Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,206 times

Advertisements

How do people watch nascar whats fun about it??? Are there any city people that watch Nascar?? I've only seen people that live in the middle of nowhere say they like it (or country people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:05 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
How do people watch nascar whats fun about it??? Are there any city people that watch Nascar?? I've only seen people that live in the middle of nowhere say they like it (or country people).
Before becoming a stock car racing fan, I used to wonder the same thing.

Almost every NASCAR fan that I know started watching stock car racing when someone they knew was racing at a local track. For me it was a few of my friends from high school. For others, it was the guy who lived down the street. Other people knew the sponsors, and would go to see how their buddies' driver/team was doing. Once I knew they were going to be racing, I would head to the track to watch them compete. It was a lot of fun to see them do well, and after going for a while, I got to know some of the other drivers. I started rooting for them, and when they moved up to another series, I just kept following their races. Eventually some of them (Kevin Harvick, David Gilliland, Ron Hornaday, and others) ended up in one or more of the national touring series (Craftsman Truck, Busch, and Nextel --Sprint-- Cup).

I don't go to the Cup races because they are too commercial for me, but I do enjoy the lower divisions.

As I started watching racing, I could see the strategies the teams were using, and started to learn what took place behind the scenes. I think being aware of these things makes racing a lot more interesting than just watching the cars go round and round.

Many of the smaller local tracks offer racing programs that are much more exciting for the spectators than the big races. There are several tracks I've been to that had figure eights, demolition derbies, and train races. One track I've been to even has school bus races on occasion. There are sometimes other types of special events, as well. Some tracks offer local high school competitions, Concerts, Motocross races, or Monster Truck demonstrations. Many of these programs are provided to increase the excitement for the spectator, and in my opinion, they work.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:42 AM

319 posts, read 634,481 times
Quote:
Yeah, I live in the same city as you and I love it. Up until this coming year, they had NASCAR right at the Milwaukee Mile every year.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
I watch it. My grandfather grew up on nascar. my mom grew up on it and so do i. But like everyone else we the fans know that the sport is dying. Not just because of the how these teams use and hurt the environment but cause they've screwed everything. Owners points and crap. Sports dying cuz of the changes.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Yes, in NASCAR they race cars, and us city slickers drive these mechanical metal boxes called cars, we drive them on these ribbons carved out of the earth called roads, and we drive to the tracks and enjoy the hell out of ourselves.
If you do a little research you will find many tracks on the Cup circuit are not too far from large metro areas: Chicago, Kansas, Charlotte, Las Vegas, just to name a few.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 AM

10 posts, read 29,759 times
ahh yes. ever been? feeling the 42 racing engines in your lungs is like having a second heartbeat. smelling the smoke of sqealing tires as your least favorite driver skids into the wall. Ahh, i want to go back again. Go Dale Jr 88. the thing is, on the interstate, you would se me goin to the inside lane, hugging the white line around a curve, and when i'm behind a real slow car, i warm my tires, then when they pull of the road, i gun it.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 29,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Before becoming a stock car racing fan, I used to wonder the same thing.

Almost every NASCAR fan that I know started watching stock car racing when someone they knew was racing at a local track. For me it was a few of my friends from high school. For others, it was the guy who lived down the street. Other people knew the sponsors, and would go to see how their buddies' driver/team was doing. Once I knew they were going to be racing, I would head to the track to watch them compete. It was a lot of fun to see them do well, and after going for a while, I got to know some of the other drivers. I started rooting for them, and when they moved up to another series, I just kept following their races. Eventually some of them (Kevin Harvick, David Gilliland, Ron Hornaday, and others) ended up in one or more of the national touring series (Craftsman Truck, Busch, and Nextel --Sprint-- Cup).

I don't go to the Cup races because they are too commercial for me, but I do enjoy the lower divisions.

As I started watching racing, I could see the strategies the teams were using, and started to learn what took place behind the scenes. I think being aware of these things makes racing a lot more interesting than just watching the cars go round and round.

Many of the smaller local tracks offer racing programs that are much more exciting for the spectators than the big races. There are several tracks I've been to that had figure eights, demolition derbies, and train races. One track I've been to even has school bus races on occasion. There are sometimes other types of special events, as well. Some tracks offer local high school competitions, Concerts, Motocross races, or Monster Truck demonstrations. Many of these programs are provided to increase the excitement for the spectator, and in my opinion, they work.

well said, theres nothing like the felling of being at your local track, whether it be dirt or pavement, the guys you see goin around that oval are the guys you go to school with. watching them drive that car the best they can, keeping her from hittin the wall or causing a wreck that would cost them. and of course, you're routing for 'em, you wouldn't be routing for the annoying kid thats always talking crap about people, especially when your friend is about to pass him. then you get to rub it in his face the following week at school.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 PM

97 posts, read 274,868 times
Default Luv NASCAR

I live over in Ocala,Florida and I go to all the Daytona races. And even the Pre Season Fan Fest January 15,16 for the autograph sessions. See ya there.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 AM

148 posts, read 550,340 times
Oh yeah the sound of 43 cars when they start the engines. My first race was darlington that is a great track. went to lowes last year okay but to long of a track for me.Still had fun though. going back to darlington again this year. Everyone has their own sport that they love. Which is great we all dont want to be like robots and like the same thing.We are still free to choice what we like . LIFE would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Thank you troops past ,present and future for keeping our freedom of choice for us.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Am I a fan of NASCAR? No. Never will be as long as the WRC, F1, BTCC, DTM, etc, is around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing