U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2021, 01:11 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 3,463,587 times
Reputation: 3601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Hey if you don't like looking at girls, that's fine. For you.
I like looking at girls. I see no value add from having them parade around the starting grid of an F1 race. IMO, it's low-class. You don't have to agree with me.
Quote:
But your hyper-sexualization hyperbole is evidence of the trouble with people who think like you.
And your reaction is evidence of the trouble with people who think like you (by the way, my "hyperbole" isn't hyperbolic at all, it's fact). Trouble is, people like me recognize the objectification of women as a part of the overarching societal problem that includes gender discrimination and rape culture and people like you, well, don't seem to be able to make that leap.
Quote:
You have a problem with something (or a lot of things) and you require everyone else to change in order to accommodate your sense of righteousness.
Actually, I don't require anyone to do anything. I merely comment on phenomena as they occur.
Quote:
I'm just trying to keep things as they were, or implement changes which are well-considered and in the best interest of the sport.
Really? What exactly are you, Bruceski44, doing "to keep things as they were"? (let's for a minute leave alone whether or not these things should be kept as they were)
Quote:
But to people like you, change is always good, whether it really is or not. And you'll never admit otherwise.
Not always. Admitting that right now: DRS is not "good change". The dumbing down of the engine formula and elimination of different engine types is not "good change" (I get why it was done, but I still don't like it as, IMO, it stunts development). Artificial tire rules are not "good change". There are more, but I think I've made my point.

In the case of grid girls, however, it is "good change". Gratuitous displays of sexuality add zero value to the sport. My opinion, not forcing you to agree or disagree.
Quote:
I could nitpick all your points, as it seems you enjoy doing, but I'll let my generalization sum up our differences.
Is it that or is it that you actually couldn't?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2021, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Kuna, ID
182 posts, read 86,318 times
Reputation: 672
It's a piece of cake refuting your points. For example:
You say: "Gratuitous displays of sexuality add zero value to the sport." I say attractive women have been part of motorsports and sports in general since before we were born. Women are nice to look at; that's how God designed men. It's only your puritanical, guilt-stricken or asexual mindset which calls it "objectification" or "sexualization" or even "hyper-sexualization." Are they forced to attend? Forced to look pretty? Just because you can't deal with it for what it is, an innocent appreciation of beauty, doesn't mean I'm a chauvinist or rapist. You do resort to hyperbole, although it's so ingrained in you you can't realize it. You even call it fact which is ludicrous. People who cannot make cogent arguments or deal with subtleties use hyperbole. It's become the go-to play in the debate playbook. I like looking at attractive women. Therefore I'm a dysfunctional misogynistic white slaver rapist. Your assertions are ridiculous.

You say: "Not mandatory participation, though. A number of people refused to take a knee when it was started last year and I respect their freedom to make that choice." I say drivers must be present for the PC portion of the pre-race ceremonies, just like the anthems. I never mentioned taking a knee which is your distraction. If attendance is compulsory, isn't that the same problem they are trying to address? They only "Race as One" because they would be penalized for not appearing.

And the easiest one: You say "Problem is, without the developments of the past two decades-plus, we might have more genuine overtakes, but, as an example, Grosjean would be dead. " More hyperbole BTW. I say Grosjean's life was saved by the halo, not any PC or ill-advised "improvement" to the sport. Safety improvements are always desired, although Niki and Jackie fought hard for them back in the day. Same with the HANS device. But you're conflating safety improvements with all the other developments in the recent past, many of which did nothing to improve the racing, but only to make the sport appear more palatable to progressive thinkers who aren't even interested in the competition.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2021, 07:55 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 3,463,587 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
It's a piece of cake refuting your points. For example:
You say: "Gratuitous displays of sexuality add zero value to the sport." I say attractive women have been part of motorsports and sports in general since before we were born.
So your logic is...what? "It was like this before, it should continue to be so"? Segregated water fountains would like a word.
Quote:
Women are nice to look at; that's how God designed men.
The belief in the existence of a deity is a byproduct of ignorance. That you would use this as a serious argument only strengthens that point.
Quote:
It's only your puritanical, guilt-stricken or asexual mindset which calls it "objectification" or "sexualization" or even "hyper-sexualization."
Three ad hominems in one. Nice one. I maintain my original point: parading half-naked women around before motor races is classless. There's nothing puritanical about my mindset - I just believe in there being a time and place for everything.
Quote:
I like looking at attractive women. Therefore I'm a dysfunctional misogynistic white slaver rapist. Your assertions are ridiculous.
I don't recall saying this and I'll thank you not to put words into my mouth.
Quote:
You say: "Not mandatory participation, though. A number of people refused to take a knee when it was started last year and I respect their freedom to make that choice." I say drivers must be present for the PC portion of the pre-race ceremonies, just like the anthems. I never mentioned taking a knee which is your distraction. If attendance is compulsory, isn't that the same problem they are trying to address? They only "Race as One" because they would be penalized for not appearing.
Is attendance compulsory? What happens if someone refuses to attend? Or is it that they are just 20 human beings with enough decency not to want to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian?
Quote:
And the easiest one: You say "Problem is, without the developments of the past two decades-plus, we might have more genuine overtakes, but, as an example, Grosjean would be dead. " More hyperbole BTW. I say Grosjean's life was saved by the halo, not any PC or ill-advised "improvement" to the sport.
The halo (which I personally can't stand because it takes away from that "classic" open-cockpit design) is part of the sport evolving. I never said being PC saved his life - that would be insane.
Quote:
only to make the sport appear more palatable to progressive thinkers who aren't even interested in the competition.
Farthest thing from my mind. I have zero vested interest in who watches F1.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2021, 11:38 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 3,463,587 times
Reputation: 3601
Come to find out the fly-by wasn’t actually cancelled. It was run on biofuel. But that doesn’t really fit the “meddling Vettel” narrative, does it?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...VaWoGFkOM.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2021, 06:50 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
65,615 posts, read 46,972,749 times
Reputation: 35875
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I started following F1 in 1992. I'm well cognizant of what is happening to the sport.

I attended my first GP in 1966 when too young to have a drivers license I talked my parents into a trip to Watkins Glen, don't think they ever forgave me for the ankle deep mud. Different days, you could freely roam the paddock and I well remember almost having my toes run over by Jack Brabham returning to the garage. The big difference was NO sponsor names on the cars which were just painted in their nation's racing color(s). I believe virtually every professional 'sport' which has seen a huge influx of $$$ due to sponsor $$$, TV $$, marketing tie-ins $$$, etc. is now more business than sport, racing included. Cyndi Lauper wasn't lying when she wrote Money Changes Everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2021, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Baker City, Oregon
4,346 posts, read 6,607,358 times
Reputation: 7747
Because of the Queen's husband's funeral, the Imola qualifying schedule has been changed. You might want to check to see if you DVR is set properly. https://racer.com/2021/04/13/imola-s...royal-funeral/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Sandy Eggo's North County
3,722 posts, read 1,435,410 times
Reputation: 5372
A post above, mentioned a "parade."

Well, that's what F1 has become. A parade.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2021, 06:18 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
65,615 posts, read 46,972,749 times
Reputation: 35875
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
A post above, mentioned a "parade."

Well, that's what F1 has become. A parade.

The race I watched in Bahrain was far from a parade. And I'd rathe watch a parade than a demolition derby.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2021, 07:53 AM
 
Location: South of Cakalaki
4,423 posts, read 2,802,135 times
Reputation: 3685
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The race I watched in Bahrain was far from a parade. And I'd rathe watch a parade than a demolition derby.
Those aren't the only two choices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2021, 12:29 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
65,615 posts, read 46,972,749 times
Reputation: 35875
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Those aren't the only two choices.


Never said they were, just been watching F1 since coverage was 10 minutes of Monaco bookended by Sumo Wrestling and Tiddlywinks, I still like it though I wish we could have Varsha, Hobbes, and Matchett back at the desk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top