Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 08:30 AM

5,669 posts, read 4,579,206 times

Advertisements

It was better than I thought it would be.

The intro was totally cringe worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 08:53 AM

9,867 posts, read 10,767,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Nor do I think the entertainment venue will help. I don't see hardcore fans enjoying the rap and hip-hop genre. It seems NASCAR is doing everything it can to get rid of anything traditional.
Yeah you nailed it! With that pathetic display NASCAR has officially shown us the door.

Steve Phelps sent a letter to the fans.... https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...-steve-phelps/

My response...
What a disgrace, Dale Earnhardt would be rolling over in his grave along with half the Hall Of Fame. I actually liked the racing format, thought Ty Dillon provided the most exciting racing of the whole event, only to get penalized for it. The Hendrick guys, (I won't call them p*ssies) but Bowman appeared to do everything but try to win to avoid running into Wallace. The qualifying races were fun to watch, the main event... completely lame. I can only assume that a lot of the drivers didn't want to start the season pissing other drivers off in an exhibition race... pretty sad.

As far as the broadcast / production was concerned, thought it was an overt, blatant, pandering disgrace. I walked away after lap 76 the "Halftime Show" started and never came back. As if all the rap wasn't bad enough... the camera panning the scattered crowd to show us middle aged woman jiving to ice tea made me feel a little queasy. Mike Joy , Boyer and Tony slobbering all over each other, ad-nauseum, about how superfragilistic the whole pathetic display was just too much to take.

At the end of the day there really isn't anything (new car) included to entice me to tune in and endure anymore of this woke, pc, bull sh*t!

Old 02-07-2022, 09:35 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,901,467 times
You all liked that?

Ok, the first three qualifier heats, not a single pass for the lead. The 4th one, hell, at least that saved things by being comedy.

What? 2 passes for the lead in the feature? If we don't count Reddick falling out and getting passed.

And those stands didn't look overly full, either.

Look, they could have done this at Bowman Gray and saved a butt-ton of money. I think the racing would have been just as bad, but they'd have gone an hour and a half instead of cross country.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:10 AM

8,873 posts, read 13,833,498 times
I watched about seven laps with 75 to go or so. Not really enough time to offer a solid review, but I wasn't impressed enough to stay with it.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:04 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,788,558 times
I enjoyed the clash a lot more than I expected I would. What a lot of people don't understand is that the whole point of this event was to attract potential new and young fans that normally wouldn't tune into to a NASCAR race. The future of the sport depends on it because the old boomers and the "core" fan base (if that's what you want to call it) is an absolute embarrassment to the sport. No wonder NASCAR is doing everything they can to attract new fans.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:05 AM
Status: "I'm not MAGA, I'm an American!" (set 22 hours ago)

9,346 posts, read 9,642,404 times
I watched it using my DVR so I could FF through most of the cringe worthy stuff that silas777 correctly mentioned (didn't watch halftime due to its pandering). I also agree with you about the 48 & 23.

But the race itself was better than expected, I was expecting a wreck fest. It was what one would expect of a non-points, exhibition race, in a new venue with a new car.

The real racin' starts in 13 days.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:32 AM

5,097 posts, read 4,860,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post

As far as the broadcast / production was concerned, thought it was an overt, blatant, pandering disgrace. I walked away after lap 76 the "Halftime Show" started and never came back. As if all the rap wasn't bad enough... the camera panning the scattered crowd to show us middle aged woman jiving to ice tea made me feel a little queasy. Mike Joy , Boyer and Tony slobbering all over each other, ad-nauseum, about how superfragilistic the whole pathetic display was just too much to take.

Odd how they had Blake Shelton for a cameo appearance but then some rapper as mid-race entertainment. They should have done the opposite. T
Thankfully I watched it on my Tevo dvr so I was able to fast forward through the crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I watched it using my DVR so I could FF through most of the cringe worthy stuff that silas777 correctly mentioned (didn't watch halftime due to its pandering).
The real racin' starts in 13 days.
I only watch recorded races anymore. FF through commercials and even boring stretches of races.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:36 AM

4,817 posts, read 6,822,574 times
What little I watched of this (out of pure dumb curiosity) I can say that I've driven faster in my school's parking lot back in the day.

1/4 mile tracks are made for sprint cars. Period.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:28 PM

5,669 posts, read 4,579,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You all liked that?

Ok, the first three qualifier heats, not a single pass for the lead. The 4th one, hell, at least that saved things by being comedy.

What? 2 passes for the lead in the feature? If we don't count Reddick falling out and getting passed.

And those stands didn't look overly full, either.

Look, they could have done this at Bowman Gray and saved a butt-ton of money. I think the racing would have been just as bad, but they'd have gone an hour and a half instead of cross country.
I didn't hate it. Was it great, no. Especially the non-racing parts of it. But watching the first practice, I thought it was going to be horrible. There was very little passing for the lead, but lots of bumping and banging behind them.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:42 PM

9,867 posts, read 10,767,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Odd how they had Blake Shelton for a cameo appearance but then some rapper as mid-race entertainment. They should have done the opposite. T
Thankfully I watched it on my Tevo dvr so I was able to fast forward through the crap.

I only watch recorded races anymore. FF through commercials and even boring stretches of races.
Haha, yeah, the token "country" guy to appease the old fans.

Evidently the Brainchild of this sh*t show was 30-year-old Ben Kennedy (son of Lesa France Kennedy) who apparently now holds the title of NASCAR's Senior Vice President of Strategy and Innovation.

I read an AP article declaring what a huge success this was considering the big risk. Not based on attendance (obviously) or tv rating but on the fact that a couple of drivers were spotted high fiving young Ben in a corridor in the bowels of the coliseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing