Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,874,301 times

Advertisements

You know it's a sad day when the stands at 'Dega have lots of empty seats! You can't blame it all on the economy. There's NO WAY I'd spend money to go to another race at the best track on the circuit to watch half the race be a freight train!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,575,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
You know it's a sad day when the stands at 'Dega have lots of empty seats! You can't blame it all on the economy. There's NO WAY I'd spend money to go to another race at the best track on the circuit to watch half the race be a freight train!
I just returned home from a race at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway "Bullring." As I sat there last night watching the race, I could see the "big track" in the distance, and it looked like the stands were full. The thing is, there wasn't anyone there. It seems they have colored the seats in a random pattern, that, from a distance, makes it look like those seats are occupied. I guess it's a clever trick for the cameras.

Anyway, the race I went to was a short track race sponsored by the SRL, not NASCAR. It is the series that is the successor to NASCAR's elite division, Southwest Series. It's called the SRL Spears Manufacturing Southwest Tour. Last night was the final race of the season, and it was a good night of racing action. Besides the SWT, there were also Legend Cars, Bombers, Midgets, and Supermodifieds. Lot of fun racing action was enjoyed by a large crowd, even though it was halloween.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:04 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,256,789 times
You called it jdavid! The seats are painted to make it look like it is full of people. Pretty clever but still sad it has to be done that way.
Good to hear the races out your way are still fun jdavid!! Always enjoyed them myself too!!
The technology on these cup cars has outreached Telladega. That track just goes to fast. The cars are going to fly at the speeds they are going. Someone is going to get killed there sooner or later. Perhaps the wing had something to do with yesterdays crash...not sure. I didn't notice the one flap open either??? I'm sure we will hear their findings but regardless this track is just to fast. If NASCAR slows them down the race is boring. Maybe take some of the banking out of the track?? Not sure of anything that would make Telladega a safe track anymore...sigh...
NASCAR's car of tomorrow is not as safe as they seem to think--yesterdays crash proved that! If that car had caught fire Newman would not have survived because the roof had collapsed and was against his helmet--he could not get out. Scary....

Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM

555 posts, read 1,570,456 times
Less than a quarter of the race was run single file. There was over 60 lead changes and a lot of side by side racing. The decision to run single file was made by the drivers, not by NASCAR. They have done this for the last two years.

It was a good race, but the 3 wide racing that Talladega had has obviously spoiled some of the fans. I'm wondering if any of you watched NASCAR before 2001. I have been watching since the mid 90's, and single file runs and 5 car packs were the norm.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,057,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
Less than a quarter of the race was run single file. There was over 60 lead changes and a lot of side by side racing. The decision to run single file was made by the drivers, not by NASCAR. They have done this for the last two years.

It was a good race, but the 3 wide racing that Talladega had has obviously spoiled some of the fans. I'm wondering if any of you watched NASCAR before 2001. I have been watching since the mid 90's, and single file runs and 5 car packs were the norm.
Been watching since '82..........it's starting to suck!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,149,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You called it jdavid! The seats are painted to make it look like it is full of people. Pretty clever but still sad it has to be done that way.
Good to hear the races out your way are still fun jdavid!! Always enjoyed them myself too!!
The technology on these cup cars has outreached Telladega. That track just goes to fast. The cars are going to fly at the speeds they are going. Someone is going to get killed there sooner or later. Perhaps the wing had something to do with yesterdays crash...not sure. I didn't notice the one flap open either??? I'm sure we will hear their findings but regardless this track is just to fast. If NASCAR slows them down the race is boring. Maybe take some of the banking out of the track?? Not sure of anything that would make Telladega a safe track anymore...sigh...
NASCAR's car of tomorrow is not as safe as they seem to think--yesterdays crash proved that! If that car had caught fire Newman would not have survived because the roof had collapsed and was against his helmet--he could not get out. Scary....

What Newman's crash proved .was how safe those cars really are !
After a wreck like that, he walks away uninjured.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:17 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,874,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post

Went to my first Winston Cup Grand National Division race in 1977 and have been a fan since as it morphed into Winston Cup, Nextel Cup, Sprint Cup (a/k/a the Toilet Bowl). There is no way the racing product is anywhere near the level of racing it has been in the past. I LIKE restrictor plate races. Except for the failed experiment at Loudon (you'll remember they tried plates there), plate racing is exciting and brings out different qualities in the drivers. There's a reason why people like Sr, Jr, Mikey and Gordon could win many plate races and only some bad luck kept them from winning more than they did!

However, that lends to my current argument that these guys are not racers today. They are merely drivers of finely tuned engineering marvels. The "big one" that everyone discusses is no dount partially the the result of the lack of cooperation (give & take) by the drivers and the fact that the media is hyping the carnage in their constant coverage of WHEN and not IF the wreck will happen.

Now you've got guys hiding in the back, freight trains by choice rather than capabilities of the cars, and more & more empty seats. Hmmm. I see the correlation. As Nascar ages and the racers retire, the quality is worsening!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,256,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. That was "luck" on Newmans part. With a track like Dega there isn't a car that is safe---for the drivers or fans!! Just my personal opinion.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The roll abr also showed now close it was to a disaster. I also saw they result of going bakwards with the wing.They have to do soneting because it was the drivers compalinign of bumping and what it does in the coners. i am sure many crash happy fans could careless until someone dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing