Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:13 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times

Advertisements

Racing in ANY FORM should never finish under a yellow. NEVER. Points or no points. I have never seen a race end under yellow at my local dirt tracks. You would think that if a couple of podunk dirt tracks could get it right, NASCAR could too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I think it will help keep the cars from going airborne in a reverse situation, but I was asking solely because I thought I recalled NASCAR announcing they planned to get rid of the wing.

And about my opinion. I'm sorry that I can't post something that says NASCAR is doing the best job ever and there's nothing else they can possibly do to make it better.

I am not too happy that they expanded the the ways any driver can get into the Shootout. I was also not pleased that with as much as they are trying to winback fans, they still have a horrible way of ending races under a caution.

I think these are two valid opinions that need not be construed as whiney or over the top. But critique as you deem necessary. I've got broad shoulders!
You are correct and according to NASCAR.com NASCAR will be testing the spoiler at Talladega and said it could be in place as soon as early spring.
I don't like to see a race end under caution either but it is a part of the sport. There has to be a balance between what is most important, driver safety or a fan pleasing finish. What I have observed is the driver leading the race before the two lap shootout is often the winner. Races finishing under caution are rare so I would rather see drivers live to race another day. I find it somewhat hypocritcal that lackluster endings in many other sports are acceptable, yet not in NASCAR

Old 02-07-2010, 01:16 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Feel free to read other threads then. I know what I like and what I don't like in racing.

- Having coffee breaks after 25 laps is not racing!
- Finishing a race under caution is not racing!

Amen!!! Especially with the finishing under caution Biggest pet peeve of mine. O and Owners points ruins it too

Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 AM

555 posts, read 1,573,485 times
Ya'll asked for it. You wanted relaxed rules, and what did it get ya? A big crash at the end.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
Ya'll asked for it. You wanted relaxed rules, and what did it get ya? A big crash at the end.
Said that right. I wonder how exciting these fans would think it is if it were them bouncing off the wall @ 180mph?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Exactly and if when they weren't relaxed. They find a way to crash.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 AM

319 posts, read 634,445 times
I think they need to revise the whole point scheme anyway. They need to make it so that I can look at the standings and calculate what my guy has to do in the next race to move up the standings without having to enter some complex formula. Oh, and get rid of the stupid bonus points for leading a lap. My suggestion would be to award one point for each place you finish and then score it like golf. So the guy that finishes first gets 1 point and the guy that finishes 43rd get 43 points. You get -1 point for leading the most laps and that's it for points. Lowest point total at the end of the year wins. No Chase or any other playoff format. It'd be easy for fans to calculate (besides getting past the whole "lower point total is better" thing) instead of whatever formula they use now. Or, they could flip it. 1st place gets 43 points, 43rd place gets 1 point etc.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
I think they need to revise the whole point scheme anyway. They need to make it so that I can look at the standings and calculate what my guy has to do in the next race to move up the standings without having to enter some complex formula. Oh, and get rid of the stupid bonus points for leading a lap. My suggestion would be to award one point for each place you finish and then score it like golf. So the guy that finishes first gets 1 point and the guy that finishes 43rd get 43 points. You get -1 point for leading the most laps and that's it for points. Lowest point total at the end of the year wins. No Chase or any other playoff format. It'd be easy for fans to calculate (besides getting past the whole "lower point total is better" thing) instead of whatever formula they use now. Or, they could flip it. 1st place gets 43 points, 43rd place gets 1 point etc.
thats almost like how cross country races are. In HS and College the teams race and the top 5 from each team score. Teams can have more than 5 guys. Those extra guys become spoilers. Anyways what place you finish is your score. Team with the lowest score wins

Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 PM

The point system isn't really that difficult, it is designed to reward consistency as well as performance. However, to encourage more competition I think it should be made so no one who finishes in the top 5 can earn more points than the person who finished one or two places ahead.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:59 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The point system isn't really that difficult, it is designed to reward consistency as well as performance. However, to encourage more competition I think it should be made so no one who finishes in the top 5 can earn more points than the person who finished one or two places ahead.
The old point system also rewarded consistency. I forget the year, but Terry Labonte has zero wins and was the point leader for a lot of the season, but got beat out by Gordon because he racked up the wins. The chase is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing