Fields was being hurt by association with Duane Haskins.

Haskins basically wound up being a bust and Fields is following him out of OSU.

And, what pundits say doesn't matter. Remember, Mac Jones was going to be the #3 pick to SF.. He fell all the way to 15th, last of the top tier QBs to be selected.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:06 AM

4,413 posts, read 2,785,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He ran.. Pretty well at Martinsville as I recall?

Again, I go back to comparing him to Erik Jones. Jones took over his old ride.. They're on equal footing as far as experience (more or less) and both have the same handicaps of being on new teams and learning new people, etc..
Bubba did well in trucks there.

Jones is a new driver on an old team. Bubba is a new driver on a brand new team.

Silas, I’d love to read your source for Bubba starting to wear a little thin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing