U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 07:38 AM

4,329 posts, read 2,659,285 times

Advertisements

The 500 was big portions of really boring interrupted by short blasts of huge carnage.

Congrats to McDowell on his first win. Denny had the car to beat, again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 04:36 PM

12,014 posts, read 9,365,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The 500 was big portions of really boring interrupted by short blasts of huge carnage.

When is it not? I mean, that's plate racing (Yes, we all know there's no plate anymore, but..)

That's just the nature of the beast at Daytona and Talladega.

McDowell.. You know, all told.. Couldn't have a better guy get a surprise win. And to get it in the 500.. We've had that happen at plate tracks before. It's not uncommon, but none of them have been able to grab the big one.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:12 AM

6,565 posts, read 7,360,234 times
Very happy for McDowell. So cool to see a small team win and he may even qualify for the Chase if there are not 16 additional new winners this year!

Denny certainly is becoming the best plate racer of the current generation. Amazing that he won two in a row and almost three and so many NASCAR champs have not even won one.

As far as the "nature of the beast", that is a good analogy. Did you realize that in 57 editions of the 500 there has been a lead change on the final lap only 9 times!! Four of those times have happened in the past 6 years alone! And before 2017 NO ONE has ever won the 500 by leading only the final lap of the race. McDowell is the 3rd driver to do it in the last five years.

NASCAR has brought so much parity to this race as we all know, just about any of the 40 cars have a chance to win it.

After nearly 12 hours of mostly non-stop NASCAR coverage Sunday, the ending was worth the wait.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Very happy for McDowell. So cool to see a small team win and he may even qualify for the Chase if there are not 16 additional new winners this year!

Denny certainly is becoming the best plate racer of the current generation. Amazing that he won two in a row and almost three and so many NASCAR champs have not even won one.

As far as the "nature of the beast", that is a good analogy. Did you realize that in 57 editions of the 500 there has been a lead change on the final lap only 9 times!! Four of those times have happened in the past 6 years alone! And before 2017 NO ONE has ever won the 500 by leading only the final lap of the race. McDowell is the 3rd driver to do it in the last five years.

NASCAR has brought so much parity to this race as we all know, just about any of the 40 cars have a chance to win it.

After nearly 12 hours of mostly non-stop NASCAR coverage Sunday, the ending was worth the wait.

That's not parity..That's due to no racing back to the caution and overtime.

Look at the first 47 years of the race.. How many times did it finish under caution? Hard to make a last lap pass under caution. Though, it can happen.. Just as Mark Martin.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:18 AM

1,044 posts, read 601,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Definitely was a wild finish. In the end, Elliott, Hamlin, Harvick all put themselves in position for a top finish.

I still love NASCAR because it’s in my blood, but really still have no rooting interest. Mainly pull for Stewart Haas guys Harvick and Almirola. That feels like one of the last old school racer teams.

I couldn’t pick Ryan Preece, Cole Custer, Chase Briscoe, Christopher Bell, Matthew DiBenedetto out of a lineup to save my life. I think NASCAR might be just making all these new guys in a cloning chamber.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:18 AM

8,802 posts, read 9,612,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

BORING INDEED! Even the carnage was relatively tame. It reminded me of the year when Jeff Gordon led the whole pack single file around the top the whole flipping race!
I do wish they would have spent more time talking to and about Hamlin/Jordan/Wallace though...
Glad to see Mcdowell get a win and did like what Logano had to say about him.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:24 PM

I am hoping that no one is complaining about the races on the road course being boring?

That was 3 great races.. and 2 great first time winners.

Now.. Ty Gibbs winning in JGR equipment.. Yeah, he won in JGR equipment, but he won on a road course, his first start and beat one of the best Xfinity drivers to do it. And how about his offroad excursion to do it?

That was impressive no matter what equipment he was in.

Then Christopher Bell.. Not really as shocking as Ty Gibbs.. And yes, again, he's moved to good equipment, though he had about the same equipment last year where he performed respectably... But he won cleanly.. When I really thought he wouldn't because he was being pretty well abused by Kurt Busch. I'm sure Logano would have roughed him up if he wasn't just so much better and drove away.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:12 AM

3,497 posts, read 3,467,722 times
That was actually a good race, have always enjoyed road courses.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:24 AM

8,802 posts, read 9,612,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I am hoping that no one is complaining about the races on the road course being boring?

That was 3 great races.. and 2 great first time winners.

Now.. Ty Gibbs winning in JGR equipment.. Yeah, he won in JGR equipment, but he won on a road course, his first start and beat one of the best Xfinity drivers to do it. And how about his offroad excursion to do it?

That was impressive no matter what equipment he was in.

Then Christopher Bell.. Not really as shocking as Ty Gibbs.. And yes, again, he's moved to good equipment, though he had about the same equipment last year where he performed respectably... But he won cleanly.. When I really thought he wouldn't because he was being pretty well abused by Kurt Busch. I'm sure Logano would have roughed him up if he wasn't just so much better and drove away.
Agreed... I thought it was a pretty good race aside from the fact that a Toyota won. I will say, that Christopher Bell seems like a pretty decent kid, it will be interesting to see if he follows the attitude change of every other driver at Gibbs. It was Chase's race to lose and that he did, that was dissapointing. And how bout that 5 car ran towards the front most of the day and looked to be on his way to the lead was until he wasnt.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:49 PM

4,329 posts, read 2,659,285 times
Most everyone seemed to like the race, except Brad Keselowski. Dude was all over the place. How he managed to finish top 5 is amazing.

I thought Logano was going to put Bell in the wall at the end, but he surprised me. He's certainly grown a lot in the sport.

I'll be happy to see the results this weekend. The 500 is a crap shoot given all the good drivers getting caught up in wrecks and the Daytona road course is a wild affair as well. So maybe Homestead just settles in to a normal race and we can see who the strong players will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing