U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:47 AM

4,541 posts, read 3,463,587 times

Advertisements

Can't wait. Watched the first two episodes of "Drive to Survive" yesterday to get myself pumped up for the new season, as well. Good show, really well-made.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 12:41 PM

65,615 posts, read 46,972,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
REMINDER:
Bahrain GP Practice 1 will air at 7:30 am EST Friday 3/26 on ESPN.

This is it!

Let's hope it's a battle all season!

Old 03-27-2021, 12:50 PM

5,834 posts, read 6,747,506 times
Nikita Mazespin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6EFHXLojwQ

Old 03-27-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Nikita Mazespin
Cash is king. Ugh.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:13 AM

182 posts, read 86,318 times
Two more mental mistakes from Vettel? One during qualifying when he failed to slow for double yellow flags and another in the race when he rear-ended Ocon. And he failed to accept responsibility for the race incident by whining "Why did he change his line?" which he assuredly did not. The stewards gave him a 10-second penalty, double the usual 5-second one for causing an accident; I think the stewards have had enough of his bad driving.

Show me another world champ who makes as many mistakes as him. There is no one else as bad. Spins, wrecks, you name it- he's at the top of the list. You could also name all the recent drivers who earned a reputation for bad driving and Vettel tops that list too. Grosjean, Kvyat, etc. they all improved. Not Vettel. Didn't Vettel call Kvyat "The Torpedo" for his habit of running into other cars? Now Vettel is just as bad, but he's not improving.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:27 AM

And now I find out that he complained about aircraft flyovers and successfully got them reduced. He claimed they were wasting fuel and affecting the environment and F1 caved in to his demand they be stopped. This is influence only a 4-time world champ can have. But he drives like a GP2 rookie. Shut up and drive!

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebast...ast-complaint/

Old 03-29-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
And now I find out that he complained about aircraft flyovers and successfully got them reduced. He claimed they were wasting fuel and affecting the environment and F1 caved in to his demand they be stopped. This is influence only a 4-time world champ can have.
And it's good that he can. Not sure what this has to do with his driving. People can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
And it's good that he can. Not sure what this has to do with his driving. People can walk and chew gum at the same time.
It's troublesome when people with no special knowledge or skill are allowed to determine policy. And it's bothersome when a sport gets so politically correct that it becomes a farce. Maybe you like the new F1, but with its artificial competition, "we race as one" nonsense and over the top PC, it's become a travesty of its former glory.

Artificial competition created by DRS and targeted rule changes. Letting Ferrari off with a slap on the wrist after their fuel management infractions of last year. Arbitrary and inconsistent rule enforcement, including track limits.

If F1 is so concerned with human rights, why do Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, China, Russia and Saudi Arabia have such iron-clad spots on the calendar? Utter hypocrisy! All lives matter!

Political correctness taken to its ridiculous extreme by banning grid girls, PC displays on the grid (mandatory attendance for all drivers) and now banning flyovers. If Vettel is so concerned about wasting fuel, he should just stay home! His races are a complete waste, except for the damage he inflicts on others.

Open your mind and see what's happening to this sport. I was thrilled by the race, but, seriously, with multiple DRS zones per lap how many times did you see a passer overtaken again by the passee in the very next DRS zone? Is that competition?

Old 03-29-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
It's troublesome when people with no special knowledge or skill are allowed to determine policy.
Determine, yes. Influence, no. The powers didn't have to acquiesce to Seb.
Quote:
And it's bothersome when a sport gets so politically correct that it becomes a farce. Maybe you like the new F1, but with its artificial competition
I don't.
Quote:
, "we race as one" nonsense
I see no issue with that and it has nothing to do with the quality of the actual racing.
Quote:
and over the top PC
Who determines whether or not it's "over the top"?
Quote:
, it's become a travesty of its former glory.
I agree, but, I suspect, for different reasons.
Quote:
Artificial competition created by DRS and targeted rule changes. Letting Ferrari off with a slap on the wrist after their fuel management infractions of last year. Arbitrary and inconsistent rule enforcement, including track limits.
All valid points.
Quote:
If F1 is so concerned with human rights, why do Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, China, Russia and Saudi Arabia have such iron-clad spots on the calendar? Utter hypocrisy!
I definitely agree with you. None of these countries should have Grands Prix.
Quote:
All lives matter!
They certainly do. But, again, I suspect that your use of this phrase is vastly divergent from mine.
Quote:
Political correctness taken to its ridiculous extreme by banning grid girls,
Because hyper-sexualization is an awesome thing we should all celebrate?
Quote:
PC displays on the grid (mandatory attendance for all drivers)
Not mandatory participation, though. A number of people refused to take a knee when it was started last year and I respect their freedom to make that choice. Some of them (Magnussen) made quite an unfortunate mess of expressing their views, but oh well.
Quote:
and now banning flyovers. If Vettel is so concerned about wasting fuel, he should just stay home! His races are a complete waste, except for the damage he inflicts on others.
He certainly had an unfortunate first go of it. But that's as far as I'm willing to go with generalizations. As far as wasting fuel, it's a given condition of the sport. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be encouraged to run leaner, pardon the pun.
Quote:
Open your mind and see what's happening to this sport. I was thrilled by the race, but, seriously, with multiple DRS zones per lap how many times did you see a passer overtaken again by the passee in the very next DRS zone? Is that competition?
I started following F1 in 1992. I'm well cognizant of what is happening to the sport. Problem is, without the developments of the past two decades-plus, we might have more genuine overtakes, but, as an example, Grosjean would be dead. But I fail to see what this has to do with Seb having an opinion about flyovers and potentially influencing the decision to have them stopped.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:52 PM

Hey if you don't like looking at girls, that's fine. For you. But your hyper-sexualization hyperbole is evidence of the trouble with people who think like you. You have a problem with something (or a lot of things) and you require everyone else to change in order to accommodate your sense of righteousness. I'm just trying to keep things as they were, or implement changes which are well-considered and in the best interest of the sport. But to people like you, change is always good, whether it really is or not. And you'll never admit otherwise.

I could nitpick all your points, as it seems you enjoy doing, but I'll let my generalization sum up our differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing