Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktn View Post
With the economy the way it is, especially NY's economy, I'm betting there won't be much wiggle room for negotiations. I can never figure this out. I'm speeding, excessively, get caught, now how do I get out of it. Huh? Don't speed, cop don't care, can keep reading his newspaper and your not out any money. I go 5mph over at times but usually set the cruise at the speed limit, no place I'm ever in such a hurry to get to.

Besides an accident where I'm the cause of said accident will slow me down more than just going the speed limit, maybe even by a couple years. I hear guys complain all the time at other forums, I got a ticket for spinnin my tires, stop light drag racing, running 60 in a residential 35 and always the same, how do I get out of it, what can I do. No sympathy here, man up take whats coming and move on. I got a ticket for a 50 in a 35 on a country two lane nothing road at 2am, told him I was thinking about some jobs I had going and just let my mind wander off to far and completely forgot about the speed zone. Took my ticket, did my time at traffic school plus the $100 traffic school fee.

Can't seem to find an ounce of sympathy for you, 90 in a 65, that's not something you can just say "whoops" to. You knew you were speeding plain and simple, don't think they should accomodate you either, 270 miles sounds like a pretty good lesson. My wife got a speeding ticket for 15 over, she complained and asked me what to do. I told her the same thing I'm telling you, she got no sympathy either. She went to traffic school, spent an evening doing that and another day in a very busy court room to find out she could go to traffic school. I just laughed at her when she complained, kinda like I'm doing right now thinking about you! Yeah, she said I was mean too.

Good luck and be safe,
I don't think people who get tickets have a right to complain. I don't complain when I get one (though it's been a while for me now).

The OP wasn't complaining, just asking a question. I noticed a couple of people have taken his question as an opportunity to jump on him. You guys seem to like to lecture....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 05:10 PM

18 posts, read 45,076 times
Dazzleman,

His first post was a question, what came after that......

"I am planning to plead NOT GUILTY but only problem is court is 270 miles from my residence!! It means spending entire day going n coming back."

Kinda sounds like complaining to me. Kinda sounds like not NY states problem that you were speeding excessively 270 miles from home.

Not complaining would have been something like, "well I'm going to plead not guilty so it looks like I better book a motel for the night because I'll have to drive up there for court." or "I'm just going to plead guilty because if I plead not guilty I'll have to drive up there for court and miss time from work".

Not lecturing, but if you get caught breaking the law what happens after that or anything that will cause you loss of time at work, your life, or an inconvenience is in fact your own fault.

Again, no sympathy or tears here......

Old 06-12-2010, 05:42 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pktn View Post
Dazzleman,

His first post was a question, what came after that......

"I am planning to plead NOT GUILTY but only problem is court is 270 miles from my residence!! It means spending entire day going n coming back."

Kinda sounds like complaining to me. Kinda sounds like not NY states problem that you were speeding excessively 270 miles from home.

Not complaining would have been something like, "well I'm going to plead not guilty so it looks like I better book a motel for the night because I'll have to drive up there for court." or "I'm just going to plead guilty because if I plead not guilty I'll have to drive up there for court and miss time from work".

Not lecturing, but if you get caught breaking the law what happens after that or anything that will cause you loss of time at work, your life, or an inconvenience is in fact your own fault.

Again, no sympathy or tears here......
I guess you're right. It didn't sound like real complaining. I've heard so much worse, and like you, I have little sympathy. I speed, as does most people I know, but if you get a ticket, you shouldn't complain.

I don't see anything wrong with pleading 'not guilty' to bargain down the penalty, though.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 13,673 times
Just to update all.. I sent the letter to the court address and they came back to me with the fine which was whooping $285!! I simply paid it.. I dont know whether I have any points on my driving license yet or no.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garima82 View Post
Thanks for the replies.. I called the town court and they said I am supposed to mail the ticket to court address after which they'll proceed depending on what i plead.
This is my 1st ticket ever so I am planning to plead NOT GUILTY but only problem is court is 270 miles from my residence!! It means spending entire day going n coming back.
I am planning to send a note alongwoth the ticket to see if they can schedule it in district attorney's office if that wud be nearer. Lady at court office said (when i called them yesterday) they sometimes give district attorney's office address to appear. I am hoping i get that.
30+ over the limit;just pay the ticket ;it not likely you will win. Sounds likie the first timwe you got caught really doing that much over the limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive