Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2021, 09:53 PM

17,437 posts, read 15,014,207 times

Advertisements

Anyone following this series on YouTube?

They have an old DW hauler that was just packed to the gills with memorabilia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZYDgCVBa0k

Latest video is of them unpacking it. I find it absolutely fascinating. There's just so much history in that thing.

I'll only give one spoiler, the best thing they pulled out of it, IMO, is the birthday card to DW from his parents. That's gonna be special to him, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 11:02 AM

8,875 posts, read 13,858,773 times
I saw the video where the guy that runs the shop there showed the hauler to the video guy and his girl. I was surprised at the few things they took out of it then. Looks like they stuffed the truck with the contents of DarWal Racing when they folded the shop and then forgot about it over time.

Didn't know they took it a step further and emptied all the stuff out.

I'll have to watch this when I have a few minutes.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:27 AM

17,437 posts, read 15,014,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I saw the video where the guy that runs the shop there showed the hauler to the video guy and his girl. I was surprised at the few things they took out of it then. Looks like they stuffed the truck with the contents of DarWal Racing when they folded the shop and then forgot about it over time.

Didn't know they took it a step further and emptied all the stuff out.

I'll have to watch this when I have a few minutes.

Ok.. I've had this posted a few days.. So.. Fair warning for anyone.. spoilers ahead.

yeah, they actually get Darrell on the phone while they're going through it and he tells a bit about the history of the truck.. In typical DW style.

I'll mention another thing that they pulled out of it that surprised me.. Phoenix raceway presented Darrell with a trophy during his Victory Tour. A really, really cool trophy. Sad that it was just.. Sitting in this old hauler.

There's lots of stuff in there that DW, if he doesn't have a place for, should loan out to the Hall of Fame or something. Just.. Things that need to be displayed.

They also found a case of these..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143469728243

So, I suspect the price on that, which isn't really high.. Will take a nosedive.

But there's just so much.. Lots of it is like an early 90's time capsule. They pulled out what had to have been 20 Busch Pole Awards. Many of them from 1981 when he won 11.

Something else historical.. there was a trophy for being fastest in second round qualifying. How many people remember that? When the fastest car might start, IIRC, 26th. It was kinda common that when they did the second round of qualifying that if the weather were significantly different, everyone who ran the second day might beat the pole speed.

There was a trophy for go kart racing that he won in 1961. Darrell would have been about 14 at the time.

The biggest thing I'll say about DW.. he stuck around about 5 years too long. He should have retired after the 1995 season or so.. At the latest, after 1997. Then he still could have come back and filled in for Steve Park and we could look at his career from the standpoint that either he retired at just the right time or too early. Those last 5 years really tarnished his legacy they were so bad.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:51 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,024,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
.......The biggest thing I'll say about DW.. he stuck around about 5 years too long. He should have retired after the 1995 season or so.. At the latest, after 1997. Then he still could have come back and filled in for Steve Park and we could look at his career from the standpoint that either he retired at just the right time or too early. Those last 5 years really tarnished his legacy they were so bad.
Personally, I don't think that DW was the only driver to do that. When people mention drivers that stuck around "too long", behind the wheel, that is, the first driver that comes to my mind is Richard Petty.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:42 AM

9,431 posts, read 9,711,143 times
I really enjoyed that video.

If you haven't already done so, you got to listen to Dale Jr's Download Podcast with DW. It's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing