Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

Nascar seems to be really inconsistent in when they decide to call a race due to rain this year.

Today, they barely got the tarps on the cars before they threw the trophy at Joey Lagano. I checked the weather map on my computer, and it looked like mostly light, scattered rain in the area with a decent window before more, heavy rain would arrive. It looked like if they waited a little bit, they could have finished the race.

Meanwhile, back in May, they seemingly waited hours in constant downpours before ending the Lowes race and giving the win to David Reutimann.

I understand the need to call races, but I do not like this inconsistency. It is a nice feel good story for Lagano to win his first race, but today he just really didn't deserve it. He was probably a couple laps of running out of gas, and was an also-ran for most of the day. It looked like it was going to end up a good three way shootout between Gordon, Kurt Busch, and Tony Stewart. With another caution, Jimmie Johnson appeared to have a car to give a run too.

Just seems odd to me that they didn't wait it out a bit longer. They had plenty of dailight, and only needed to get in another 30 or so laps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM

555 posts, read 1,573,604 times
I think that it all depends on circumstances. At Lowes, the track has lights, which is why they waited so long before the decided that they couldn't continue. New Hampshire doesn't have lights, and by the time the rain stopped and they dried the track, it would be too late to restart the race. Plus they only had about 25 laps, so it wouldn't be worth the 3 hours of drying the track.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
I guess you are right wGoshen, I was surprised today though. One minute they were racing and I was working and the next minute there was Joey. I believe they have it under control and they are consistent with how they determine the ending of a race when there is rain!!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
I think that it all depends on circumstances. At Lowes, the track has lights, which is why they waited so long before the decided that they couldn't continue. New Hampshire doesn't have lights, and by the time the rain stopped and they dried the track, it would be too late to restart the race. Plus they only had about 25 laps, so it wouldn't be worth the 3 hours of drying the track.
I was thinking about daylight too. However, they had some time to wait it out. Maybe not enough, and I figure that went into their thought process. However, just 25 laps would have definitely changed the results, and resulted in better racing to the finish.

I guess I am just disappointed the top cars didn't have a chance to battle it out today.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:44 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
I like Lagano and I'm glad he got his first win, but that's wrong to torture Ruetimman for 2 hours but give it 10 minutes and declare Joey the winner, lights or not. No coincedence Joey was running at his "hometown track"?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
I too was disappointed and thought they should of waited alittle while longer because the outcome sure would of been different.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,831 times
It is what it is...Thats part of racing that you have to factor in every single week. Cant control it. Willing to bet next week in Daytona there will be some sort of rain factor (again) ... Like #24 said, its not how you win, its the win that counts...
Congrats Joey!! Youngest Sprint Cup winner in history...And he's not old enough to drink & celebrate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing