Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,866,686 times

Advertisements

Sonata. I know a lot of people who have Hyundai's in general and Sonatas in particular and not one who doesn't love them. They keep getting better and better. You cannot beat the value or the warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,409,455 times
In your price and horsepower range, you should consider the Hyudai Azera. The base model starts at about $25,000 with a 3.3L 260hp V6. The next level up starts about $30,000 with a 3.8L 283hp V6. These numbers are for the new 2011 model.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,600,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I love this forum.

OP - "Here is my list of cars I am considering. NO DOMESTICS!"

Everyone else - "Here's a bunch of cars not on your list. Get a Ford or a GM."
No kidding. I really didn't want to get into a discussion of what I don't like about domestic brands. I could list all the reasons, but that would be taking this thread off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
250+HP and FWD? Torque-steer and plowing ahoy.
I drive a car that gets 250+ Hp and is FWD. I observe minimal torque steer at best. Some manufacturers are just better than others at dealing with this issue.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 AM

968 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
No kidding. I really didn't want to get into a discussion of what I don't like about domestic brands. I could list all the reasons, but that would be taking this thread off topic.

I drive a car that gets 250+ Hp and is FWD. I observe minimal torque steer at best. Some manufacturers are just better than others at dealing with this issue.
hmmm, i would tweak that by saying luxury and sports car manufacturers are better at dealing with that than others, but that will also drive your price up. and i'm right there with you on domestics, they are not for me.

coming from an acura TL you may be very disappointed at what you find in the cars that are not as pricey and well appointed. i've driven a 2008 TL, and it felt really good. the camry will NOT hold the road as well as your acura, the honda accord will drive similar (go figure) but won't be as nice inside, altima has the HP, but doesn't feel like it uses it. or at least not the way the mazda 6 did.

i've never driven a sonata but i have driven the other four. mazda 6, and the accord are my top picks for engaged driving and amenities respectively. the sonata i would throw in there for looks. avoid the camry but at least check out the altima without expectations of power on tap.

the winner for me in looks, interior and speed is mazda 6.

P.S. i have a turbo in my car and seeing lower gas prices that i can't have, annoys me sometimes.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 06-11-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,160,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

I can't speak for the OP, but many on the left wing will refuse to buy a domestic brand because of their opposition to the wars, desire to be for American to be more like Japan/Europe, or afraid of looking "too patriotic" among their liberal circle. Again, I'm not saying this is necessarily what the OP thinks, but it will answer many of the questions raised here as to why certain people will automatically refuse to drive an American-made car.

You can't blame people for wondering. If you make a blanket statement "No Domestics" without explaining why, of course people are going to wonder. Especially when certain domestics fit the criteria that you claimed that you wanted out of a car.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,511,849 times
Not to drag the thread OT and ignore me if you want to, but folks who are against buying a domestic, why do you recommend buying a Mazda 6? The 6 rides on a version of Ford's CD3 platform that underpins multiple Ford products including the Fusion. The engine is also a Ford from the "Cyclone" family and is essentially identical to the Duratec 3.7. The transmission is also the same trans used in multiple Ford (and GM as it was a joint venture) products. So, it has a domestic platform and a domestic engine and trans (as well as multiple other components soft and hard), yet you still whole-heartedly recommend it and consider it "not a domestic".

I like the Mazda 6 and think it's a great car, but folks who right off the Fusion because it's a domestic badge (and offers arguably more content with Sync and is available in AWD) are more than happy to recommend a vehicle that is virtually a clone from a company essentially controlled by Ford.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:11 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,160,446 times
Great point NJGOAT...it does raise a question. Not only did Ford have controlling interest when the Mazda6 was developed, they still are a major shareholder. You're right, it doesn't make much sense to have that on the list but automatically ban Fords..hmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not to drag the thread OT and ignore me if you want to, but folks who are against buying a domestic, why do you recommend buying a Mazda 6? The 6 rides on a version of Ford's CD3 platform that underpins multiple Ford products including the Fusion. The engine is also a Ford from the "Cyclone" family and is essentially identical to the Duratec 3.7. The transmission is also the same trans used in multiple Ford (and GM as it was a joint venture) products. So, it has a domestic platform and a domestic engine and trans (as well as multiple other components soft and hard), yet you still whole-heartedly recommend it and consider it "not a domestic".

I like the Mazda 6 and think it's a great car, but folks who right off the Fusion because it's a domestic badge (and offers arguably more content with Sync and is available in AWD) are more than happy to recommend a vehicle that is virtually a clone from a company essentially controlled by Ford.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,600,913 times
I'm certainly not expecting any of these cars to match my TL in overall quality. The Accord drives similar to the TL, just not as sporty and the interior is more conservative. The Camry is nice, but has zero fun factor. I would get tired of driving it everyday. And I'm still weary of buying a Toyota given all of their recent mechanical problems. (Lucky for Toyota that BP's oil rig exploded and drew attention away from them.) The Altima has a strong engine, but I was very turned off by the interior. The Sonata seemed to have a nice mix of style, sportiness and luxury, although some of the materials were a bit cheap looking and I still don't know how the Turbo version drives. I haven't driven the Mazda 6 and now that I know it's essentially a Ford, I'll scratch it off my list.

Although I'm a liberal, my refusal to buy a domestic brand isn't politically motivated. And as someone who knows lots of liberals, I have yet to meet any who fit the profile NSX described earlier. The ones I associate with oppose the war, but don't let it decide what car to buy nor do they have a desire to see America be more like Europe or Japan. They're also NOT afraid of looking too patriotic. Given how strongly they support the American worker and unions, I'm sure many would take great pride in knowing their purchase of an American car was helping their fellow Americans stay employed.

Here's a novel thought as to why someone might not want a domestic brand. Maybe he and his family have had bad experiences will all three brands in the past. Maybe he's had friends and relatives who've worked at those companies and heard firsthand why not to buy their cars. Maybe he's just not that impressed with the quality of the products they put out. Maybe he doesn't think the quality has caught up with the foreign brands. Maybe he thinks there's more to a car than just its list of features, even if that list meets all his requirements.

I really don't understand why people can't accept a person's preference at face value without having to dig deeper to learn where it comes from. If someone said they didn't want a Japanese car, I may wonder if they have a problem with Asians, but I won't bother asking. I'll simply answer their question and just accept that they have their reasons for that restriction, even if I may not agree with it.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:19 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,511,849 times
Denny, my post wasn't necessarily directed at you, more at the folks saying "domestics are garbage...buy a Mazda 6". Your reasons are your reasons alone and I'm sure none of us will sway your opinion either way. Just as you can list multiple reasons to not buy domestics, I'm sure I could tell you some stories about the imports and their "quality".

However, I would be remiss to not tell you that even in light of your reasons, both GM and Ford, especially Ford have come a long way in the past few years. What I say probably won't matter, but the Fusion is currently considered the best car in the class of cars you are looking at and is the reason so many people are plugging it.

With all of that aside, I do feel that your choices are solid ones and overall the turbo Sonata would still be my pick of the cars you are considering. The Accord is still one of the benchmark sedans in the segment, but Honda seems to be stumbling lately and the Accord just isn't as sharp as the others out there.

I'm not sure what your feeling was overall on the Subaru, but it is still a solid recommendation and would be worth your time to take a look.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,810,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As far as domestics, I honestly think people looking for a sedan that meets the OP's criteria are remiss to not at least consider the Ford Fusion. It is the "car of the year" whatever that's worth and is consistently ranked as one of the best sedans you can buy. The OP obviously has his reasons, but the Fusion is at least worth a mention.
Maybe the OP is like a lot of people (me included) who'd rather push anything than drive a Ford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive