U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 AM
 
8,819 posts, read 9,633,695 times
Reputation: 2516

Advertisements

Labonte18, heres one for ya ... pretty good read. Always liked Rudd, (The Iron Man) Think he should be in the HOF already, if for nothing else his starts alone.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...Jtz?li=BBnbfcL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2021, 02:01 PM
 
12,210 posts, read 9,540,029 times
Reputation: 15658
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Labonte18, heres one for ya ... pretty good read. Always liked Rudd, (The Iron Man) Think he should be in the HOF already, if for nothing else his starts alone.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...Jtz?li=BBnbfcL

I've seen a few interviews with Rudd in the past few years.. He seems.. Almost bitter in a way.. Not sure how to describe it.. I mean, Mark Martin, you can find some interviews with him.. You don't hear from him in NASCAR circles anymore, either.. But he's pretty active on Twitter.



He seems to have somewhat the same "I'm done, don't have any interest in anything to do with it" attitude as well, but.. Somehow Rudd seems different about it. Not sure 'bitter' is the right word..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2021, 02:55 PM
 
8,819 posts, read 9,633,695 times
Reputation: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've seen a few interviews with Rudd in the past few years.. He seems.. Almost bitter in a way.. Not sure how to describe it.. I mean, Mark Martin, you can find some interviews with him.. You don't hear from him in NASCAR circles anymore, either.. But he's pretty active on Twitter.



He seems to have somewhat the same "I'm done, don't have any interest in anything to do with it" attitude as well, but.. Somehow Rudd seems different about it. Not sure 'bitter' is the right word..
Yeah , I would probably say its more bitter sweet... got to be a tough transition . His story bout Bud Moore and David Pearson coming to the track and no one knew them and now him thinking that would be him... kind of sad. I coached football for 13 years straight, my life pretty much revolved around it, after my last game, I never set foot on a field or watched a game again... in a very small way I can relate to what he was saying about letting go of it and not going back. Hard to believe Rudd was on the tail end of his career when Harvick was a rookie. Remember their scuffle.... Harvick was quite the little punk back then. So should Rudd be in the HOF, in your opinion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2021, 07:23 PM
 
12,210 posts, read 9,540,029 times
Reputation: 15658
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeah , I would probably say its more bitter sweet... got to be a tough transition . His story bout Bud Moore and David Pearson coming to the track and no one knew them and now him thinking that would be him... kind of sad. I coached football for 13 years straight, my life pretty much revolved around it, after my last game, I never set foot on a field or watched a game again... in a very small way I can relate to what he was saying about letting go of it and not going back. Hard to believe Rudd was on the tail end of his career when Harvick was a rookie. Remember their scuffle.... Harvick was quite the little punk back then. So should Rudd be in the HOF, in your opinion?

Without question. From a pure stats standpoint.. He wasn't one of the greatest drivers.. And he never won a 'big' race or a championship, with the exception of the Brickyard in '97. But, here's the things that make him a HoFer.


1) 16 consecutive years with a win. Most of those years, ONLY one win, but still. 16 years. Good for a tie for 3rd with Rusty, Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch. Eclipsed only by Pearson and Petty.. All those around him? HoFers or no doubt HoFers in Johnson and Busch's cases.


2) Iron Man streak. More impressive based on his era. Hell, that Daytona wreck and racing with his eyes taped open ought to be enough.. But, 788(?) consecutive... And he voluntarily ended it. If he hadn't, he'd still have the record.



3) He's one of the 50 greatest drivers from 1998. If you made that list, how can you NOT be a HoFer?



4) 19 top 10 points finishes.


5) 2nd only to Petty in total starts.


You look at his stats alone. Borderline. The 5 above intangibles.. Those push him to no-doubt territory.



Now.. If you're asking should he have been elected already? well.. Based on the rules as they are.. I don't have a problem that he hasn't. His time should come in the next few years, hopefully. The problem is.. There's bigger names on the other line.



Personally.. I would have elected him before Earnhardt Jr.



But, look at the current set of nominees. Well, 2021 nominees.


Neil Bonnett
Jeff Burton
Carl Edwards
Jake Elder
Harry Gant
Harry Hyde
Banjo Matthews
Hershel McGriff
Ralph Moody
Larry Phillips
Kirk Shelmerdine




Rudd was in that list as well. the problem is.. I'd without question put Jake Elder, Harry Gant and Harry Hyde in from that list over anyone else on it. And with it being only 3 inductees now. Rudd may be waiting a while.


Everyone else on that list is deserving.. But only those three over Rudd. Problem is.. Next year, a whole new set becomes eligible. Will he make that top-3?




You talk about him being on the tail end of his career fighting with Harvick.. Hell, he raced another 7 years after that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 10:39 AM
 
8,819 posts, read 9,633,695 times
Reputation: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Without question. From a pure stats standpoint.. He wasn't one of the greatest drivers.. And he never won a 'big' race or a championship, with the exception of the Brickyard in '97. But, here's the things that make him a HoFer.


1) 16 consecutive years with a win. Most of those years, ONLY one win, but still. 16 years. Good for a tie for 3rd with Rusty, Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch. Eclipsed only by Pearson and Petty.. All those around him? HoFers or no doubt HoFers in Johnson and Busch's cases.


2) Iron Man streak. More impressive based on his era. Hell, that Daytona wreck and racing with his eyes taped open ought to be enough.. But, 788(?) consecutive... And he voluntarily ended it. If he hadn't, he'd still have the record.



3) He's one of the 50 greatest drivers from 1998. If you made that list, how can you NOT be a HoFer?



4) 19 top 10 points finishes.


5) 2nd only to Petty in total starts.


You look at his stats alone. Borderline. The 5 above intangibles.. Those push him to no-doubt territory.



Now.. If you're asking should he have been elected already? well.. Based on the rules as they are.. I don't have a problem that he hasn't. His time should come in the next few years, hopefully. The problem is.. There's bigger names on the other line.



Personally.. I would have elected him before Earnhardt Jr.



But, look at the current set of nominees. Well, 2021 nominees.


Neil Bonnett
Jeff Burton
Carl Edwards
Jake Elder
Harry Gant
Harry Hyde
Banjo Matthews
Hershel McGriff
Ralph Moody
Larry Phillips
Kirk Shelmerdine




Rudd was in that list as well. the problem is.. I'd without question put Jake Elder, Harry Gant and Harry Hyde in from that list over anyone else on it. And with it being only 3 inductees now. Rudd may be waiting a while.


Everyone else on that list is deserving.. But only those three over Rudd. Problem is.. Next year, a whole new set becomes eligible. Will he make that top-3?




You talk about him being on the tail end of his career fighting with Harvick.. Hell, he raced another 7 years after that.
Wow didnt realize that. I agree he should have gone before Jr and definately Carl Edwards. Think you nailed it. Again the good old days.... Robert Yates racing and the Havoline 28 car, and Dale in the 88 UPS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 11:44 AM
 
12,210 posts, read 9,540,029 times
Reputation: 15658
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Wow didnt realize that. I agree he should have gone before Jr and definately Carl Edwards. Think you nailed it. Again the good old days.... Robert Yates racing and the Havoline 28 car, and Dale in the 88 UPS.

One of Yates' biggest mistakes. Letting him go for Elliott Sadler. Don't get me wrong. Elliott was a fine driver. But the loss of Rudd's experience was the beginning of the end.


Jarrett and Sadler didn't mesh well and it brought the entire team down. Then replacing Sadler with Gilliland...



When he finally brought Rudd back, it was too late. From several perspectives.

Rudd technically, after the 2001 season, ran only 5 more full time seasons. He sat out 2006, though he did fill in for Stewart that year. That 2007 year in the 88 with Snickers was.. Very forgettable. he missed a number of races that year with injury.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
 
Location: South of Cakalaki
4,367 posts, read 2,712,302 times
Reputation: 3660
I personally thought Jr got in early, but I think he did not only for his racing but contributions to the sport, and, of course, being Sr's kid.

Rudd was a damn good driver. If you ever get the chance, listen to the Dale Jr. podcast with Rudd. He's still got a huge chip over Sr. "stealing" his ride at Childress.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
 
12,210 posts, read 9,540,029 times
Reputation: 15658
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I personally thought Jr got in early, but I think he did not only for his racing but contributions to the sport, and, of course, being Sr's kid.

Rudd was a damn good driver. If you ever get the chance, listen to the Dale Jr. podcast with Rudd. He's still got a huge chip over Sr. "stealing" his ride at Childress.

I've watched that on youtube. and, perhaps that influences my feeling that Rudd is somewhat bitter overall.


Look at someone like Ernie Irvan.. If you've seen interviews with him.. He's totally at peace with his career. Same with the aforementioned Mark Martin.. Who legit has some reasons to be bitter with the penalties possibly costing him championships. Rudd gives a different vibe.


There's a name.. Ernie. Does HE deserve HoF consideration?


Consideration.. Absolutely.. And, if you go with my "50 greatest drivers should all be in".. He's one of them.


Short career, tho. And he's certainly one of the ultimate "What if" drivers.


And.. Tim Richmond.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top