U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will finish higher in the points in 2021
Kyle Larson 20 90.91%
Darrel Bubba Wallace 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 04:09 PM

12,390 posts, read 9,793,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Especially since all the other Gibbs cars are in the top 11... not like SHR where they are all down and struggling. Speaks volumes.

I doubt it's exactly fair to compare him to three of three of the four Gibbs drivers just based on experience levels.. But holding him up against Christopher Bell is certainly legit, I think

There are 5 full time drivers without a top 10.

Wallace, Briscoe, Alfredo, Houff and Bilicki

That's NOT an area you want your name associated with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 06:40 AM

4,422 posts, read 2,800,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And Wallace was nowhere near impressive. I didn't catch the whole race, so I don't know all of what happened, but I don't think I even saw him mentioned while I was watching.

I still think Wallace is better than he's driving now.. But, he had better start stepping up. Mid 20th place finishes are the new 30th-40th place with only 36-37 cars in the field.

I was expecting things to have come together by now and some progress having been seen. We are not seeing progress.
Kurt Busch ran up the track and contacted Wallace. Wallace should have been the lucky dog, but NASCAR said because he was in the wreck, he didn't get it. Both Gordon and Bowyer said it was unfair because it wasn't Wallace's fault.

I'm not sure how people keep calling this the 5th Gibbs car. They certainly benefit from the shared knowledge, but it's a new car, new crew chief, and new driver. Bell stepped into a good team formerly occupied by Erik Jones.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:36 AM

6,698 posts, read 7,500,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And Wallace was nowhere near impressive. I didn't catch the whole race, so I don't know all of what happened, but I don't think I even saw him mentioned while I was watching.

I still think Wallace is better than he's driving now.. But, he had better start stepping up. Mid 20th place finishes are the new 30th-40th place with only 36-37 cars in the field.

I was expecting things to have come together by now and some progress having been seen. We are not seeing progress.
Wallace has a number of issues happening, not all his own making. His crew chief has not been the best at making good calls this season. Bubba will get up to the top 15 or so, then his CC will make a bad call that puts Bubba in the back of the pack. Then Bubba tries to drive the wheels off his car to get back up front and incidents begin to happen. Bubba also is putting a lot of pressure on himself to perform. Having an owner of Jordan and Hamlin, plus the pressure the media makes up about him, I can see why he's having issues this season. He really needs to just chill a bit.

The main issue could be a gel thing between the driver and crew chief and things will sort out. If not, then maybe a new CC would be in order next season.

Bubba has a good chance of winning a race this year. He may not dominate, but maybe he'll get lucky and be in a position to win at the end of a race. Then a lot of his issues will fade away.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Kurt Busch ran up the track and contacted Wallace. Wallace should have been the lucky dog, but NASCAR said because he was in the wreck, he didn't get it. Both Gordon and Bowyer said it was unfair because it wasn't Wallace's fault.

I'm not sure how people keep calling this the 5th Gibbs car. They certainly benefit from the shared knowledge, but it's a new car, new crew chief, and new driver. Bell stepped into a good team formerly occupied by Erik Jones.

Because look at how the previous '5th cars' ran.. MTJ and Furniture Row.. Then Leavine Racing.. Those teams ran well and FRR won a championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Wallace has a number of issues happening, not all his own making. His crew chief has not been the best at making good calls this season. Bubba will get up to the top 15 or so, then his CC will make a bad call that puts Bubba in the back of the pack. Then Bubba tries to drive the wheels off his car to get back up front and incidents begin to happen. Bubba also is putting a lot of pressure on himself to perform. Having an owner of Jordan and Hamlin, plus the pressure the media makes up about him, I can see why he's having issues this season. He really needs to just chill a bit.

The main issue could be a gel thing between the driver and crew chief and things will sort out. If not, then maybe a new CC would be in order next season.

Bubba has a good chance of winning a race this year. He may not dominate, but maybe he'll get lucky and be in a position to win at the end of a race. Then a lot of his issues will fade away.

Where i'm starting to have a problem.. Even when you have good drivers with bad luck.. They every now and again pop up and have that run where you say "Ok, things are gonna turn around".. We really haven't seen that.. MAYBE Martinsville..

And.. Mike Wheeler is his crew chief.. He's one of the better ones. Now. That doesn't mean a whole lot.. McReynolds and Earnhardt didn't gel. Sometimes that happens.. People just don't click.

I still think Wallace has the talent to win. I'm starting to wonder if he has the head to win.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:09 AM

The media was celebrating Bubba's top 15 at Dover! Pop the champagne!!

Old 05-17-2021, 12:01 PM

8,899 posts, read 9,695,613 times
Quote:
Of course... Remember when they would be sure to interview Danica regardless of where she finished.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Of course... Remember when they would be sure to interview Danica regardless of where she finished.

To be fair.. They interview everyone after a wreck.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:53 PM

64 posts, read 32,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labonte18 View Post
to be fair.. They interview everyone after a wreck.
lol

Old 05-17-2021, 02:55 PM

64 posts, read 32,660 times
Quote:
Eh, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it is his best finish all season after all.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route7toRoute202 View Post
Eh, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it is his best finish all season after all.
Bubba didn't want to talk to the media after having a bad day at COTA. Christopher Bell didn't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing